1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What would it take to get Dumbledore and Voldemort to team up?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Download, Jun 24, 2017.

1. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

A Dresden Files crossover a la AlbusPHolmes crossover fic, well, either that or a fic where during his GoF resurrection Voldemort uses a different ritual which involves a deal with DF entities and happens to inadvertently invite the DF universe back into their world (could tie it in with Merlin by saying he originally separated their worlds) and either outsiders or the summer/winter war spills through, so Voldemort and Dumbledore have to team up to save their world.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Cthulhu. :)

3. guestreader

guestreader First Year

High Score:
    Something that endangers magic itself. Voldemort values the source of his power and immortality beyond all else perhaps even his own pride. No clue what could endanger magic but Voldemort would think he could overpower or outlive any threat. I think Voldemort would have to approach Dumbledore for the alliance though.

4. loluftam

loluftam Squib

I wonder how that scene would play out. Especially given that it would be something that is actually threatening magic itself.

I also like the idea of an outside force - perhaps a country (not just one witch/wizard) beginning to make inroads to take over Britain for their gain.

5. Armani

Armani Second Year

I feel like maybe a magical ailment that is spreading through the entire magical world that depletes one magic until there is none left of it. This would probably push Voldemort to actually try to cure it with Dumbledore because he realizes that he can't do it himself. (Rather than some foreign invaders.)

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've always toyed with writing a story "within canon" with the idea of Dumbledore manipulating Tom Riddle into his service by unraveling his secrets and his true nature and tricking him into a contract of sorts -- "You work for me now, Tom. Don't forget that."

Of course, Dumbledore' perspective would see Tom Riddle's descent into madness from a child in an orphanage until the end of his Hogwarts years, and with Hagrid's framing after Myrtle's death, Dumbledore knows Tom is capable of true evil. He saves Hagrid, employing him as a keeper of the keys, but not without making his own moves to save Tom as well -- he can see his immense talent and still mistakenly believes that he can influence Tom enough to bring him back under his thumb.

Time passes with Dumbledore looking for Tom until, by mistake, he stumbles upon him at a Ministry function, where he is drinking wine with a young Lucius Malfoy and his father. Dumbledore finds a strange tattoo on Malfoy's arm and can see the dark magic in it -- he realizes immediately that Tom is attracting followers in the right circles, and knows without doubt that this will lead to bloodshed -- the Malfoys being the worst kind of Pureblood elitists and Tom far too suave not to have noticed the appeal of using their funds to his advantage.

Dumbledore attempts to kindly steer Tom in the right direction, calling him to Hogwarts and offering him a position in the faculty -- Tom salivates at the idea until it's mentioned that he will be fulfilling the Muggle Studies position. He rebels, ranting and raving as Dumbledore watches benignly, already expecting such a reaction.

Dumbledore smoothly lets on that he knows what the Dark Lord has been up to, and Riddle panics, outright attacking Dumbledore in his own office. They fight to a stand still until the gargoyle itself lands a hit as Tom's making his way out, and Dumbledore restrains Riddle long enough to have a very important conversation. Dumbledore forces him to take an Unbreakable vow to keep him neutralized -- at the risk of having him turned into Barty Crouch, Head Auror and sent to the dementors. Angry, but seeing no other way out of his predicament, Riddle accepts and has his freewill all but removed.

Tom, hell-bent on revenge, finds a way to break the contract by sacrificing portions of his soul and murdering others, all the while still "working" for Dumbledore, but once Tom has become a threat too big to ignore and Dumbledore realizes the depth of his deceit (possibly after a brutal murder too close to home), Dumbledore wishes to rectify his mistake and finds that the only way to truly kill "the Dark Lord Voldemort" is to eradicate his horcruxes one by one, though he can't find them...

TL;DR

Not sure it would be worth the time though. Plus it's not everyone's cup o tea

7. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I'd love to read that.

Someone here did something similar. Linked, on the off chance you haven't read it.

Dumbledore goes to find Riddle in Europe, and offers him the DADA job. In this AU, he never became Voldemort, and Grindelwald's killing curse bounced off of Harry.

8. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

You could have a story based around one of the horcruxes activating and seeing what this Voldemort had become be disgusted?

The bigger threat idea is interesting, and I could maybe see something AU work. Big fan of the "unholy" alliance, where both sides work together but understand that their is benefits to one side taking the brunt of the damage. Would be an interesting action thriller plot, with the tension of Voldemort eventually betraying everyone at the end. It could even be worked into a type of redemption story, or even have parallels of what the good side would become if they feared their own extinction, which is under explored theme on the side of the Pureblood fanon arguments.

It's a very interesting plot bunny.

9. Emerselda potter

Emerselda potter Squib

A bigger threat that both of them are scared of.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry Potter has got his hands on a special time-turner and is messing around with the timeline in an attempt to save everyone. Voldemort and Dumbledore realise what is happening and are forced to team up to stop him before Harry destroys the fabric of time itself.

11. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Huh, I sort of wrote that story already, albeit as a oneshot.

12. Masticarno

Masticarno Squib

High Score:
    Maybe a post-apocalyptic story? Say whatever happens (Over powered wizard, Magical virus, ancient entity beyond space and time, etc.) and Voldemort, Dumbledore, Harry and whoever else are the last ones alive. They have to embark on an epic quest to save whatever is being threatened (The world, Wizardkind, Existence in general, etc.) so they have to unite to win.

13. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    I think they would unite if Voldemort was smarter than he was in cannon , learned the true danger of muggles and the statue of secrecy was broken and muggles were scared and started a wizards genocide

14. kwrobes

kwrobes Squib

I don't even think it needs to be necessarily against muggles. Tom could definitely be an excellent politician when looking at his youthful charisma. It's possible they could make behind the scenes collaborations to deal with various political nonsense. Or maybe blackmail on each other, or exchanging favors but all behind the scenes.

15. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

What "true danger of Muggles?" Let's think this through- Muggles have decided to exterminate wizards, probably because Wizards can do horrible shit to them with basically no consequences.

Scenario 1: If this is a large, organized, multinational effort (Anti-Magic XCOM), then I can't see Dumbledore trying anything other than diplomacy until it's been exhausted. I also can't see this situation changing what Voldemort does, other than perhaps giving him more mooks to torture. Remember, he's not so much a leader as he is a serial killer with hangers-on, who pays lip service to an ideology he doesn't really care about. The minute that it becomes clear that this "Muggle Uprising" is anything resembling an existential threat, Dumbledore gets the Ministry Obliviators (or regional equivalents) to rewrite every leader in the Muggle faction to be friendly to Wizards, functionally ending the threat. Diplomancy ensues, and the status quo is preserved. Any remaining fighters are either mindwiped, killed, or jailed as terrorists.

Scenario 2: If this is a widespread, decentralized terroristic resistance, then Wizards simply use magic to avoid them or turn them in detail, whichever is convenient at the time. Neither Dumbledore nor Voldemort would need to get involved. Likely the Minister of Magic would just team up with local Government to root out the Anti-Wizard Movement, by simply promoting the idea that magic isn't real, and and the terrorists are some variety of religious bigots.

The only way that Muggles are a real threat to the Wizarding World, is if some Muggleborn Wizards side with them for political reasons- which means that the Muggles can't be genocidal. That means they basically need a somewhat reasonable stance, like that the Wizarding Government allows Wizards to harass, abuse, torture, and rape Muggles with few (if any) consequences due to how corrupt the Ministry is. Doesn't necessarily have to be completely true, but canon does suggest that Mugglebaiting is more a slap-on-the-wrist offense than a serious issue. Thus, they want to bring to heel what is ostensibly a rogue state. And in that scenario, I can think of exactly zero reasons that Dumbledore would be on the same side as Voldemort. In fact, I'd say that Dumbledore is more likely to support the Muggles, depending on exactly how corrupt the government is. Hell, in that scenario, I could see plenty of Purebloods supporting the Muggles, especially if they can get a bit of power in the process.

So TL;DR: No.

16. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:

In this world of technology and cameras everywhere a couple of oblivators isn't gonna cut it ,in that type of scenario your solutions don't work anymore, and if muggles are scared enough you know bombs/nukes are going to fall at best maybe you could obliviate a couple of people but the magical world's population is tiny and they can't destroy databases / evidence on the web

Oh and you're telling me that if the muggle government hears that wizards are allowed to kill and harass muggles without consequences they'll just sit on their asses waiting for a diplamocy solution ? hell no : people will be in the streets demanding wizards' genocide
    and a war would be launched

17. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  18. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Dude, the wizards can just destroy the physical storage for the databases. Muggleborn wizards, and their relatives, would probably be able to inform Wizards what to look for. There's already some evidence that the various stealth charms interfere with cameras and whatnot. Obliviators, who potentially about as good with the Obliviate spell as Lockhart, can rewrite a person's memories, functionally changing that person's opinion on anything- like say, making them perfectly willing after said rewrite to cover everything up.

Also, who are they going to nuke? Their own population centers? Wizards are embedded in Muggle populations.

In canon, they do. Read the Prime Minister's interlude again. I think you're kind of overestimating exactly how relevant wizards are to a Muggle government. Even Voldemort at his height wasn't a threat to Muggle England, as a whole. I doubt the Voldemort and his followers killed as many people in their entire uprising (both of them, if you count the second one) as traffic accidents claim in a single year.

However, even if in some crazy universe, Anti-Magic XCOM got off the ground- I can't see Voldemort allying with Dumbledore. Their goals are too different. Voldemort would use the war as a smokescreen to continue his cartoonish villainy. Remember, Voldemort's beef isn't with muggles; it's ultimately with the Wizarding World. I could even see him attacking Ministry forces (such as they would need to raise to make this sort of story work) to draw out such a conflict. The books show him installing a puppet to keep the status quo, while throwing a few bones to his cronies. Dumbledore would likely aid the ministry in setting up strong enough muggle repelling wards that the soldiers couldn't penetrate them.

19. BlitherBlip

BlitherBlip First Year

This says it best I think. If we're taking this not as a fanfic idea, but as a theory within the HP universe, then it would be basically impossible for Voldemort and Dumbledore to properly team up for anything other than a very brief time. Voldemort is cartoonishly evil. He's not nuanced or complex, he's a crazy evil bastard that genuinely doesn't care about anyone except himself. He was designed for Harry Potter, a perfectly good and noble character to fight against. At the first opportunity for personal gain, canon Voldemort would betray Dumbledore and probably try and team up with whatever evil they were facing together. Also keep it in mind that by the time the main series has rolled around, Voldemort is straight-up insane, it's pretty obvious that fracturing his soul so many times and literally dying has sent him around the bend.

That said, a slightly OC/expanded Voldemort teaming up to fight some ridiculously powerful threat would be super interesting to read about in a fic.

20. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    A long shooting session?

[​IMG]