1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Saving Connor by Lightning on the Wave - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by pimpostrous, Feb 25, 2006.

1. pimpostrous

pimpostrous First Year

Title: Saving Connor
    Author: Lightningonthewave
    Genre: Action/Tragedy/Drama
    Rating: M
    Pairings: HP/DM (Eventually, Very Minor Slash)
    Summary: Harry's twin Connor is the Boy Who Lived, and Harry is devoted to protecting him by making himself look ordinary. But certain people won't let Harry stay in the shadows... COMPLETE
    Link: Saving Connor

This writer is the god of updates, 1-2 chapters a day, each around 5000 words or more. I havent spotted too many errors and
    The first couple books are not all that exciting and seems like the run of the mill harry/famous brother stories, but the 2nd one gets much better and the 3rd even better.
    The first book starts off with 79,000 words, then book 2 is 165,0000; 3 is 270,000 and the fourth one is well passed the 400,000 words mark and not yet finished.

EDIT by Minion: Here is a list of the books and one additional oneshot:

Book 1: Saving Connor
    AU, eventual HPDM slash, very Slytherin!Harry. Harry's twin Connor is the Boy Who Lived, and Harry is devoted to protecting him by making himself look ordinary. But certain people won't let Harry stay in the shadows... COMPLETE
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Adventure - Chapters: 22 - Words: 79,220 - Reviews: 1282 - Updated: 10-5-05 - Published: 9-15-05 - Harry P. - Complete

Book 2: No Mouth But Some Serpent's
    AU of CoS, Slytherin!Harry. Harry goes back to Hogwarts, determined to protect his brother Connor, the BoyWhoLived, and stay in the shadows. But last year two people learned the truth about Harry... and this year, two more will. COMPLETE
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Adventure/Horror - Chapters: 33 - Words: 165,229 - Reviews: 2085 - Updated: 11-8-05 - Published: 10-9-05 - Harry P. & Draco M. - Complete

Book 3: Comes Out of Darkness Morn
    AU of PoA, Slytherin!Harry. Harry struggles to rebuild himself after the shattering events of his second year. He will finally learn the truths he needs to know...but they're hardly going to be pleasant ones. COMPLETE
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Tragedy/Drama - Chapters: 51 - Words: 273,218 - Reviews: 3231 - Updated: 12-23-05 - Published: 11-10-05 - Harry P. & Draco M. - Complete

Book 4: Freedom And Not Peace
    AU of GoF, Slytherin!Harry. Training his brother, negotiating with former Death Eaters, juggling responsibility and duty...Harry's life is running away with him, as he struggles to balance. COMPLETE
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Drama/Suspense - Chapters: 86 - Words: 491,138 - Reviews: 4230 - Updated: 3-4-06 - Published: 12-26-05 - Harry P. & Draco M. - Complete

Book 5: Wind That Shakes the Seas and Stars
    AU of OoTP, Slytherin!Harry, HPDM slash. Snape begins the year with a mistake that sets his ward against him. Now Harry is using all his own considerable cunning to ride out the multiple storms, even as the Second War goes into motion. COMPLETE
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Adventure/Drama - Chapters: 125 - Words: 770,717 - Reviews: 3492 - Updated: 6-23-06 - Published: 3-9-06 - Harry P. & Draco M. - Complete

Book 6: A Song In Time of Revolution
    AU of HBP, HPDM slash. Revolution is never an easy choice—and worse when you're trying to respect the free will of everyone, wizard and magical creature alike. Prophecy and politics and the Ministry... Harry doesn't need any more complications.
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Drama/Angst - Chapters: 124 - Words: 696,179 - Reviews: 1419 - Updated: 10-4-06 - Published: 6-28-06 - Draco M. & Harry P. - Complete

Book 7: I Am Also Thy Brother
    AU, part 7 of Sacrifices. In the wake of death and disaster, Harry struggles to be everything he is: leader, lover, son, and brother. Yet what will survive the War diminishes every day he does not find and destroy a Horcrux.
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Tragedy/Horror - Chapters: 107 - Words: 534,681 - Reviews: 1093 - Updated: 1-5-07 - Published: 10-8-06 - Draco M. & Harry P. - Complete

Oneshot: Maze of Light
    AU, short story set in my Sacrifices universe. James Potter faces a choice that is either the answer to all his mistakes, or the worst one he's ever made. Oneshot.
    Harry Potter - Rated: K+ - English - Angst - Chapters: 1 - Words: 6,218 - Reviews: 65 - Published: 12-25-05 - James P. - Complete

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
  2. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

My only problem with this story is that it is HP/DM pairing. And that Snape is good.

THe intricies of the magic is great, one of the best descriptions and such I've read however.

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, her zeal is admirable, but her stories aren't.

