1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Contractual Invalidation by R-dude (Republic) - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Shezza, Aug 5, 2016.

1. rick001

rick001 Muggle

High Score:
    Was a great story! I like the way the characters are portrayed. I will rate it a solid 5/5
    The banter between Ron, Harry and Nevile was really something :D Also the way the romance between Daphne and Harry is a lot more realistic and thrilling than major marriage contract fics out there.

2. GodsAndMonsters

GodsAndMonsters Squib

High Score:
    This was a great read. The interactions between the characters was dynamic, and extremely engaging. Awesome to see Harry as a cunning and intelligent person which was never really shown in the books. Definitely 5/5 from me

3. Faun

Faun Fourth Year

High Score:
    Loved the story. When I first read the summary, I wondered if it was going to be just another one of the stories that indulge in pureblood bashing. I am glad that I read it regardless of that initial assessment.

Ron-Harry-Neville interactions were brilliantly done and weren't that much of a stretch from what could have been very canon-like.
    Harry, as written in this one, did justice to the Sorting Hat's initial assessment of him being a Slytherin. Harry is ambitious and he is cunning about it. The story leaves a lot to the imagination of the readers, all the while giving a teaser of that ambition and cunning in Harry's dealings with Daphne. I think that was one of the plus points since the author didn't have to get in detail to prove how cunning Harry was, just convince the reader that Harry can be cunning when he need to.

Daphne followed the old fanon cliche of being the perfect pureblood princess. The canon leaves her a blank canvas and r-dude managed to make the best of it.
    I really look forward to the one-shots set in this world.

4. Miner

Miner Order Member

Since Rep's not been blowing his own horn, I'll leave his new series of oneshots within the Contractual Invalidation universe here.

They're interesting oneshots, certainly stuff that I was pleasantly surprised to find this morning. The conversation between Daphne and Kera in chapter one was well executed, and I'm especially fascinated that both Harry and Daphne managed to convince the people they privately talked to give up this shard. It's an interesting character note of Harry's, I think, that he can just as successfully play with a person's emotions and feelings as he can physically subdue someone with force.

The story is darker than the original though. While the original focused more on the dates, everyday life, and other more mundane subject matters, this spin-off, especially chapter two, goes into some seriously catastrophic shit. It's not exactly to everyone's tastes, but it's still an enjoyable read nonetheless.

5. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As per usual with Rep the writing is very good although
    I don't really like the idea of angels and other Godly beings in FanFiction as it usually is a sign that the stories will go downhill, but somehow Rep made it work.

6. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I recently reread the whole story on an intercontinental flight and I noticed something.

Usually, I can never quite read at peace on any long journey, whether it be bus, train, or plane, because I get distracted quite easily by other people's movements around me. This story managed to keep me enthralled and in its grip for the entirety of the roughly 120 minutes it took me to get through it. I very rarely have that experience with any kind of book, whether it be factual or (fan-)fiction, so kudos to the author.

I found the world-building and dialogue to be entertaining and, at times, superb. Harry meeting with his lawyers is one of my favourite scenes in any work of fiction I have read. It gave off a slightly "Spectre"-y vibe to me.

All in all, a great work and an easy 5/5.

The companion pieces are well done so far, though I found the latest (second) chapter to be a bit over-the-top. The scenes between Harry & Daphne were, once again, gold though.

7. kasper

kasper Squib

High Score:
    I loved the conversations especially between Harry and Ron , the concept and the execution was good but the one thing that irked me was the whole time reading this fic i kept thinking this is not how harry would act , he was much too "Slytherin" for my good. I can never picture harry as a political manipulator but it was a minor issue and was overshadowed by great writing and a good pace

Probably i will be bashed for this but i love harry-daphne fics more than any other pairings(the one that are well executed of course)

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  8. balin

balin Second Year DLP Supporter

9. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I do. Reported.

Haven't we seen some other person with some derivative of the 'Alexx' name doing this before?

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    He was -very briefly- multi-acc'ing on DLP.

11. Ashteric

Ashteric Muggle

High Score:
    I must say I had my doubts of this fic, particularly because of the premise... but damn, it has to be one of the best fics I've read. Top 15 at the very least.
    True, I was a bit disgruntled with Harry's behaviour in the first few chapters. But later on as his intentions became known, it didn't really bother me and I even began to really like this more political Harry. Also, it didn't hurt that the ending was kick-ass as well. 4/5 from me!

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  12. tomthumb

tomthumb Squib

I wasn't sure I would like this but it was a great read. I was pleasantly surprised to find a marriage contract story that enjoyable as they normally bug me but the harry/daphne dynamic is more interesting than most I've read. 4/5 for me.

13. Pandelion

Pandelion Squib

High Score:
    I enjoyed this story very much, I have always loved the Harry/Daphne pairing, it just has so much potential. I like how you portrayed Harry in this fic, it was refreshing. It was nice to see a Harry a bit more political and "Slytherin" taking advantage of a situation that he was thrown into but at the same time, in typical Harry fashion, trying to not really hurt anyone.
    I really felt for Daphne with the whole measurments thing, how awful it must be to have your body dictated by someone else.

14. Wolfking57

Wolfking57 Muggle

High Score:
    One of the best fics I've read recently, easily a 4.5-5. Like others have said, the interactions between Harry, Ron and Neville are very good, they seem perfectly natural, which is something a lot of fics don't have. I know there have been complaints about Harry being OOC by not immediately annulling the contract, but I justify that in a couple of ways. Firstly, this story wouldn't exist if he did that, as it's the entire basis of the story. Secondly, this isn't the teenage Harry from the books. This is an ambitious and powerful wizard wanting to rise up the ranks, and if there was something he could possibly gain from not annulling I don't see why he wouldn't take it.