1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Ring Maker by Lithos Maitreya - T - Worm/LotR

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Zombie, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Title: Rink Maker
    Author: Lithos Maitreya
    Rating: T
    Fandoms: Worm / LotR crossover
    Genre: Fantasy / Spiritual
    Chapters: 36
    Words: 92,624
    Updated: August 19, 2017
    Published: July 3, 2017

Summary: Taylor Hebert had a bad day, and came out of it changed. Some parahumans can control bugs. Some can build advanced technology. Some can do unspeakable things to space and time. Taylor can make magic rings, wondrous metals, mysterious weapons, and may not be a parahuman (or, indeed, human) at all.

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12557361/1/Ring-Maker

Rating: 4/5
    I read tons of garbage. Out of all the garbage I usually have a collection of fics that I try to get others to read, this fic is one of them. It's not bad, it's not great either. Summary would be your typical Wards!Taylor. Her father only calls her Little Owl once. So that's a plus and no mentions of kiddo.

It is a crossover with Lord of the Rings but doesn't require you to have knowledge. Her power is that she can forge the actual Rings and they give her different aspects of the Wormverse powers. Update rate is fairly consistent. I didn't see it posted so I figured I would throw it up for review.

You can also find it on SB. I'm sure most of you have read it there.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2017
  2. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

I've been reading it off and on, my only major complaint would be the scene with Sophia/Shadow Stalker. It really just doesn't sit well with me. I don't know why. Other than that I can safely say I've enjoyed this fic. 3/5

3. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I'm a huge LotR fan, and despite that obvious bias I really enjoyed this. I haven't read a new Worm fic in a long time, and this was a refreshing dip back into the fandom.

Taylor's characterization is a lot of fun, and you can see how she's going to evolve and progress as the story continues and she expands her powers. The Wards are well done, though the handling of Sophia requires a little bit of suspension of disbelief. Taylor's interactions with the Protectorate are realistic, with them trying to do the best they can with that tempered by her natural distrust of the bureaucracies that failed her prior.

The Lord of the Rings parlance does stand out a fair bit, but I'm a slut for purple prose so some might take issue with it in terms of tone. Otherwise, a fun little romp that looks like it's been updating apace for a while.

Solid 4/5.

4. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Let break this down. Post rewrite this became a lot more enjoyable.

Grammar: 3/5 Some typos, run on sentences, etc. etc. It doesn't really get in the way .

Prose: Above average for SB/SV. Very readable, for the most part. I'll give it a 3.5/5, because there more than few clunky sentences sprinkled throughout the piece, and they've abandoned paragraph structure.

Characterization: Surprisingly good. This Taylor is OOC in a way that still rings true to her beliefs in canon. It makes sense that her power influences her in the way that it does. The main issue I've got with this Taylor, is that she's being way too honest with the PRT. It's very bizarre in context- especially in regards to the mind control/influencing parts of her powers. Most of the side characters are handled well enough, although it is nice to see a reasonably unflanderized version of Shadow Stalker. 4/5

Plot: Well... To be fair, this story has three of my pet peeves as major plot points: 1. Danny gets involved, 2. Redeeming Shadow Stalker, and 3. Taylor voluntarily joining the Wards. Given those flaws, the plot is still fairly interesting. However, I can't give this higher than a 3/5 because of how poorly Taylor joining the Wards is handled. There are absolutely ways to make that sort of story work, but here it was particularly grating.The PRT is far, far too laissez-faire with Taylor, once they realize what she can do. They're basically aware of it from the beginning, too. That said, this is one of the few tolerable "Danny gets involved" stories I've seen, and I'm still on the fence with the Redeem Shadow Stalker arc. It isn't far enough along to know if its successful or not. If Taylor fails, it becomes a lot more interesting.

Overall score: 13.5/20, averaged to 3.375/5, rounded to 3/5.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I dropped it when Taylor started lectured Shadow Stalker on what it means to be a hero and it wasn't a particularly interesting story before that anyway. Just another alt-power Taylor story and one who uses most of the bad tropes.

2/5

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Most people didn't think that the scene with Shadow Stalker was realistic enough. Think the primary issue with this is the fact that with most usual Alt-power fics, they are basically creating an OC with the name Taylor.

Its the same case with any HP fic. So, if you like it, thats fine, if you don't I imagine that's fine too. IIRC the SB thread they gave the author a lot of shit about the conversation as well. I kind of like how the other aspects are handled.

The rings have a extreme potential to be really OP. But, I don't read fanfic because I'm happy with a canon rehash by any means.