1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Unable to open pdfs downloaded through Firefox

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Marsupial, Sep 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Not strictly a DLP-related issue, but there are people hereabouts who are far better with this stuff than I am.

Issue is pretty much as it says. I have the latest updates for Adobe reader and Firefox installed.

I can open any pdfs I create offline. There are absolutely no issues with that whatsoever.

I can download a pdf through internet explorer with no issues whatsoever.

I can view a pdf in-browser on Firefox, but it takes several minutes to load on a fast connection. My CPU use by Firefox shoots up from the normal 2-3% to 26-27% during the entire time the pdf is loading.

I am completely unable to view a pdf that has been downloaded through Firefox. The download is completed just as quickly as via IE, but if I try to open the file it says that it is damaged and un-openable.

All internet viewing/downloads are of the exact same files from both JSTOR.

Any recommendations? Would prefer not to switch browsers, but I sort of need to be able to download journal articles.

EDIT - CORRECTION: This is only a problem with pdfs downloaded through Firefox from JSTOR. I can get articles from elsewhere on the web without a problem. Anyone else out there with JSTOR access have the same problem, or is it just me?

Edit 2: Oh for fuck's sake. http://about.jstor.org/content/firefox-pdf-issues Google first, ask questions second, google first, ask questions second... So yeah. Not just me, found a fix, yada yada yada. Feel free to delete this and/or throw rotten fruit at me.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Closed the thread but leaving it here in case someone else has the issue and finds the page.

Not open for further replies.