1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lets Rap About Terrible Stories

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Zombie, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Terrible is a heavy label, but I'm sure we here at DLP have come across some stories that we find truly terrible.

I use Scryer quite often. @Lord Ravenclaw has built a really great tool, and if you haven't ever used it, I'd consider it. It helps you cut through all the shit, but it also helps you find some real gems. I've been holed up in bed for the past week, and I've had a lot of time to read fics.

I've had this one bookmarked for a bit, and finally decided to give it a try.

Title: Powerless
    Author: Senyor Fier Mensheir
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    Library Category:
    Pairings: AU
    Summary: AU, Post OotP. Undergoing much suffering, Harry is rescued from his cursed life and set on a quest to gain experience and heal, in order for him to one day return to his world, and create his own destiny.

So, lemme tell you about this festering shit pile. What makes this story truly terrible is that the author doesn't have much of a grasp of what makes a story good. Its a power wank, wish-fulfillment story, and this author has dedicated a whole lot of time writing it.

There's even a sequel, called Powerful, which is much longer.

I'm about 20 chapters into this first one, out of 22. I've really went through and read everything closely, thinking that maybe there would be something that would show the authors growth.

I mean I get it. Our taste change over time, and there was probably a point in time when this might have been considered good (see:never).

You've got a ROB type character that is got this really long title.

Fate and Destiny have been anthropomorphized, and apparently they're pretty fucking useless.

Mindforts

You've got Lords of the West, East, and the Middle and something called Cirus which is the Overlord of all the other Lords? I don't know. I was kinda lost on that bit.

You've got, and this is something I've never actually seen before, a Vernon Dursley that has a magic cousin. Who is a Master of the Black Arts. His name is Varis. How original.

And he enlists the help of this cousin to put a everlasting curse "for all eternity" on the Cupboard under the Stairs, that kills Harry, but also keeps him alive, effectively making him immortal.

You've got manipulative Dumbledore.

There's Voldemort, which I can't even begin to describe how they butchered that character.

There's even Ninjas, because at some point, Harry gets transported to the Elemental Nations.

I think we have a .gif that makes fun of that, something about Wolverine Claws, a Katana, and a ninja mask.

This story takes the worst of not one but two fandoms and tries to make something of it, and they failed.

Half the chapters are the author restating the same thing they said in a previous paragraph over in the same words, and largely just inflating their word count.

I mean. I'm not a great author by any extent of the word. However I do try. There is a distinct lack of that in this story.

So, ultimately, what this thread is for is for you to post a story that you've found terrible, and to tell us why you think its terrible, as well as to share some hilarious use of tropes that you wouldn't have otherwise read. I know we've all read garbage, so post it here.

TLDR: Post your Garbage.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If we're rapping...what beat should I listen to as I read your summary?

3. Zombie

Don't be a faggot by Mos Def ;)

4. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This is the thread I've needed in my life. I love reading shitty fics.

Just a couple of days ago I had the fortune to find a story where Voldemort "regains his sanity" and ADOPTS HARRY. Through legal means! Everyone involved was fully aware that he was Voldemort, and yet through the power of plot contrivance were all powerless to stop it.

Of course, poor traumatised Harry didn't know a damn thing about Voldemort's miraculous turn to the good side, so when he gets sent against his will to the Ministry he naturally thinks he's about to die. I was already thinking that was a dick move on Voldemort's part - but then, right as he's completing the adoption papers, the author happily explains that through adopting him via these binding magical documents Voldemort also renames Harry to Henry.

I closed the window and just couldn't stop laughing. This man just adopted and renamed this poor kid entirely against his will, presumably just because he can. Just goes to show that even reformed, Voldemort is pure 100% evil.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Would it be too much of a cheap shot to just post a link to Piece of Shit--- pardon, I mean Prince of Slytherin?

6. Zombie

As long as you tell us exactly what you thinks wrong with it. By comparison though that fic that I linked is pretty terrible. Prince of Slytherin could just be a taste thing.

7. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Are you thinking about this Fic?

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/11540013/1/Benefits-of-old-laws

8. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    While this is truly bad, Zombie, I humbly offer up Kinsfire's Forever Yours, and Yours? as the worst the fandom has to offer.

