1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Child of Mercy by Fayr Warning - K (but its hardcore)

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by ChuckDaTruck, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Me too. One of the better HP stories out there.

2. Euphemism

Euphemism First Year

Interesting that some people consider 'Dark but Lightsided' to be an oxymoron. Perhaps the name of the section should be renamed to 'Grey'? Especially since it sounds at least twice as good (to me, anyway, your mileage may vary). 'Dark but anti-Voldemort (more Riddle's goals than Riddle himself)' would probably be more accurate, but it's uglier as a title.

Grey seems more suitable, anyway - In Dark, Harry should be evil, either support or seek to replace Voldemort, have no qualms about clubbing seals or babies, and be irrevocably against the light.

In Grey, Harry's morality is questionable but not well defined, his methods certainly darker than those of the light side, and likely to be regarded by others as growing dark. His main goal should be the destruction of Voldemort, likely because of a thirst for vengeance. Whether he is 'Lightside' is irrelevant - Dumbledore is as likely to support him as he is to condemn him. On second thought - less of the first and more of the second.

3. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

"Grey" is an ugly title. Sorry. And the subject title isn't broken, anyways, since we all know what is meant by "Dark but Light." It means Moderate. Fixing what isn't broken doesn't usually do anything other than piss people off.

Also, it should be noted that in most of what you call "Grey" stories, Dumbledore's hardly any better than Voldemort. Because of this, the "Light" and "Dark" lables are abused to the point of redundance, and have no other perpose but that of convinience -- because "Dark" is easier to type than "Voldemort and his Death Eaters," while "Light" is easier to type than "The Ministry, Dumbledore, and Dumbledore's Vigilantes."

To reiterate: the discussion of Lightness and Darkness is irrellivant in this subject, because most of the fics in this subject contend that Lightness and Darkness don't exist. Within this subject, Light and Dark are just lables that are used to refer to two of the main camps in the war, and the words have no deeper meaning than the Cops and the Criminals.

Dumbledore, while being the leader of the Light, is a sick mother fucker, and an evil bastard (according to many of the fics in this catagory). That does not, however, mean that he is not Light. Because he, and the Ministry, are the ones who have the power to define what is Good and what is Evil.

I think that "Greyness," as you call it, is a flawed concept that does not fit in the Harry Potter world. Light and Dark exist only within the minds of the citicens, and the laws of the government. And neither of those bodies acknowledge that some things are neither good nor evil. In fact, from what I understand of the Wizarding World, contending that Dark and Light don't exist is a good way to get yourself branded as Dark. So anyone claiming to be "Grey" would just be defaulted to "Dark" in the eyes of the people and the law.

You can be neutral, but if you're going to participate in the war, you're either fighting for the Establisment (as the Order of the Phoenix), or you're fighting against it (as the Death Eaters). Thus you are Light or Dark.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Well said.

5. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

IT'S BEEN [size=+2]UPDATED![/size]

And it's a dandy. Rather short, but still spectacularly written and very enjoyable to read. I hope this means that Fayr will be continuing her other story as well, but I don't really know.

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Indeed.

When MrMucus told me it had been updated, I was surprised. I had to re-read it all again since I'd forgotten what had happened at the start.

Anyway, yeah, it was short, but it was still good. I enjoyed reading it again and I hope they continue. It seems Su Li and Harry will be friends, if not more in the future.

7. cmuylistoooo

cmuylistoooo Fourth Year

i kind of wished the updated chapter was longer, but it seems fayr is back to start some writing again.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Hopefully. She might fall off the radar again, which would be pretty annoying. But you cant write if you lose the interest too.

9. Vascudo

Vascudo First Year

Holy hell,a update? ...Very short. Also Oni-san is japanese for older brother,WTH was it doing there?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  10. cmuylistoooo

cmuylistoooo Fourth Year

this chapter was fairly amusing...the ending conversation was very witty...still wondering when she is going to update her other fic...

11. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

This chapter reminded me of why I like the author. Not much happened in it, yet was interesting and it just works.

12. razz

razz Seventh Year

Two updates, now.

Ravenclaw seems to be the newest trend. I was sort of hoping this Harry would be in Slytherin, though. I really like the characterization.

5/5 from me, regardless. Unquestionably recommendable.

13. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

One of the first good stories I read, good to see that Fayr has continued with it.

Loved the way Harry handled the group towards the end of the chapter. The dialouge flowed smoothly which is great.

Hopefully Fayr changes the plot of the first year instead of having it follow the first book except with a witty Harry..been done to many times

5/5 for now

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Fair is still one of the best angst writers in Potterverse. At times, I personally find her style somewhat tiring to read, but then again, vague introspective passages are just not my thing. Objectively speaking, everything about this story is top notch.

I wonder what's up with her other story, Reign of Power?

15. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Probably on hold. She doesnt seem like the type to leave something completely unfinished.

Anyway, nice update. Ravenclaw!Harry does seem to be the new trend. It used to be Slytherin!Harry. I guess it'll move on to Hufflepuff next, eh?

16. cmuylistoooo

cmuylistoooo Fourth Year

well most ppl don't want harry falling into the darkside and believe that a ravenclaw harry would give him a more balance....

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Well, the story has been updated, apparently, but I cant read the chapter. Can anyone else?

I really hate it when this happens. It says it has five chapters, but when you click the link and enter the story, it only shows four in the dropdown box. Even if you put the number five in the url, it says the url might be outdated or somecrap.

Does this happen to anyone else sometimes? Because it annoys the fuck outta me.

18. cmuylistoooo

cmuylistoooo Fourth Year

same here.. i could not read all my updates today... retried many times...

chapter was kind of slow, and predictable....fayr said that her first year story would be unique...

19. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Actually, I quite liked this chapter. I really enjoy this characterization of Harry, I hope she doesn't ruin it later on...

20. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Well, I got it to work about 30 minutes after my last post. It was pretty good, though this element manipulation that he's got going on makes me wary. I hope she doesnt stuff it up.