1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with Fanfiction.net

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Peter North, May 6, 2017.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I've been noticing the past couple of days that I'm not receiving email alert from ff.net. I sent a response to the site support staff.

Is anyone else noticing a problem like this?

2. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

How long has it been for you? My latest update message was sent on the first and that's that last one shown updated in my Story > Alerts section of my profile.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'd say my last alert was on the first of May as well.

4. mrkain

mrkain Second Year

Yea no email alerts here either. They haven't been sent out since the first according to some authors I follow.

5. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

This is the biggest problem with ff.net. They won't say when they have problems and they don't respond to support questions.

6. Chadrew

Chadrew Second Year

Also if you look at "Just In" list for updated fics, it's all screwy. Only newly published stories go through, new chapters in existing ones don't register as updated.

7. Verovir

Verovir Disappeared

High Score:
    Huh? If you didn't alert me, I wouldn't've (can I write it like this?) noticed. Thank you. Now I am on a frenzy to find out which fics updated in the meantime.

8. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Looks pretty wide, to me.

I've just looked at the whole fandom "by most recent update". New stuff is getting published with the right times (there's one currently ~10 minutes old), but updates aren't changing the date of most recent update.

I went and followed the most recent update (not published), and checked my alerts section. That DID show the correct date of update, and showed it in the correct place.

So you'll have to manually check for updates, but there's a workaround to the issue.

9. Kevv

Kevv Squib

My last recent chapter email alert was on Monday as well. I haven't recieved any recent story alerts since then. However, I then got a new story alert on Friday.

10. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My last email alert was May first, as well. This is more messed up then usual from FFN.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Abso-fuckin'-lutely.

How hard is it to slap a "We're having technical difficulties" message at the top of the front page (or any page)? Maybe an item on the news page so that people who check will know they should look for chapters they might have missed? I can see where sending out an e-mail to everyone signed up for alerts would be onerous, but couldn't they at least mention it on the site?

Getting them to deal with rules infractions is next to impossible, too. Honestly, I don't know if the way FFN deals with this stuff is down to lack of staff, incompetence, contempt for their own users, or total indifference.

For the record, my last "new chapter" update was on the 1st, and my last "new story" update was on the 3rd.

12. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FFN got too big for its shoes. It's pretty obvious they don't give a shit what's going on as long as ad revenue is coming in.

13. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

I had three stories update on me in the last 24h, and no emails. Review emails have been borked since at least last week of April, too.

14. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

No emails since the first here either. I haven't had a chance to see if Scryer is affected by update date screwups, or if the search lit has the correct dates.

If you go into your alerts it'll give you a list of stories by update date, I was able to use that to see what had updated.

15. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Just so you know, whenever I see your titles, I sing "Sys-tem God!" in my head the same way they used to sing "Tro-jan Man!" in the condom commercials. :mrgreen:

16. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I was considering making this thread. Pretty sure it's site-wide, but only for story alerts.

A few of the authors I'm following posted A/Ns regarding it, and one made a new story alert (which did go through): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12476788/1/

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't get e-mail alerts so I can't comment on those, but I've been noticing that several fics have updated without saying they've updated. Stories that updated today - May 7 - still read as having their last update sometime in April, for example.

This has led me to go and manually check some of my favorite fics in the hope that they updated and just didn't let me know.

Cue disappointment.

18. fire

fire Order Member

Same for me here, just discovered some of the fics i was following updated without FFN sending notificatioj. This happened before iirc - does anyone else remember how long they took to fix this?

19. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

It's Fanfiction.net so wether it takes a week or more one can only guess.

20. Vesqu

Vesqu First Year

FFN email alert seems to be working again.