1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned To Make Old Friends - Incidental Pegasus No. 5 - K - MLP:FiM

Discussion in 'My Little Pony' started by Chengar Qordath, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: To Make Old Friends
    Author: Incidental Pegasus No. 5
    Rating: Everyone
    Genre: Adventure / Alternate Universe

Chapters: 8
    Words: 35,622
    Published: May 24, 2012
    Updated: March 4, 2013

Fandom: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
    Pairings: None listed
    Summary:
    It started out as an ordinary day for Fluttershy – waking up in her house in Cloudsdale and going to work managing the weather for Ponyville alongside her best friend Cloud Kicker. However, she finds herself troubled by feelings she can't explain, feelings that something serious is wrong. When she starts having visions of a strange life with strange ponies, she's determined to find them and find out what's going on. But how can such a timid pony convince others of what she isn't sure of herself?
    Link: Right here

I'm a big fan of this. We get a nicely developed universe with some very interesting takes on the characters that feel different enough to be a true alternate universe, but familiar enough to be the characters we know. Not to mention the ongoing mystery of where the split in the universe came and why Fluttershy is experiencing the memories of her main universe counterpart.

Also, it's got Cloud Kicker.

Checked by Minion, June 25, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Comeon, people, get out of your closets. I am hesitating to move it without further reviews, just based on the rating.

3. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

It's MLP though, and I don't want to read it :p

Edit: Wow, I didn't know we had a whole sub forum dedicated to MLP fanfics.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm on my way out, but I'll share my thoughts. Again, I read it before, but I didn't leave a review.

Pretty much as Chengar said in his post, it's clearly an alternate universe, and an interesting one at that. The characters are familiar, yet distinctly different. Applejack stayed in Manehattan and became what the unaltered Rarity wishes she was. This Rarity works for the Cakes. Pinkie sells rocks. Twilight is a struggling university student with no direction in her life (well hey, that's somewhat familiar isn't it?).

While that's interesting in all, it didn't draw me in very much. I'm curious as to why these universes diverged and why Fluttershy is experiencing these glimpses into Equestria-1 (you'll forgive me for drawing from comics with that term), but there isn't any conflict or anything to tie it all off. It's just Fluttershy meandering around wondering what's going on. I won't say it's bad, but it's... bland, I guess? It didn't stick with me. Something exciting needs to happen. Maybe not a massive, deadly Changeling invasion or anything, but, you know, something. I guess I'll give it a 3.5/5 for now.