The quick summary is that it's a bog-standard Kinsfire incest fic starring Harry, Hermione, and Hermione's mother. Hermione has a thing for her mother's body (she was breast-fed). At one point, Harry literally fucks Hermione's mother into becoming a witch because of Harry's potent magic[al penis]. The has everything we've come to expect with Kinsfire: horridly done Harry/Multi, the least sexy smut since 99 Shades,

manufactured angst through "woe is me, I love you both" idiocy, white-knight Harry, Hermione being hit on by her father (who, apparently, can't tear his eyes away from her breasts), said father being evil because his infidelity with a younger woman crosses a moral event horizon (whereas Hermione's mother getting it on with Harry and own daughter is morally praiseworthy), and a "cliffhanger" ending, the big "reveal" being that after a night of drunken debauchery, the two Granger witches find themselves impregnated by Harry's magic[al penis].

9. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

That is truly bad but not the worst.

10. Zombie

I can't believe you read that Pers. That's truly terrible. You must have been a different person coming out of it.

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember that fic. It was one of the first HP fanfics I read.

It almost put me off fanfiction entirely.

12. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Indeed, he was one of the authors I stumbled upon early in my fanfic reading as well (sometime after binge-reading @Taure's first stage of fanfiction, canon-compliant Harry/Ginny). I credit his work with my generally despising Harry/multi stories.

I picked one out of several by that author that could have been slotted as "worst." As I recall, we used to have the Kinsfire rating for stories that were beyond dreadful: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/threads/kinsfire-dreadful-poor-acceptable-and-myth.5086/

Edit: not sure what's up with the editor inserting all this spontaneous font-changing.

13. Zombie

Thats the rating scale I still use.

14. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Man, I was introduced to HP Fanfic by a person that absolutely adored Kinsfire, Bobmin, robst, and a host of other notorious writers from that era. Thankfully I snapped out of that in short order, and eventually steered her into greener pastures as well.

15. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

I can imagine it just fine. A serious scientist who, after a long day of work in the lab and taking care of his family, takes a bottle of horrible wine (good one would be wasted on this) into a dark basement, and finds amusement in what that other, reviled part of society is up to. It must have been a bit like going slumming.

16. Pathological Liar

Pathological Liar Second Year

I read that to see if it was as bad as you said it was, it was not as bad, it was worse.

Aside from the blatant OOCness from the characters, the romance was one of the worst I ever read. And it's only four chapters, thank God for that.

17. Pathological Liar

But in my opinion, the worst fanfic would be Dipper Goes To Taco Bell. It's not HP but Gravity Falls.

My Warning is: DON'T READ IT, EVER.

I couldn't even complete it because I nearly threw up, never touched that ever.

For HP fanfics, I don't have one, cause I like most of the fics, if they are well written, and if they are not and full of cliches, I just laugh. There are no HP fanfics that I hate.

18. Zombie

I like when a thread I've made gets used, but could you atleast follow the example I gave?

19. Pathological Liar

Sorry, but as a stranger to Gravity Falls except for some few episodes, and only reading this story when I wanted to some fics like My Immortal and 30Hs, I can't really say about tropes and such.

But if you ask me why I hate this, the simple reason is that it's totally gross and disgusting. There is no plot, just that Dipper goes to Taco Bell when the others are out, suddenly gets diarrhea, poops in his pants, goes to the bathroom and wanks off, drink his semen, eats his crap and so on. Oh, and the waiter kills him and uses his body for making food, I think.

I don't remember the website in which it was found, though it is most probably watt pad, or you can just Google it.

20. HMM

HMM Squib

High Score:
    As a stranger to Gravity Falls one extra thing you should note is that Dipper and Mabel are twelve year-old fraternal twins.

Current link here: https://pastebin.com/EdeaWwTa

Used to be on FFN but probably got taken down.

Disgusting in so many ways but it was obviously written for shock value so I wouldn't call it the worst I've ever read.

That title would be reserved for something the author genuinely wrote seriously and thought was good. I don't remember many of those types of fics as they all blend together and these days I never read them past the first few paragraphs. But one I do is A Second Chance for Love by Xeniah1999 which I haven't read in years but I believe it starts out as a typical bad H/G Soul Bond fic but gets worse and worse the longer it goes on. It was one of the first fics I read when I was 12 and amazingly enough back then I liked it. Thankfully my standards have improved a lot.

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/5780467/1/

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018