1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete See Noir Evil by M. McGregor - M - BTVS

Discussion in 'Television and Movies' started by CosmosGravitation, Jun 3, 2009.

1. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Title: See Noir Evil
    Author: M. McGregor
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Action
    Pairing: None
    Status: Completed, sequel started but seems on hiatus or abandoned
    Summary: They say Xander killed them all. They say Xander’s crazy. Xander says he’s crazy too. It’s only Xander’s imaginary friend who says otherwise.
    Link: Link to story on authors livejournal

One of my favorite Buffy stories. Writing is top notch, plot is engrossing, characters are consistent, even has some humor.

5/5

2. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

I read this a while ago. Very entertaining read. Got to love the randomness (Boba Fett ftw!) and how the plot works together. MMcgregor's best in my opinion. Although the ending was less than satisfactory; I know he's doing a sequel but I figured that Xander deserved a break after the crap he had to put up with. Still, 5/5 easily.

3. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

All of Mcgregor's fanfics are well done, I personally like "Zeppo in Mind" and "Defender of the Night" the best. Problem with all his fics though, is while I have no problems with a !powerful Xander fic, sometimes they just go overboard. Its not even the sort of overboard that makes you wince and keep going, its the kind that makes you blink and go 'wtf?'. I won't mention any spoilers but if you read some of his other fics you'll get what I mean.

Though here's one example, only mentioning it cause its in his most recent fic;

Xander becomes a super soldier. But not any kind, but the Marvel kind. ie: He gets injected with the serum that makes Captain America, Wolverine and the Hulk who they are. I enjoyed the whole !CaptainAmericaBadassery Xander and the !WolverineIndestructibilityWithoutTheClaws Xander, but seriously, !Hulk Xander? Makes me wince and all, but okay I'll keep reading.

EDIT: Screwed up spoiler brackets.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  4. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Those who hate the LJ interface can read the story here

Start was way too angsty for me, so I think I'll pass on this one.

His redo fic was awesome, on the other hand.

5. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Thanks, I hate Live Journal. What kind of @#$## uses it if you want people to read your work?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  6. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Quite a good story, though much darker than the rest of his work. Possibly the best part of this story is the interesting portrayal of magic in the Buffyverse.

It suffers from a Tom Holt-like never-ending ending, and the sequel has the potential to be fuck-awesome if he ever writes it. For those of you who like Illyria, she has a long cameo in this fic.

5/5

7. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

4/5

I loved the first 95% of it.
    Each plot thread flowed naturally, and every thread worked together to form a seamless whole. Xander's characterization was *awesome.* I can't begin to describe the perfection of concept, conversation, and plot. Every scene was engaging. Xander's thought processes were incredibly consistent and reasonable, especially since he was utterly out of his mind.
    I loved it loved it loved it.

Spoiler space

Now for the bad news. The ending seemed far too... simple. It felt to me like the author lost interest in the story and wanted to simply write The End. All of a sudden, "rocks fell, and everyone died." Like that. It was a tremendous let down to me.

It was still a very fine read.