1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete TRC: Little Differences by Theta Serpentis - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Cas, May 9, 2012.

1. Cas

Cas Slug Club Member

Title: TRC: Little Differences
    Author: Theta Serpentis
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama
    Chapters: 59
    Words: 246,369
    Updated: July 31, 2012
    Published: February 19, 2010

Library Category: General
    Pairings: No Pairings
    Summary: They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. From a few hours before his birth to the end of his eleventh birthday, this is the life Tom Marvolo Riddle.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5761261/1/TRC_Little_Differences

A story about Tom Riddle Junior growing up at the orphanage. It is, I believe, the first in a series of his life, called the Tom Riddle Chronicles.

This is the first instalment detailing his life from birth up to age eleven.

The first few chapters are a bit hard to get into with all the OC's, but once you get past that and get into the story, I found it really good.

The writing is good, hardly any problems that I could see.

The character development of Tom is, IMO, really good. Everything about it is believable. He isn't just born evil, it's the little differences in his life that make him slowly turn into the eleven year old Tom Riddle we were introduced to in HBP.

There are 49 chapters and over 200k words, which is more than enough to give a good review of it. I'd give it a solid 4/5 for now, and I'm up to chapter 30.

I'm not really sure what's missing to bump it up to 5/5 for me, but maybe as I read more it will just get better

EDIT by Minion, August 11, 2012:
    The author posted his story notes for seven planned but never to be realised sequels on his livejournal: http://tmr-chronicles.livejournal.com/

Checked by Minion, August 20, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013
  2. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

You know if it were reasonable, I would have given the author 5/5 just for writing over 200k words on a time-period which has virtually no information in canon; and managing to do so with many OC's.

Anyway, I read the start and I must say the writing is good, so even if it is not Harry-centric, I may continue reading this.

3. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Will read later today, this is both a placeholder and also to say that I'm super excited to see this done well.

4. Cas

Cas Slug Club Member

Just finished reading all posted chapters. Really enjoyed it, and how the author is portraying Tom.

I think she used Martha perfectly to influence Tom into the young man/person he becomes.

up to 5/5 for me

5. Portus

Portus Heir

So what does TRC stand for, the Asian version of TLC?

6. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Think it was covered above, but it's Tom Riddle Chronicles.

7. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

It's hard for me to get into this story... I just feel no connection. Writing seems decent overall though.

Impressive amount of content, wish it would hook me in as there isn't a ton of quality fics around.

3/5 (Mostly because I feel bored as I read it)

8. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

I couldn't really get past the first chapter, but I'll give kudos for writing this plot bunny down. It must not be easy with all the oc's, and there really isn't much information from canon on Voldemort's childhood.

9. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I had difficulty going pass the first chapters. I'm probably not the only one who doesn't really care about reading from a less than 1 year old boy point of view. It's annoying and while some information presented are important in the long run, it ruins a bit the immersion.

I did read it all, and it gets better in the last chapters obviously, Tom being older and more coherent. Little pet peeves, the magic being scientifically explained by the doctor.

I'd give 3/5 for the good writing.

10. Rapscallion

Read the last posted chapter and I will point out the following things:

i)The starting chapters have nothing in it, it's outright boring.

ii)After many attempts I finally reached the later chapters, and this is where the life comes into the story. Still, there is not much to bind you plot wise.

iii)But the best thing about the story is its writing. It's consistent throughout, and it was the writing alone that convinced me to keep reading the story. Author does a great job portraying Tom's emotions and mental state.

He had long since given up on trying to befriend the others – it was, as he understood it, just a part of the way the world worked: children laughed, whispers were traded, birds flew, fish swam and Tom wasn't welcome.

Things like that really just make up the whole story.

So for the writing alone I would give this 4/5. But as author says, he will post the sequel about school years. That would be the thing to look out for, especially if the writing is one par with this one.

11. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

In the last author note, he said he wouldn't post the sequel after this. Something about focusing on original work.

12. Rapscallion

What?:(

I read the whole 50 chapters so that I don't find it difficult while reading the sequel. And now this.

Author should have written this information in bold letters, cause I thought the whole of A/N was reply to reviews.

13. Cas

Cas Slug Club Member

It's a shame that the sequels won't be done, as they were what me, and I think most other people were looking forward to.

The author did say that they would be making their notes for the sequel available though for anybody who wished to read them.

14. Rapscallion

Author has uploaded the Notes as stated above and I felt that some of you might want to look at it. It's on livejournal here : Notes for TRC

The story did deserve a good ending.

15. Cas

Cas Slug Club Member

A shame the author chose not to write the hogwarts years, looking at the notes, it would have made for a very good read.

16. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I'd gladly take The Eight People You Meet When Dead itself. If only for the Lily, Martha, Amy, Slytherin, and Riddle Sr. parts.

17. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

So the author, Theta Serpentis, has come out and stated that they plan to delete their stories, including this one, which means this story, which is in the Library, unfortunately won't be around much longer.

However the author has stated he is willing to send copies of the story to people who PM him before it is deleted on the 14th of March (coincidentally my birthday), and he deletes his account of the 17th, so if you still want to read this story I might advise taking advantage of the offer, as I already have.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  18. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Minion the authors notes in the first post have been deleted. As, presumably, the story is about to be.

I think I read a good chunk of this, but not prepared to give it a review just off recollection.

19. kelkorkesis

kelkorkesis DA Member

High Score:
    While the fiction is not available on fanfiction.net, you can still access the whole fiction via google.

First few chapters were very slow to read through story becomes more and more entertaining as Tom grew up. Amy, Dennis and Martha and Tom's relationship with them were very nice to read. Story tries to give meaningful explanations we saw in sixth book while portraying Tom Riddle in a sympathetic light which I enjoyed greatly. Writer utilizes real world history to flavor the story and manages this competently

Writing is consistent through all chapters, and might be strongest aspect of the story itself.

I have only two qualms about the story. First one is scientific explanation of magic. However, since I subscribed Taure's explanation of HP magic and as far as understand understanding unravels magic, I can somehow manage to accept this.

Second one is
    Incapacity to speak of Merope Gaunt's ghost. If Nick and bunch of fully decapitated ghosts can speak there should be no reason for a throat cut to block a ghost's speaking ability.

Overall I rate this fiction as 4.5/5. It is slow, Time to time it becomes borderline boring but it is fascinating read which humanizes Tom Riddle and has consistent and quality writing.

20. reputlet

reputlet Squib