1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Robes of Green (Series) by KZ55 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Mordac, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This is actually one finished story and its sequel, so there will be two sets of descriptors below.

Title: Harry Potter and the Year of Settling In
    Author: KZ55
    Rating: T
    Genre: Friendship/Adventure
    Library Category: The Alternatives
    Pairings:
    Summary: Harry Potter's been away from the wizarding world for nearly ten years. But now that he's back, he's ready to get out there and learn to the best of his abilities. Mysterious bank-package? Not interested. All that matters is getting settled into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The best school in the world. Past tense. Third-person POV. Pairings to be decided later.
    Link: FFn, Ao3

Review to old version below.

This actually starts in third year, even if first and second year are covered in flashbacks scattered through the two stories.

I really like this story because of how much it just ignores fanon and does its own thing with characters. There is some canon-rehashing, which I don't mind but I know other people do. However, I think there's enough divergence as well that all but the most extreme haters of any retread of canon won't complain.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2020
  2. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

I've read until the 17th chapter of the first story, and will take a break here. We'll see if I get back to it.
    Basically, it feels like the children are behaving far to much like children and it's just not very interesting to read about. I do not care about Quidditch-matches between Hufflepuff and Gryffindor (that Harry does not even play in!) and that has been taking up considerable more space then the Sirius Black plot which Harry is not even worried about.

But, the thing that made me put down the fic is:
    The absolute dogshit plan to capture Wormtail. Seriously? It's so stupid and badly written. All the characters involved seem to have lost their mind.

The characterization is inconsistant. Snape is a good guy in the beginning of the story (buying Harry a broom etc.) but reach the worst bashing levels of stupid pettiness the longer the story drags on.
    The other characters are just not interesting, they're not doing anything that I care about. Basically, they are behaving like 13 years old children should, but that makes for a boring read.

This get's 2/5 from me, but if someone manages to get further then me and can say that it impoves I'd gladly take another look.

3. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Story seems to have disappeared from ffn.

Edit: just checked, and it was deleted from Ao3 too.

4. Nicovi

Nicovi Fourth Year

The author were planning to delete the stories 2020-11-18 since he/she/they started a rewrite. For some reason it is seems they were deleted earlier (probably 2020-09-14).

The author also changed the name of the series from Robes of Green to The Best School in the World.

The Best School in the World series:
    Harry Potter and the Year of Settling In (AO3, FF.net) (Rewrite? - Started 2020-07-15)

Robes of Green series (now deleted):
    Harry Potter and the Year of Settling In (Prequel - Started 2020-08-10)
    Heart of Gold (Main story - Started 2019-11-09)
    The Champion of Slytherin (formerly 'The Triwizard King') (Sequel - Started 2020-05-28)

(Note: All dates above are from AO3 and there seems to be some issues with them.)

Edit: added previous name for The Champion of Slytherin.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just read through the rewrite, 8 chapters in thus far. I didn't read the original version so I've no idea how it compares, but I'd definitely say at this point its too early to tell whether its library worthy.

The author seems to have decided to start from 1st year this time, rather than cover it in flash backs. So far its 8 chapters of pretty much slice of life, kids acting mostly like kids at Hogwarts. Its not bad, but I'm not convinced its got legs to keep me interested long term unless some proper plot starts happening in the next few chapters.

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Changed OP to rewrite version, links changed. Left the old review as it was.