1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How did you choose your forum name?

Discussion in 'The Humor Mill' started by Arthellion, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Galen

Galen DA Member

I saw the “worst summaries in fanfiction” thread and asked myself, why not one-up them?

I’ll go with the worst name in fanfiction!

seriously, it’s pretty cringe

2. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Came across the word in a flip book my friend and I were going through on a road trip once. It means the essential characteristic that defines something, and always gelled with me.

My previous nick was the first one I used on the internet, and came from a random throwaway character in a random kids book I flicked through whilst trying to work out what I should call myself on the internet. It was funny, but a disaster as no one could repeat it properly for tagging, and was too easy to search for, so I eventually switched.

3. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

To clear up the weeb confusion, it's pronounced "ūts-ayn".

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

You'll always be Ellisande to me.

We can fix that if you're unhappy with it. Numbers in nicks is so 2001

5. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Mine is a misremembered quote from The Simpsons. A late night show the TV was The Erotic Awakening of S. I thought it was adventures and now it’s stuck. I used to have “the” on there but some cunt removed it.

794E05B4-7010-4301-AED5-238847F15960.png

Click to view. Embed was acting fucky for me wasn't sure if it was for others. - Zombie

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2019
  6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Originally playing games on a BBS I was Falcon because my mid-90s friend group was really into birds of prey. I wanted Rook but it was a problem for some forgotten reason. Talon, Hawk, Magpie, Crowball, Raven were other kids. I went with Falcon because Star Wars reference that fit. I still use Falcon names in games (like Steam).

Been a variation on Cheddar since ‘96 or so (?) when I went to some computer weekend thing at a college when I was 12 (?) or so. Had to create usernames and profiles and OMG stranger danger online in chat rooms, etc. I had like 2 minutes to pick a name and it felt like EVERYTHING was taken (Falcon included) so I gave up and went with favorite food (Cheddar) and favorite show (Trek).

I still use it but I prefer to distance myself from it in areas like DLP where my interactions touch real life instead of staying anonymous.

Hence we arrive at Ched.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  7. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was using dozens of usernames for various services when I read a phenomenally edgy Naruto fic where he said "Can you hear it? The sound of silence." Then he killed everybody. I liked the turn of phrase and so TheSoundOfSilence became a thing. The name was too long for IRC, so I went by SoS in some places. Once the era of VoIP came around, people would try to say my nick out loud and they'd fuck it up constantly. Ess oh ess, Etc. Someone called me Sauce and I was like let's go with that. The Bauss was courtesy of Jon.

8. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The original reasons are lost to time, but the cause of my current name is the tyrannical admins of the site who discriminate against tomato-kind.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know, that might have been the most democratic thing to ever occur on DLP. It required considerable backing from everyday members.

Like myself.

10. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    So what you're saying is it's the people that are discriminatory, not the leaders.

11. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, our founding identity was basically elitist HP fan fiction. It’s inherently discriminatory. We’ve chilled out a lot since then, and don’t discriminate that much anymore.

But against tomatoes? Especially wise ones? You bet your pink ass we do.

12. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Those dirty transgenics make me sick.

I chose my name to avoid my online and forum life bleeding into my real life, but seeing as how it's been 10 years I feel like I can trust you cats with my real name.

I'm awesomeslut_69.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Tomatoes are also my favorite food.

14. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    I'm just going to stop right here and accuse you all of thottery.

Ched is a gem though, and I'm thrilled to have her here.

15. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

“Gaius” was my Roman name in my introductory Latin class in college. I chose it then because the vocative “Gai” sounds like English “guy,” which I thought was fun.

16. fire

fire Order Member

Apologies if this is ignorant, but isn't one's legal name changeable regardless of one's gender status? Like I might be a cis/straight guy and there's no law stopping me changing my name to Anne or Beth.

17. Longsword

Longsword Banned

Looked at my desktop background which back then was the picture of a Swiss longsword.

18. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read a lot of manga as a teenager, my local library had bits and pieces of all sorts of series. Eventually picked up Rurouni Kenshin, and the rest is history. Zanza> Zenza > Zenzao.

19. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

It was the name a friend of mine suggested for a character for the online game Tibia that we both played back in the day. I think I was maybe 11 then? xD

20. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I used to do magic tricks, but more for the learning about them than for the performing - I studied them because it was going to be the closest I could get to real magic (and I'm a massive nerd).

So I bastardised the term as someone who studied magic. Although I took 'thaum' from a Pratchett novel, pretty sure Ponder Stibbins talks about 'microthaums' as a term of magical power when designing hex, and not from knowing Latin.

Since it was a made up word, nobody else (at the time) used it, so I could use the same username for every site. Since then, I've seen other people use it, and had users on other forums contact me to find out if I'm their old friend using the same name.