1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Wandering Inn by Pirateaba - M - Original Fantasy

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Glimmervoid, Aug 28, 2017.

1. DeathShade

DeathShade Fourth Year

I have been supporting Piratebea on Patreon, so I'm actually one chapter ahead. I've stopped supporting her this month, because of the frustration I've already expressed.

The latest chapter is Laken returning to Riverfarm. It's an okay chapter. Piratebea used the "then he told her his plan" without actually telling the reader, and then just showing the reaction. I find this way of writing annoying, especially in a story like this, where you have to wait a week or more to find out what the plan actually is. It was used two times in the chapter and the chapter ends on a cliffhanger. Very annoying.
    Ryoka have a few good moments, but it is soured by the end of the chapter.
    Another huge mystery is added, that I really hope ties in to some of the other plot points, because the amount of open plot points is stupidly high.

2. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Someone on Reddit described Pirateaba's writing as several novellas being written concurrently, and it shows at times.
    I don't mind a few open plotlines, but we have the Flos, Erin, Rags, Baleros, Laken etc.
    Cutting down to Erin, Flos, Ryoka and Laken would help being a reader a lot, as I don't have to remember things that happened 500k words ago.

I haven't read the Patreon chapter yet, but in general I found the witch arc dissatisfying. The author loves portraying the wicked and evil as nuanced, which is great in some sense, but if
    Belavier had turned out to be good at her core
    I would've been very annoyed. Laken chapters in general makes me want to pull my hair out.

3. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If anyone liked this story in the past I strongly suggest reading the latest chapter. Its another huge monster chapter and imo I dont think there any really spoilery parts in it so you can just pick up this chapter and read it without needing to know prior arcs. The only thing that might be confusing is Grimalkin, hes a very strong and high level mage from Pallas.

The Horns of Hammerad are my favourite characters of this story if they survive

4. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

The status quo finally went off the rails and it seems we’re about to hit the start of a big “bystander reaction” by the wider world regarding Erin.

And of all the reasons for it...
    it’s Bird’s fault.

My sides.

5. DeathShade

DeathShade Fourth Year

Pretty much as soon as we left the Laken chapters behind, the story started getting more enjoyable again.
    My recommendation: Skip the Laken chapters. They don't really matter all that much, and they almost killed my interest in the story.

6. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

the last few chapters have felt a bit depressing. i get how some character/plot development is needed for a story to flourish but it feels like several characters have taken a few levels in [Jerkass]

magnolia for one. though she was always manipulative and dead set to vilify the antinium her latest appearance threw oil onto the fire. that said, she’s never been portrayed as ‘nice’ really, and whilst the readers have seen the free antinium as naive but ultimately well-meaning, that’s just one hive and the species as a whole is certainly xenophobic and dismissive of izril in their quest to rearm, grow, and return to their homeland. i have the least issue with this.

it did lead to erin, however, finally losing her shit and all but throwing a skill-assisted tantrum in her own inn. she obviously did not want to be calmed down, and eventually she did remove herself to let her customers enjoy themselves, though i question her decision to go to pallas whilst still doped up on magical hate-fire. a bit more leery of this decision.

finally the latest interlude chapter, geneva. geneva, geneva, geneva... i get she’s stressed out; she thinks she’s the only smart person in a dumb city, but she actively ignores well-meaning advice to *rest.* (i’m no med student, but avoiding burn out seems like something that would be taught within that profession). her deal with okasha certainly displayed the power imbalance there, which the author couched as consent issues. i even think okasha really did overstep and deserved to be slapped down. but not like this... so many things are about to go wrong and geneva is *happy* about it, if i’m reading the last few lines correctly. what a closed minded vindictive bitch.

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Starting this story from the beginning has been a real trial for me. Part of me loves the story. Most of me. But, after a month of reading, I'm halfway through the third arc. In particular, the Wistram flashbacks where there's apparently 5 of the chapters in a row... and I just completely burnt out on the story. I even tried skipping them, but I was told that there's some important stuff in there for later. This might be the single most bloated story I have ever read. My main problem is that a lot of the characters that are introduced (like Magnolia) I just don't care about, and then they start having a bigger and bigger role in the story and the author is trying to force me to care about this character and I just still don't fine them particularly interesting. Same thing with Ceria and Pisces, and now I'm faced with like 100,000 words of bullshit, and I have to read like 30k of some other character just to get back to another character that I actually like. It's like the pacing of Game of Thrones on steroids, and that's not a good thing.

8. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

For those who haven’t been keeping up, Vol. 7 finally came to a conclusion and... a lot of things have happened. I don’t even know how to feel.

To summarise, to my understanding at least:
    • Erin is (mostly) dead.
    • The Gods of Innworld (which is now canon!) have made their reappearance, being all eldritch and spooky trying to convince others to WITNESS remember them. Because they’re those types of Gods. Thanks to the magic of technology... they succeeded.
    • The faerie courts, which apparently helped to drive them off the first time at great cost, were powerless before the might of mass media.
    • Ryoka’s deuteragonist status is under threat of evolving into full-fledge protagonist, vague prophecy and all.
    • On the plus side, faerie waifu has returned... only to have the door slammed back in her face cuz eldritch beings and the like.

Am I missing anything? So... yeah.

9. Imraefi

Imraefi Third Year

The Blighted King has committed mass infanticide to summon many more Earth natives. Also he did a street preacher rant through a hole in reality about defeating the demons.

