1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter by Steven Spielberg

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Link.

Well, doing more than one book per film? I don't see it. Still it's Spielberg we are talking about, so there is a chance it would be good.

2. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ...Sounds horrible. Even Spielberg has made some bad movies, and though I'm sure it would have been successful, shortening the series by so much would have lost Warner Brothers millions upon millions of dollars. They did the right thing.

3. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

I would have greatly, greatly enjoyed a Spielberg directed (or even produced) Harry Potter series. At the time of the Philosopher's Stone, he hadn't directed a decent children's film in ten years. Honestly, I cannot imagine how good it would have been if Warners had been able convince him to shoot the seven books in live action, without melding them into fewer 'years'.

I can imagine the development of it from a children's series to a satire and the kids growing up amongst it being a dream come true for him. And for all he's made some bad films, the ratio of good against them is more on his side than almost any other director alive.

4. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The thought of an animated Harry Potter is terrifying. It would destroy the series, and what little respect it has left.

5. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I completely disagree, but I understand the risk- what you're fearing is a bad animated Harry Potter. Stuff like Wolverine and the X-men or Fantastic Four- anything where the writing and animation does injustices to the material would be a disaster.

It is a fond hope of mine that ten or fifteen years down the line, a quality shop will recreate the novels, in full, through a maxi-series. Even better if JKR gives them guidance and blessing to fill out the holes and missing pieces that would better play out her intentions. For such an effort, animation would provide excellent protection from actors aging too fast or developing the wrong way (or being inappropriately un/attractive for their role).

Spielberg's ideas were going the wrong direction: Haley Joel Osment as Harry? Please. Cast U.K. actors or go home. Compressing the story? Pointless, unless the whole story is available- it wasn't, when Spielberg wanted to do so. He wouldn't have known what was safe to sacrifice, nor where the themes were meant to be focused. E.g.: Unless you know Sirius is going to die, teasing Harry with him as a replacement father doesn't seem right.

6. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

He absolutely had some dreadful ideas towards it in the preliminary stages, but tbh the idea of casting an unknown for such an iconic role was just as- if not more- crazy. Personally, I'm still not convinced that Radcliffe has done particularly well with the role, and for all the spirit of the thing is wrong, Joel Osment would at least have acted.

Ideally, JKR would have been standing by, bitch slapping where appropriate, as she was with Columbus' team. As it stands, if Spielberg had... oh, I don't know, actually read the books instead of 2-page treatments, and knew what he'd been getting into, the films would have been very different. I kind of wish he had... what I said above is because he has a particular flair for telling a story, making childrens' (but secretly adults') films, iconic characterisation, and consistency. Even had he directed the first one and only produced the rest, we would at least have been granted seven films that look and feel as though they're a part of the same story.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I tend to think that doing Harry Potter as animation would have been spectacular. I don't really think it's possible for live action to have done it justice, and in my opinion all the movies so far have been mediocre at best.

Uhm, and by animation I mean something like "A Christmas Carol" or "Toy Story" or something, not a cartoon.

I don't like the idea of combining it into one movie. Keeping it as 7 (or as it turns out, 8) would be the way to go for various reasons. One of which, as someone said, is the money.

Such a pity this didn't happen. Ah well.