1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Vista internet security help

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Sorrows, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Basically since yesterday my vista internet security has been going ape shit, it keeps popping up and showing me all the viruses I have and urging me to buy the full program.

Is this a genuine thing or is it just trying to scare me into buying the product? and if it is how the hell do I get it to stop popping up all the damn time? do I just uninstall the whole damn thing or what.

2. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I had the same with XP, and mine won't allow me to search for anti virus.

Malwarebytes.org has a programme to remove it.

Type the direct URL in and look for the free download. When you get to the stage that it won't let you onto the site then you simply hit Ctrl-Alt-Dlt, end the program and then download and run it.

Or use a pen drive to put it on from another computer but I attempted it and it didn't appear for me.

3. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I've had that fake-virus thing twice. It disables your ability to use the Task Manager, as well as being unable to uninstall it from the Programs list (it simply just isn't there). The basic purpose of it is to try and con you into thinking you have viruses and buy their bogus program.

4. Sorrows

I have used several scans and it either hasn't found it or only gets rid of so many on the free version.

It pops up every few minuets and has disabled the setting my windows vista security so I cant turn it off.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Run Malwarebytes, download and install either Avira ( I recommend that) or Avast! and scan your system. Also try Spybot Search and Destroy. Those should get it.

Also, get off of IE, don't run strange active X from sites that you don't trust. Get adblocking. Enable your popupblocker to block all popups. You'll know which ones you need. That should stop that shit from coming up on your computer. Hope that helps.

6. Sorrows

Used search and destroy, it says my systems clean. Malwerebytes says I have a bunch of problems but only will get rid of a few on the free version. I also have SUPERantispywere and registry mechanic.

Already adblock and pop up block.

Will try Avira, cheers Zombie. :)

7. merchantofam

merchantofam Fifth Year DLP Supporter

I recommend you try Avast first Lady Sorrows, I have had some negative experience with Avira. Microsoft also has a free anti-virus, spyware and malware protection program under the name Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and for the most part hassle free, the downside being it works only for Vista and up OS.

As for the browser issue I really can't see one being better than the others. If you're going to get a virus it will happen regardless of which internet browser one employs.

However just to contradict myself: TRY FIREFOX! It rocks.

Hope this helps.

8. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

Firefox + Noscript = Good luck getting a virus.

Also, NOD32 ftw.