10. Barzûl

Gods? Ressurected.
    Ryoka? Full protagonist.
    Erin? Temporarily dead.
    Plot? Excessive.
    Gnoll Meet? Forgotten.
    Sharks? Jumped.

I really feel the story has taken a turn for the worse. It was always a guilty pleasure but these days it's pretty much Pirateaba trying to 'outepic' themselves. Gods, fairies, witches and self-sacrifices without consequences around every corner.
    Every second phrase is about how many people Erin know and how vague acquaintances define their existence around a woman they've met twice.

The worst part is that there are no consequences. In such a 'brutal' world nothing ever seems to happen to the main characters.
    Ivolethe was the closest, and she was a minor character. Toren got 'revived', Calruz got revived, Ceria survived, etc.

It was better in the early books but these days there are no stakes.
    We know Erin is going to survive as the series would not be able to continue without her. It's literally the one character that has infinite plot armor. Why not go for Ryoka dying? Then we at least have a little doubt whether she will be revived

TL;DR: I'm angry with everything but I still read it.

11. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

My biggest gripe about this series is the author lays out a future plot and then doesn’t come back to it for years. The Gnollmoot was first mentioned like millions of words ago back in the first or second volume. We were told the meeting was “Happening Now”like 200,000 words (4-5 chapters) ago and we’re still probably not going to see it until the summer solstice or some shit. I don’t even think Erin has been living in Innworld for a full year yet. Pacing what is thy name.

A few dozen chapters ago, one of the interludes in Westram, we found at that time on Earth is moving farther ahead, like Erin came from 2016 but there are ppl who are appearing from 2019 and such. They said that Earth has begun to notice people disappearing in thin air more and more. So I’m wondering if the Earthers the Blighted King summoned are going to be wild eye religious fanatics who think they are being raptured? Gonna have a bunch of crusaders on Innworld soon enough, I think.

Also the summoning of Oberon was just a big case of blue balls.

12. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Volume 8 has started and it perfectly showcases my main complaint of this story. You had all that crazy shit go down at the Summer Solstice and it hasn’t been mentioned once. No reactions. It’s as if none of it happened. As if finding out the gods are alive doesn’t matter. It drives me nuts.

13. Barzûl

It will probably be shown in the next chapter, where 17 different POVs react with shock and omg's.
    That said you'd think the author would be able to fill in a few words about the most important thing to happen to the Innworld in thousands of years in a 26k chapter.
    Pirateaba has the ability to churn out 100s of pages with no thought given to pacing. Makes me rant internally all the time too, lol.

There are still some gems hidden in the quantity. Wistram Days was amazing and I can read non-Ryoka chapters with little issue.
    It's all about the small things in this story.

14. Barzûl

Shamelessly doing a double post.

There's a new chapter out, 8.11 E.
    It's the first to be revised by a professional editor. It's also one of the first chapters in ages that I've really enjoyed.
    You should give it a look if you're still interested in the story.

I'll give you a hint. The E doesn't stand for Emperor.

15. Imraefi

Imraefi Third Year

I think it will be a good decision in hindsight to hire an editor for important chapters, despite the complaints and suffering of public-chapter readers (at least from what I can tell of the mood on the subreddit). The author paid significant amounts of moolah for it as well ($.25 a word, which is incredibly high).

I do wish that pirateaba would have waited a bit longer before bringing back Erin's POV. The constantly expanding storylines and POVs really slowed the story down, even taking into account the absolutely incredible output the author has. That said, it's really funny how the Putrid One's heroic sacrifice will significantly improve the Horns' odds of success.

16. Tomster10010

Tomster10010 Fourth Year

The second edited chapter drops publicly on Saturday, and it's a massive 42k word beast. My only problem with TWI has ever been that there are so many plot lines and I love them all. Even Ryoka and Laken plots.

17. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've read it and imo it's a chapter where the editing really shines. Not as many big changes as I would've thought, but they were very good ones.

18. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Pisces nearly getting his balls snipped off had me crossing my legs more and more with each word

Mammoth chapter tho. Curious how it’ll change Pisces. He came very close to having a Perill Chandler fall to the dark side.

19. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Volume 8 of The Wandering Inn is drawing to a close with only one chapter left, to be posted on Saturday.

It’s a great time to catch up if you’ve not been following the updates (or stopped reading after the end of volume 7…)

If you were turned off by volume 1 and never read further, you might give it another go - the story gets much, much better.

This has been a hell of a volume, and Volume 9 is on track to be even more intense.

20. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

I still religiously follow each update, but yeah I really don't know what can happen past here. The post above mentioning the story out-epic'ing itself with every event is, in my mind, incredibly valid and things are just coming to bigger and bigger conclusions. We get payoffs to references thousands of words in the making, only to get shown they're small beans in the scope of some bigger thing. But then wait, this bigger thing is merely one event tied to an even greater thing. Then this greater thing is just what most of the world can see of this incredibly important oh my dead gods it's the end of all existence as we know it!!!--thing.

...BUT WAIT!

And so on. Taken piecemeal at a time, waiting for the author's usual handful of updates followed by a weekly break (which I do not begrudge, their wordcounts are astonishing for their update speed) makes the whole thing palatable and you always get the sense that something new is around the corner. If you're bingeing to catch up I can easily see some sort of arc-fatigue taking place amongst new readers.