1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's The Punisher

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by deyas, Aug 19, 2017.

1. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Well, after the credits rolled for the final episode of The Defenders S1, we got our first official teaser for The Punisher. Link. It looks like, as many guessed had already guessed, that we're going to get a season which has a good deal of focus on Frank Castle's involvement in the middle east, and, possibly, the aftermath of it in NYC, past what we already saw in DD S2. The whole theme of the teaser is memories, which could mean that it's much more flashback heavy than other seasons of Marvel's Netflix series have been thus far, definitely interesting. Other then the few flashes of Frank in military garb, possibly killing some unknown woman (though we can't tell for sure if it is Frank) and fighting with someone it appears is receiving medical attention, we didn't get too much.

Thoughts? Those of you who have read the recent iterations of the Punisher comics, have any ideas?

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I'm 100% hyped for it. Punisher is my favorite Marvel character and he was the best part of DD season 2. Can't wait, this gon' b good.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I hope this is better than the other Netflix Marvel shows. Honestly it's the only character that I know. I care fuck all about DD and the others.

4. KGB

KGB Headmaster

That was very, very John Vick...

I get it that it was probably heavily inspired by the punisher, but that was a dead dog away for being a trailer for John Vick 3: we couldn't get Keanu, so here is this Boondock Saints extra.

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He's the only one I care about in the Marvel TVU, so I'm hyped af.

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Looked promising, but I thought the logo shot undermined the tone; the implication that he'd spent time hammering it into the ground himself genuinely made me lol. Still, he was one of the best bits of DD 2, so I'm sure this will be worth a look.

7. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Better link for the aforementioned trailer.

8. Zombie

As long as he's like straight vigilante justice on motherfuckers I'll be content. I don't want like heads exploding, but like a nice beating someone to death scene because they won't stop resisting will be nice.

9. Andrela

The entire point of the Punisher is that his punishments are permanent. He argues so himself in his DD appearance. He says that if you don't kill criminals then it doesn't work because they'll just keep doing what they did

10. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

There's a pretty compelling argument (here) that this ironically makes the Punisher the most moral character in the entire Marvel universe.

11. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

If you want a good idea of what he's like, watch the first four episodes of Season 2 of Daredevil. He's featured a bit later on in the season as well, but you get a pretty good idea of what this interpretation of him is like in the first four. Oh, and here's a clip of arguably his best fight scene that we've seen so far.

Edit: I was going to go through and try to parse what we know so far with what we saw in the trailer, but this guy has already done it. Emergency Awesome. Fair warning, there's fairly heavy Daredevil S2 spoilers in that video; if the guy is correct in his assumptions, some mild spoilers for the Punisher S1. Also also, he has a pretty good guess for the release date for S1, November 10th.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  12. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

13. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

I'm starting to feel lonely here, guys. Also, battle van! More interesting then it seems at first glance, I think, since it could be indicative that this series is going to be a bit more campy then people had perhaps anticipated. All I hope for is that it doesn't go the route of Iron Fist: campy where it shouldn't be l, and stone cold serious where camp would be appreciated.

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm not saying the Netflix marvel shows couldn't do with a bit of tonal variety, but this doesn't seem like the series to try it with. Still, you never know.

15. Andrela

New trailer, get hype!

16. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Fuck me, that was amazing. Whoever did the sound design on this should get a raise. Doesn't hurt that's on the list of my all-time songs, but it just fits. I'm almost worried about how much I'm excited for this, considering the way the last few series they've done have turned out.

17. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

That might be the best fucking trailer I've ever seen. I love the Punisher, and until Jon Bernthal came around I didn't think anyone else could do it justice. The hype train is running full steam ahead.

18. Zombie

Okay that last trailer sold me. Full steam ahead on the hype train.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Only halfway through, but Punisher is a bit of a mess.

20. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Gets better after episode 9 or so.

Punisher had crippling pacing issues, and even if it did glue the main story together, I just couldn't get interested in Lewis' plotline.

Overall, I still liked it a lot, but I can tell it'll be very polarizing.