1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Philly Homer, May 3, 2009.

1. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

I mean, if you find characters dying to be distasteful and/or have a problem with nudity, sex and violence in your TV series, then Game of thrones probably isn't your cup of tea. But it is a pretty damn good show if those things are not putting you off.

I'd blanket recommend you to watch it normally, but seeing your hesitation I'd recommend that at least you should give the second season a try even with your misgivings and see if it catches your fancy. If you still don't think it's worth it after the second season, then I'd think it just isn't for you.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's more of a...not a fan of grimdark. It felt like his death was primarily for shock value. With the continued deaths of characters that I heard of, it just seemed to get by on hype and not much positivity.

I'm don't mind shows that are dark, but game of thrones always came across to me as edgy just to draw in a crowd.

The plot was good in the first season, but hard to enjoy if all the characters worth rooting for continuously die off.

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

God that was a whole lot of fun.

Bronn is SO gonna be killing him an ice dragon

4. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Damn, I think you're onto the ending!

5. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

1. Jon: Ok, wights are extremely vulnerable to fire. So we should be sure to bring plenty of torches and keep fires lit at all times.

Thoros: How about just two guys who can make fire swords, and only bother to light them when we're literally about to fight wights? And with the implication that if one of them dies, that's one less fire sword period.

Jon: Fine, but at least have dragonglass daggers. And be sure to use them against wights, even though the Books clearly established that does nothing but shatter the dragonglass.

2. Jorah: You know, you're father wanted me dead.

Jon: I do, and I actually want to talk about that. You tried to sell people into slavery, which is a big crime by everyone in Westeros and the one issue Dany made a big crusade about. And yet that was only ever brought up once or twice, back in the first season, and in a rather dismissive manner. Why has no one bothered to seriously discuss it?

Jorah: You don't understand, I did it because of love. And in this Show, doing things for love means you can be excused for all the stupid shit you'd possibly want. Even annul a marriage to one of your few allies, disavow your son/heir/Prince that was Promised, get the High Septon hundreds of miles away without being noticed, and marry some teenage girl just so any resulting son from said marriage would be legitimate.

3. Arya: I saw this one letter you wrote way back in the first season about asking Robb to swear allegiance to Joffrey.

Sansa: Seriously? That's what you're so angry at? That I wrote a letter so long ago trying to make peace back when Joffrey, Robb, and even Father were still alive? And when I was clearly under duress and basically just copying Cersei's words? Of all the reasons you and the Northern bannermen have to even remotely consider me a traitor, including marrying two of our enemies, you go with that? Seriously, how desperate are the Write-er, Gods, to have us fighting?

Arya: Well, how about I all but threaten you after you discover my disturbing bag of faces?

Sansa: Yep, that would do. It's amazing how after all this time apart, we spent five minutes actually being sisters reunited and the rest of the time at each other's throats for no real reason.

4. Jon: Gendry, you're the fastest. Run back to the Wall!

Gendry: How in the Seven Hells am I the fastest? Youngest, sure. But I'm also a blacksmith who spend seaso-er, years, doing nothing but sitting on a freaking rowboat. I have no leg muscles. If anything, I should be running on my hands for how strong they must be from all that rowing.

Sandor: Well, if you go now, you won't have to deal with the wight army about to attack us.

Gendry: Hold my hammer. *Proceeds to run to the wall on his hands*

5. Littlefinger: You wanted to see me about advice, Sansa?

Sansa: Yes, I just realized something: what are you still doing here? You're supposed to be Robin Arryn's regent, but he hasn't been seen for ages. The Vale lords are allegedly under your boot, and yet they clearly swore an oath to Jon. You're supposed to be rich and good with money, and yet I have yet to see you actually use that skill. Since this Season started, literally the only thing you did was get Arya to be angry with me over something stupid. So why aren't you either being kicked out of the North or being executed for a long list of crimes, including being responsible for killing my Father.

Littlefinger: Er, because the writers like me but don't actually understand me or my position/skills?

6. Jon: HOW THE F@$K AM I STILL ALIVE!?! I was dragged into freezing cold water by zombies who don't drown and want me dead, and was underwater for a very long time. I should be dead from either the hyperthermia, the drowning, the wights, or all three.

Benjen: There's no time for that now, you have to get out of here now!

Jon: Wait a minute, let me get something straight first. You were gone since season 1, only to reappear fairly briefly twice, both to save someone from a bunch of wights and give them transportation to the Wall. Why would they bother bringing you back if you're only going to be here for a quick Deus Ex Machina?

Benjen: Eh, it could be worse, I could be Nymeria. At least I actually did something productive with my screentime. Now go to Dany, who somehow expects you to survive and make your way back to the Wall.