I tried reading Saving Conor, but brainwashed and ignorant Harry, whose life-goal is to protect his snot-nosed Boy-Who-Lived brother, while redeemed Draky-poo and Snape manipulate him to turn into a jerk like them was enough to deter me after 5-6 chapters. Large amounts of angst of every kind didn't help either.

Furthermore, from the very beggining this story seemed to be filled with "SLASH IN MAKING" kind of atmosphere, what with all the characters possesing that specific mixture of mysteriosness/toughness and inner-wussyness that SLASH fangirls seem to like so much. Powerful but confused and angsty Harry, dreamy-grey-eyed scheming Draco, snarky but kind-hearted Snape... you can almost imagine their arseholes dreading their cruel fate once their owners weeners grow big enough for drilling...

This officialy turning SLASH in 3rd/4th book sealed this series' fate in my mind. Fangirl jerkoff material IMO.

4. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

I have mixed feelings about this story.

The slash is a major turn-off, and so is the way Harry is completely brainwashed to serve his brother like a dog by his mother. IP82 covered most of the other stuff.

Although this is probably THE most detailed story i've ever seen about Pure-blood history, rituals etc.

It does get better as it goes along if you can ignore the slash, especially Freedom and Not Peace.

5. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I honestly don't feel like reading it... I read the descriptions and thought to myself "This story isn't for me."

From what you guys have said, I was probably right... Don't get me wrong, I don't mind slash, but I don't like the slashy atmosphere that accompanies fan-girl masturbation material... Seriously, you wanna make everyone tough? Ok.... But... The rest of this post is gonna be a separate thread in Mature because it devolved into a "why I hate Emo" rant.

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I ranted about this story along with the others in our IRC chatroom yesterday. Dont like it... its a shame one of the biggest Slytherin!Harry series is slash.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Umm... This is Slash, shouldn't it be moved to the Mature section?

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Nice to see you're putting your peacful-resistance-against-the-people-in-power skills up to good use... School buerocrats and Mid - beware! Gio's on the loose! :D :D :D

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

-_-

I am rather offended by your blatent disregard to this extremely well-written and promising fanfiction series.

First off, could you just ignore the slash for one second? I appreciate you can have your own veiws and all, but really; this is possibly the best fiction out there, and I'm serious about that.

Secondly; the series is not 'Fangirl jerkoff material' as you so eloquently put it, this is not a romance-centered fic that I find myself more-often-than-not nose deep in, unfortunately for me.

Another note; as for the 'brainwashed' Harry, I don't think any of you seem to be picking up that the entire plot spanning throughout the series is, in fact, about his breaking-free from the webs of compulsion which surround him FORCING him to act that way and become a vates to free the magical creatures from such webs.

If you don't feel up to reading the whole thing, maybe you should refrain from flaming it before you learn about the whole thing; 'the first five or six chapters' of a well over 200-chapter series does not constitute flaming, in my opinion.

All in all it is a great fanfiction series which entrances the reader to see beyond the surface of what is happening and appreciate the plotlines and intricate characters, subplots and dangling plot threads that the !!!WRITING TEACHER!!! author has cleverly left behind.

- Phoenix

10. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I'm awfully glad to hear someone defending this fic and series. The professionalism, the size, the quality, everything about this series deserves all the accolades and heralding it gets from so many.

That said, I've never read this, and I know enough about it that I'm quite certain I would abhor this fanfiction completely. There's not a thing about the series that even comes close to tipping the scales towards making me want to read this. If word comes out, it's JKR who wrote this, I'm not even sure I'd read it then. The subject matter, the characters, whether they are slipping each other the greasy cucumber or not, all tell me: I WILL NOT ENJOY THIS. Even if it's great, then I'll be angry that it was the ferret and Snivellus that featured so heavily. I'll wonder how good it could have been with a canon character that wasn't completely abhorrent to me.

I think a great many others on this board will be in the same boat as me. If you do read it, it will just frustrate you to see a fic with so many interesting parts, and good ideas that then get so-called "ruined" by slash, Draco, Severus, or whatever else about it irritates you to no end.

And that's why, if you are truly open-minded about these things, and like a Severitus or a redeemed!Draco, redeemed!Snape Slytherin-mindset lovefest slashy extravaganza, then this is one of the best things you can find around. But that ain't me. I've read too many horrible characterizations of Snape to ever read one with a 'truly' open mind. I would hate this thing and get irritated and pissed and rip it all to shreds on every forum it came up on. Wasted greatness. Brilliance ruined. If only.

But I am glad there are some people defending it.

11. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I completely see your point. x)

I personally love this fic, although every one of the characters is so different from canon I find myself thinking of 'Harry' as Lightning's and comparing other fics to hers, unfortunately for them :lol:

Someone once commented that this fiction would be the story that JKR would write if it weren't for her rating and 'children's books' image that PS got her, and I find myself agreeing.

