1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Competition - Q2 2020 - April - Flash Fiction

Discussion in 'Q2 - April Flash Competition' started by Ched, Apr 3, 2020.

?

What Topic? WHAT TOPIC!? WHAT!?!!1!

Poll closed Apr 7, 2020.
  1. 70 Years Later...

36.8%
  2. Two People at the Daily Prophet still have Integrity

18.4%
  3. Tom Riddle sorted into Gryffindor

28.9%
  4. April Fools

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Founders

5.3%
  6. Hogwarts

10.5%
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Also talk here if you like. I didn't wanna end up with two comp threads for this one competition and need to combine them later.

Had some fun ideas/entries this time. A bit biased towards things involving Voldemort, but I guess that's to be expected.

2. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

I ended up voting for 7 and 5. The Fleamont story was my favorite I think since it had good characterization of Fleamont and Effie and a couple neat ideas about divination. I think the use of the prompt was also pretty unique. The prose was also pretty solid.

i also liked 5. There were a couple awkward moments writing-wise, but I think the potions deal is a great frame, and it opens a lot of questions for me while also feeling complete as a flash fiction piece focusing on Gerald. I’d love to see the author return to the piece and flesh out how the statute fell.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  3. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

My favorites were #6 and #5, with an honorable mention to #7. I'm happy with the entries received. Not gonna lie, there have been some competitions in the past where I wouldn't even review, because it was such a chore to read through some of the entries and I just gave up (disclaimer: I've definitely written at least one such story myself). In this round, some fics were better than others, but none were bad. The writing style in a few stories tickled something in the back of my head and I could probably make an educated guess as to who might've written them, but the majority I had absolutely no clue on. It's reminded me that DLP has a lot of talented authors lurking around.

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed. It was a joy to read through these.

4. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I agree, some good quality stories this time. There were a lot I liked. I think sometimes the shorter word count gets more people to jump in.

Also, I think it might be a fun game to see how you score on the guessing of that 'tickling.'

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Congratulations to...!
    Uh, me. It was mine?
    Entry #7 - Fleamont Potter and the Magic Eight Ball

And the runner-up, Entry #5!
    If this was your entry let me know if you want credit or no!

...and good job to a close third as well for Entry #6, but we're not doing third places!

upload_2020-5-2_1-9-51.png

Great job everyone - glad we had so many people review and vote. And you can see how I personally voted in that image.

Authors - Feel free to claim your stories and respond to comments / feedback / whatever in your thread. I'll close them in a week or two (or when I remember) so get your thoughts in now!