7. Jon: Well, I'll bend the knee to you.

Dany: Actually, I have a better idea. Why don't we just marry? That way, I get a major ally on my side and you don't have to bend the knee. I swear I'm not just saying that because I've been staring at your bare chest for a while and find your scars sexy. Speaking of which, how have they not really healed yet after all this time? I know they killed you and all, but by now they should have left you more with scars than barely closed wounds.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

So, Rheagar, I take it you liked it?

7. unorfind

unorfind Third Year

Yeah Benjen appearing out of nowhere to save Jon was kinda cheap move ,also only no name unimportant characters died while fighting undead army that outnumbered them like 1000 to 1.

I have overall mixed feelings about this episode on one hand good suspenseful action filled episode on other hand it feels like writers are kinda dropping the ball at some points.

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That's a stupid question. You already know that it's one of the most heavily acclaimed shows of its era, and you already know more or less its tone. You know that it's very well-made for what it is, and you presumably know yourself well enough to know how you tend to receive that particular brand of entertainment.

That question is something only you can answer. All that we can tell you is that for a ton of people, the answer is 'yes'.

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Game of Thrones: The Frozen Lake (HBO).

Makes you appreciate the episode even more when you realize how much effort everyone involved put to have it done.

Some general points about it.

If the Night King can that easily take down a dragon then having one is just a bonus to him and not some big gain.

With that many colourful characters interacting I would expect some quotable bits of dialogue, but everyone was rather mediocre. D&D may not be GRRM, but they can do a lot better than that.

Everyone is complaining about Arya, but while I'm not a fan of her behaviour, it's probably what you could expect from most people with her experience. Unstable and wanting to solve everything with murder.

Jon and Dany's romance, while it could use a full season, is pretty well done. Nor sure how it will go in the books, if it happens, since the setup will be completely different.

10. moonlit

moonlit Muggle

May I quote this on sites other than this? (with the link to your post)
    I was never good at expressing my thoughts, but this sums what I feel (especially the Arya/Sansa thing pisses me off a lot)

11. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Undead dragon will burn that wall down like nothing. If there's one being I can envision melting down that chunk of ice (or parts of it) it's that one.

12. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Wall is more than a physical thing, it holds metaphysical weight and is protected by sorcery as well. Benjen couldn't cross it, just as the Night King and his followers could not assail the Three Eyed Raven so long as the boundary remained unbreached. It was only after Bran opened the way that the wights were able to enter. Even if the physical wall were melted, which I'm not sure it can conventionally, the armies of the dead would be unable to cross until something else changed.

13. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

I'd just find it interesting from a literary perspective, given the whole ice & fire spiel. The ultimate defense against the ice side, cracked by fire previously belonging to the enemy. There's a sense of poetic irony in that, I feel.

14. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

Hey, bro! I'm a bro, what part of you being a bro too can we talk about? Did you die? Did I know your father? Maybe you got your ass kicked by the same chick as me? No? Oh, then you must be the guy who was lost for four seasons. Stop whinging and start running, kid, you'll get to be a bro again, one day.

Also, am I the only one thinking that it's strangely convenient that the Night King brings the storm, but the guys can still spend the night surrounded by its army, there is no storm and only one of them dies from the cold?

Battle was... good, but I didn't find it as amazing as others have been. Maybe because I loved all the scenes around it, maybe because it was the second dragons-burn-everything in three episodes, or maybe because Jon saying "fall back!" when they were surrounded made me facepalm hard and my nose still hurts. But even knowing it was coming, the Night King is a fucking boss. There is gaining a level in badass and then there's OHKing a flying dragon with an ice javelin. Without momentum.

I'm on the fence for the undead dragon. Until it starts burning and/or freezing a lot of shit, my reference in giant undead lizard will still be my mental vision of zombie T-rex.

15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    To be fair, the grimdark is left behind after the first few seasons and its become rather run of the mill fantasy in the last few.

16. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Actually, much like a lot of the show, I think there was good stuff that was really good, but there was also bad stuff that was really bad.

All yours. Just let me know where you send it to, I want to see what they think of it.

17. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Hmm. The Night King was able to cross the caves threshold after he touched Bran in the vision. By crossing the Wall Bran has made it possible for the Others to cross too. Game Theory: Bran has been an ally of the White Walkers this whole time and wants them to come South after in which he will become their new King!!

18. KGB

KGB Headmaster

There was that theory that Bran goes back in time and becomes the night king. It sort of resonated with me because of how stone faced Bran has become and the general demeanour of the NK

19. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

I fully expected a dragon to die before the end (It's Game of Thrones) but it still hurt to see. Now I'm just waiting for Jon to find out who his parents are.

20. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly all the talk about Bran accidentally letting the NK through because of that touch last season? Doesn't seem necessary. The wall might be magical but so is dragonfire.

My money is on NK Viseryon just fucking burning a hole through the wall and waltzing through.

I say this but holy Christ the new NK looks just like a standing up Bran with a blue face. I'm starting to be swayed by the whole "Bran accididentally'd the timelime and he's also NK" argument.