1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Framed & Fractured by Antediluvian Poet - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Paradise, May 23, 2018.

1. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Title: Framed & Fractured
    Author: Antediluvian Poet
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Mystery
    Library Category:
    Pairings:
    Summary: Harry was trapped in a magical painting with no way out. His only company was the suspicious and curious stares of Tom Riddle. As Fate delivered this impossible crossing, an improbable and dangerous bond is made. Unconventional Time-Travel.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10954546/1/Framed-Fractured

This is actually pretty amazing but sadly seems abandoned but what is there is pretty great. Reminds me of Ectomancer oddly enough, basically Harry gets trapped in a some sort of cursed portrait and has to figure a way out with what is in there.

The portrait is in the Room of Requirement in 1943 and the only person who uses it in that time period is Tom Riddle. Who at the time is completing a task set to him by head boy, Fleamont Potter. To find out about the illicit potion trade going on within Hogwarts. While he also tries to study and find out more information about an esoteric art known as Alchemy.

What is the Vengeful Spirit, who created the cursed portrait, what is going on with Lestrange and Avery, and what is beyond the locked door?

5/5

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

It's certainly a novel idea. As far as summaries go, this one is pretty serviceable too.

As for the writing, the author has a decent grasp on the mechanics. Tries to be too fancy with the metaphors at times, but it was never too annoying.

The biggest drawback to this story however, is 1) How short it is, and 2) How pointless some of the chapters were.

Chapters 2 to 4, in particular, spent a lot of time wafting about unnecessarily in my opinion. The story would have been far better off starting straight with Tom finding Harry-in-a-Portrait given how weak the transition was between that and the opening scene. The opening itself wasn't bad, but the follow up was definitely meh.

Chapters 5 and 6 takes a sharp turn for the better with something resembling a plot finally coming into play and the actual mysteries in the story being brought to the forefront.

Given all that, I can't really rate this higher than a 3. It could easily be a 4 if it had a few more chapters of substance to it, but it's really not something library worthy to be able to write a great 10-15k (which is what chapter 1, 5 and 6 should roughly amount to) words of plot before letting your story sputter and die. If it ever updates again, then I'd reconsider my scoring.

3/5 for now.

3. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

Characterization of Young!Tom and pre-fame!Dumbledore is perfect in this fic. I feel the recommendation is premature, but the fic has potential.

Fic was garrulous and sudden glimpses of thought processes were jarring.

Fic seems to perpetuate the cliche that students with a hard home life go to slytherin.

I think we must expect great things from this fic.

2/5, subject to change with updates...

4. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We have a wildly different way of describing fics we rate at 2/5.