However, it is -cough- a little -cough- gory ... alright, it's almost tangibly so in Freedom And Not Peace ... a fourteen-year-old loses his hand, for Lord's sake... 0-o Which is, for me, something which makes it all the more interesting, but if you aren't prepared to stick with the author through thick and thin there's no real point or even motivation to read this.

'Story', as it has been affectionately dubbed, is a fickle thing. Evidently.

- Phoenix

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Re: -_-

Like I said, I didn't like blatantly slashy atmosphere, with all the characters portrayed in a dreamy, emo sort of way. I never got far enough to see them actually come out of closet.

This is pretty much as if some guy wrote a book where all the female characters are non-romantic football watching super models. Like I said jerkoff material - not so much blatantly physical as mental and implied.

Like I said, it's not in a romantic or sexual way, but more by creating the kind of male characters (Harry, Draco and Snape mostly) that are fangirls' "dream came true" - tough and powerful on the outside, but deeply emotional and angst-ridden on the inside. Chicks dig stuff like that. Just because they are not outright fucking eachother from 11, that doesn't mean I couldn't see Slash coming from a mile away.

I clearly stated that my oppinion was based on 5-6 chapters and browsing through several more at various stages of the saga. I never implied that I have studied the whole 1,000,000 words before writing my review.

You can't expect of people who don't like some story to read ALL of it, before posting a review - especially a monstrosity like this. If I don't like it, I'm not gonna force myself reading it, but I'll sure as hell leave a review and warn the other folk about the stuff I didn't like. Don't tell me that EVERY review you've ever left was after reading the whole story.

Sorry if I haven't creamed my shorts at the mere site of your favourite Felton-rama, but I gave my honest oppinion. You can't expect everyone to like the same stuff you do.

She might as well be a Pullitzer prize winner, but if I don't like her style and ideas (not to mention lusting after Snape and Draco), I'm not gonna read it. Period.

13. apicard

apicard Guest

In my opinion. this story was ultimately disappointing, more so with what it should have been... neutral shipping. At least with Harry so it's not so much a turn-off. But, if you can ignore all the slash, this story is unusually well written for what it is. Angst is not "my cup of tea." Slash is definitely not either. However, I have trudged through all that she has written and the slashiness, not the angst or the "gore", has stopped me from reading it any faster than I normally blow through these stories.

This author's books are sprawling, well written, well imagined by the author, but her themes are a bit weird to read even though it is AU. Certain elements are irritating to read. Her "Harry" is such a confused kid that he clings to anything to keep him sane. His family life is shit, and very awkward to read. The way Dumbledore is portrayed is a super, holier-than-thou, (my - opinions - are - best - because - you - can't - possibly - know - any - better,) BLAH, BLAH, BLAH! You get the idea. Dumbledore is sadly unbelievable. I just don't see him in that way, at least not with how Rowling has written him in her books.

In my opinion, as a fan of the actual series and of reading the fan fiction, the redeeming quality of Lightning's work in her fan-series is how she portrays the Purebloods and their society. Everything else is up to personal taste... There are worst stories to be read. :mid5

14. Silent

Silent Kinky Wench

Allright, I admit I've read this in its entirety and enjoyed it.

I never reccommdended/brought it up on this website because it is not what a lot of the members here are looking for.

Why?
    - Her Harry starts out a pretty screwed-up kid. It involves lots of emotion and angst. Well done, but I've seen lots of rants about it.
    - Harry may be magically powerful, but is still controlled a great deal early on.
    - It contains slash
    - There is as much character development as plot development. Some people don't have the patience for that, or don't feel like reading that.
    - Most of the bad guys (Except LV) either end up redeemed or Harry tries to redeem them - Snape and the Malfoys among the first.
    - Harry starts out as a kid. Not all, but some don't feel like reading this in fanfic.
    - Quite AU, with characterizations that end up different from Rowling's.

Why did I read it, then? It has plot. It's huge. It has gore. It has intircate and elaborate descriptions of magic, light and dark, what it means to be pureblood, and magical creatures.

15. STrifestrike

STrifestrike Guest

Hey, Im a new member, got led here after reading nonjons great dimension hopping parody. This story has a lot of problems especially with the characters chosen in it (snape and malfoy) but its still really well written. I admire the author just for passages like this

"He chose the manifestation of a dragon, and actually saw the gleam of the dark wings for a moment as they wrapped around Voldemort’s attacking power. That power shredded his own, of course, but that was all right; his dragon only had another layer of scales under that one. The dragon crowded close and clung with four legs, and Harry moved one hand in a clenching motion, imagining it whipping its head forward and crushing the throat of Voldemort’s dragon. Harry heard a gasping breath from Voldemort, and rejoiced in the knowledge that he’d hurt the bastard.

Then Voldemort began to fight back.

