1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Rocket League

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Uncle Stojil, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Am I the only one going completely crazy over this awesome game?

For those who don't know, it's basically football (soccer) with jumping (and flying) cars in a closed off (domed) arena. It has 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and (not-ranked) 4v4 modes. There are a nice off-line season mode, a good replay system and pretty comprehensive tutorials for various levels. Also a decent amount of (mostly cosmetic) customization, if you care about pimping your ride or that kind of stuff.

It is spectacular enough to become a successful e-sport (there have already been fantastic tournaments with incredible games on MLG and others) but playing is incredibly fun as well. Classic example of "easy to learn, difficult to master". The servers had some lag problems (rumor is the devs didn't expect the success it had during this summer), but they're mostly under control nowadays.

Anyway, have some clips that show what I'm talking about.

2. salts

salts Third Year

I used to play a lot this past month, but sadly, the lag became an issue when connecting to regions other than Oceania, and DCs become commonplace. Still kind of waiting for them Asian servers.

Flying is godly though.

3. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

No you're not currently stuck trying to get through silver 3 in doubles.

Add me to steam..we play a game or two together.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/DLPQuickBen/

4. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Ah, silver III, I wish... I just shifted to controller two days ago, after almost a month of Keyboard&Mouse, and I'm hanging around 500 all across the boards, while I refamiliarize myself with the controls (plus while I learn how to fly properly after the relative struggles with k&m).

And yes, this game is what made me buy a controller after, like, 10 years of PC-gaming.

Anyway, added. You might teach me one things or two. Did I mention how I love being carried? :)

5. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I love this game. I'm fucking godawful at it, currently I'm sitting in the unranked zone with no hope of getting out, but I love it.

6. StrawberryPingu

StrawberryPingu Second Year

I play on the PS4 with friends, and I usually bounce around Bronze III and Silver I. Xd I'm super hooked on it though, and before school started back up, I was playing just about every day. Which is surprising, as I rarely find video games that I enjoy playing.

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I love it, play solo on ps4. None of my friends interested though, so haven't played since launch.

8. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Just reached Silver III in 2v2 (then promptly lost a game and now I'm on the cusp). With randoms too. I don't find ball-chasers anymore, which is definitely a big plus both for winning and for hair-loss reasons.

The controller does make a difference, once you start to get used to it. Now I don't just watch helplessly while everyone else goes for aerials. Dribbling is also easier to control.

9. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Just bought it today. Doing mostly 3v3. Focusing on becoming a legit goalie. Then I can just poach long centers for shots. I'm still in the lower tier skill wise so there's a lot of slap dick stradegy going on. Myself included.

10. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

ESL Go4RocketLeague Cup #8 right now on twitch. The best teams in Europe duking it out.

---------- Post automerged 09-21-2015 at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-20-2015 at 03:39 PM ----------

New Top Goals of the Week

Geez, these guys...

11. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

Had been playing it for a few days when the season started, and I'd just managed to get into silver by that time, so started at the very bottom end of Silver I. Fell into Bronze a couple of times but I just now managed to finally get to Silver III. I'm sure next game I'll lose, and fall back down, but still worth it.

Playing this a lot makes me remember the process of learning to be good at something. There's the play, then something clicks, and you play better, then you get used to it, think people are idiots for not doing that. After that, you start playing badly again, until you come up with something new that means you were an idiot for doing the thing you were amazed by before. The constant iteration and improvement is what I love about learning stuff.

This game is amazing.

12. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Just bought it yesterday and played it 'til one o'clock. A few matches against bots first, and then a few friendlies 3on3.

Already saw a few awesome scenes with a very lucky goal line save and some nice goals (even by myself). Pretty fun so far, definitely a game for gamepads.

13. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

14. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Was really big into this a few months back, really good at Duel mode in particular.

Tend to be more of a support kinda player, lay off assists, make a ton of clearances with the occasional save or goal.

One thing I'm still trying to get is a backflip goal though...

15. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

Made it to Gold I last night. Lost a couple of games after and back to S3, but I have a screenshot of being in gold, so I'm happy

16. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

In what mode? Anyway, gratz. I'm still firmly in Silver III for doubles, but I've been playing mostly 3v3 recently and I'm close to SIII (if I remember correctly 570 - mid-500 for sure anyway). I almost never play duel, anymore.

The MLG series of last week are here, if anyone's interested.

17. Inexistence

Inexistence Seventh Year

Solo 3v3. I never play duel, and just use ranked 2v2 to warm up to play some 3v3. I keep expecting each rank to stop having stupid players, but nope. Not yet.

18. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Further research suggests I'm actually shit at this game. Oh well

19. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Everyone's shit when they start, becomes garbage after a while, then okayish and finally decent. I can't attest to what comes next, yet, BUT I WILL. Just yesterday I got my first aerial-off-a-wall-shot goal (disclaimer: luck might have been involved).

Have an awesome video too, because why not.

20. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Made it to Bronze 3 in 1v1 ranked after bottoming out at 0!

Played a little of 3v3 solo and also some 2's with a friend, I could play this forever.