1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q3 2018 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q3 2018' started by Ched, Jul 9, 2018.

?

What's your pick for the Q3 prompt?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2018.
  1. The Elder Wand

31 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Time Travel (not Harry's POV)

15 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Vampires

56 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. Azkaban

45 vote(s)
    30.6%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The winner for Q3 was entry #5, Upside Down by Zombie!
    Runner-up was entry #6!
    Congratulations to all!
    --- --- --- --- --- ---
    And the prompt for Q3 is... VAMPIRES!

And we're off again! There's four options in the poll this time - and you have 1 week to vote - but don't panic if your favorite isn't chosen. The popular ones from the "prompts" thread will reappear in at least one future poll (so make sure to comment and 'like' your preferred prompts there so they turn up as options).

Sticking to the same method (more or less) as before for the competition itself.

Word limit: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 23rd (because the equinox!)
    Voting: September 23rd - October 6th

Send your stories to @Xiph0 once you're done.

Authors will be kept anonymous between Xiph0 & myself - and I won't know who you are til the competition finishes. It's understandable that sometimes people might guess which story is yours, or that you might need a beta-reader, so don't stress about that. And of course once the competition is over you're free to shout it far and wide.

Crossovers are allowed, however... (1) keep in mind people might not be familiar with the fandom you crossover with and therefore may not vote for it, and (2) the rule might change to 'no crossovers' for the next competition.

Voting Rules:
    After you have read and reviewed ALL entries, post in this thread with your top three stories ranked. Preferably with links to your reviews.

Before posting your Top 3 you must read and review all entries. The only real requirement here is that you leave 200+ words of useful review. If you don't know how to leave useful feedback then comment on the plot, pacing, characters, prompt usage, and anything else that comes to mind.

One of the rewards for authors participating in this competition is the feedback, critique, and overall useful commentary on their work. Don't dial it in.

In the last few competitions it was required to rank categories out of five and come up with a total score, etc. In the interest of getting more people to review and vote I'm going to make that a guideline this time (as a test run). If you're in doubt follow the formula here and you won't need to worry about being told your feedback was not useful... probably.

If you rank a story as #1 it will get 3 points, #2 will get 2 points, and #3 will get 1 point. Highest score wins. There will always be a winner. There may or may not be a runner up, depending on the number of entries and how close they are.

Go write! And use this thread for discussions and whatnot to keep it in front of people - the more they see it active the more likely they are to think of things to write.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  2. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Vote Vampires!

Every single Harry Potter fic you'll ever write will have the Elder Wand.

Challenge yourselves!

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The Elder Wand is my least favorite of these four options. The concept of the Master of Death is a fascinating one, and I love reading fanfics that have original takes on the Hallows themselves, but I think the nature of the Elder Wand is going to invite a certain style of story with less wiggle room for originality than the others.

Could be wrong though... I'll probably brainstorm tonight for all of these. If we end up picking Vampires I am so pulling out my old notes for "Gilded and Gold." I had a whole section on vampires as Harry spends a significant part of his third year with some of them in Albania. I'm sure I could play with that somehow, but whether or not I actually would...

And time travel not from Harry's POV? Remember all those old theories about how Ron was either (1) Dumbledore or (2) a Death Eater? Yup. Time travel can make those happen. I had ideas for both almost immediately. :D

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Vampire's.

Vampire's everywhere.

5. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You probably owe us a submission for triggering everyone with this... unnaturalness.

pls write something ;-;

6. Jon

If it's vampires I'll submit you into sparkly jizzness.

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    With apologies to sparkly jizzy vamps, I voted Azkaban. There are not even a handful of good prison fics in the fandom, something DLP should not let stand.

8. Jon

Are you trying to imply that there are good Vampire fics?

9. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

Azkaban and timetravel are overdone. I am looking for an original take on a vampire fic or a story focused only on the elder wand.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  10. Cobalt

Cobalt Third Year

Hi hello I never poke my head out of Little Italy but this is interesting and I voted for Azkaban.

11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

This mean you going to write something for the comp if it wins mang?

12. Cobalt

Cobalt Third Year

I can't speak for that person but I would probably write for the comp if Azkaban wins for the prompt.

13. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

You make a good point.

*Proceeds to vote for Elder Wand*

14. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've also voted for Azkaban.

15. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
  16. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I'd be up for it. (I'll try too if vamps, though somewhat less enthusiastically.)

17. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...would I be disqualified for cheating and writing about a vampire prison gang in Azkaban?

Three factions vie for supremacy: the purebloods, mudbloods, and drinkbloods.

18. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Vampires might mean that glorious HP/VTM crossover we've all longed for! :D

19. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

If Azkaban wins I think we should start a thread discussing how a wizarding prison could/should/might work considering the HP canon paints it as a completely inhumane torturous dumping ground for apparently every wizard lawbreaker.

Its pretty clear JK Rowling had never even been inside a prison from her descriptions so a lot could be done with developing it into an actual working institution. Plus as a shared setting people can workshop ideas without giving away their story which seems to have been a concern in the past.

Vampires could be cool also though turning a HP character into a vampire feels fraught with pitfalls.

20. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

The pottermore Azkaban entry paints it as this horrific abode of a serial killer where all the horror has melted into the walls themselves. It reminds me of that True american horror story where there was a house with traps around every corner. Even after they turned it into a prison I get the idea it would have been very Victorian. Although there are profoundly liberal people in wizarding society, I think there hasn't been much traction in terms of crime and punishment. They're not a rehabilitating culture.

Not open for further replies.