Harry felt his magic expand outward, pushing, shoving him back, exploding the dragon that Harry tried to contain it with. Harry gathered in his magic as it swirled about, ignored the pain in his limbs, and stared at the earth behind Voldemort, not bothering to think of incantations this time.

Explode, he willed. Explode.

The earth leaped up in a fountain of grass and dirt, and Voldemort was knocked forward by the blast, all his attention too forcefully on Harry for him to concentrate on keeping his balance. Harry took as quick an advantage as he could, this time willing Voldemort’s windpipe to crumple, his throat to crush.

Voldemort resisted, his dead-white skin achieving the hardness of iron, and then threw Harry off. He retreated a few steps from the Burrow, circling, pleased to note that he was drawing Voldemort with him.

Then they fell into the duel, and Harry discovered a level of battle he hadn’t known existed. When two wizards were this powerful, not needing spells to contain their magic, what mattered was will, imagination, and foresight. It reminded Harry of those ancient contests of shapeshifters he’d heard of, with one becoming a sparrow and the other a hawk, one a stone and the other a beast with teeth that could crush a stone, one a mouse and another a cat. He had to try and anticipate what Voldemort was doing and counteract it, at the same moment as he had to imagine strategies that Voldemort himself would not be able to overcome.

And all on the fly.

Harry called wind that Voldemort swallowed that became a blast of force that Harry absorbed that became another tearing of earth that Voldemort resisted that flooded forth as a strike at his heart that Harry dodged that melted into a massive slap that Voldemort bore with and counteracted with an attempt to rip his ribs through his chest that Harry turned and batted home with enough strength to make Voldemort bend over and wheeze as his lungs labored that melded with breathing a cloud of poisonous gas into Harry’s face that became—"

That shits brilliant, I mean thats how I have always thought magical duels should be not this paced shit with wands but a strait up raw duel using every damn thing you have. That is great writing and it is putting into words something which I have always wanted to put into words, just how wizards should duel, the duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort in Ootp was a huge dissapointment, it was boring as hell, and most writers fail to make duels interesting in other fanfics, but this is some great stuff. I like the series just for how she approaches the topic of magic, if nothing else.

16. apocalypsemeow

apocalypsemeow Professor DLP Supporter

I shamelssly admit I read and liked this series, then stopped reading it because I decided to wait untill the fourth was finished. The thing that mainly drew me to it was the extremely fast updates. And the fact several people reccommended it on FA did so as well.

But yes, after looking around this site a bit, I figured it would be better not to mention it. I think it is a fairly good piece, all long and fairly interesting, but with the extreme happy, friendly(ish) Snape and Malfoy, emo!Harry and just kind of the way the story seemed to be leading, here was not the best place to post it.

I think that it is written fairly well, and in great detail, but something you should only read if you are not prepared to read a pretty different (i.e....slashy, kind of messed up!Harry, good!draco and good!snape)kind of story.

17. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

I read it anyway, but when it gets too graphic (Slash-wise) I'll probably stop.

But the Harry in this story is really really getting on my nerves.

18. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I am reading the first one right now... And while it had many good things going for it, I do not like the way the author chooses to characterize Harry. I understand what she is trying to do, and she is making a fine attempt. However in order to demonstrate Harry's devotion to Connor, she goes overboard just a little bit... Instead of letting the actions speak for themselves, she always has Harry "Do this so that Connor *insert random sentence about Connor's normal life*". By constantly bashing her readers over the head with this 10-times-per-chapter-sometimes-more occurence, she demeans their intelligence, by telling, rather than showing them the more important pieces of her story. This insistence to tell, rather than to show, detracts from the overall quality of the work and spins it in the direction of ever-increasing redundancy.

I also suspect it may be the reason for the quick updates... After all, when you are writing more or less the same story, just with slightly altered events, it is not that difficult to churn out the same (but ever so slightly altered) 5000 words per update.

In Saving Connor I forget which chapter it was, but she used an excellant (though cliched) metaphor of dance; however she overused it, and as a result it lost much of the power that it might have otherwise had.

And thus we have the entire problem with the work, the author (though far above the average fanfic writer) has inundated her work with redundancies, and by beating her readers over the head with her message, she strips that message of any power it might of otherwise had.

Sort of like this post. To many redundancies, and look at its length. Lightning on the Wave needs to remember the first rule of creative writing: Show, don't tell.

19. Cell

Cell Gunner of The Black Poison DLP Supporter

I see Slash,I burn the story skip,skip to my lou.I see Hp/GW,I burn the story,skip,skip to my lou.I see Dark Independent Harry :cheers: .I found Nirvana.

I read a little till I found it was gonna be "koffs"'slash'"koffs",I enjoyed the parts I read but turned off to the story with the slash pairing.

20. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Ergh!

I was just reading the fourth one... And Empath! Draco?

Good GOD!!! This shit really IS emo-fangirl jerk off material!!!