1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What quests are you following?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Xepheria, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
  2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What are quests anyway? I thought it was basically handing over some story decisions to the voting followers, which is in my mind precisely how not to write a story, but there seems to be more to it. I see all those confusing stats in the first link. Is it like a DnD campaign? I truly do not understand the appeal.

3. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

It's basically a play-by-vote. Not quite a D&D campaign, not quite a story. Basically, story fragments lead to a decision, and the readers choose what they want to read.

Mostly I ran out of stories and wanted more things to read. Tip: Use 'reader mode' and you can skip all the discussion and just read the story content.

I also read the following:
    * AGG: Rise - Very long lived. Probably a guilty pleasure.
    * To Be A Master - Your Name plot in the Pokemon world.
    * Xander Quest - Slowest progression ever but Xander as an 8-year old Ganondorf reincarnation is the right type of absurd.
    * Take It Back - Zelda in DA. I've never played DA so no idea how relevant it is.
    * An Inspiring Engineer - One Piece SI in This Bites! world.

* A Destiny of Strife - Long-lived Hollow quest. Started as base hollow, now at Adjuchas stage. Strong recommendation.
    * The Cold Front Badge - Pokemon Gym Leader quest by a strong established author.
    * Marked for Death - Despite bearing a 'rational' label with all that inspires, the writing and storytelling is competent.
    * Magical Girl Escalation Taylor - Worm/Nanoha crossover.
    * Shining Example - Worm quest where you play a fourth original triumvurate member.
    * Of Royal Blood - Zelda BotW-inspired quest

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I see that a lot of this is anime-based. Guess I'll stick to traditional fanfic then, but thanks for trying anyway.

5. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Xeph, could you post a bit explaining the quests you linked like EsperJones did? I'm far too lazy to be expected to click on several different links.

6. apoc

apoc The Once and Ginger King DLP Supporter

Here is one I've been reading, "Corvinda Scathes and the Warlocks of the Lantern",starring an eleven year old pureblood girl several years after the end of Deathly Hallows. It's newish and a bit short right now, but the writing is good and I'm pretty excited for where it might go.

7. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I used to follow A Sword without a Hilt pretty regularly. I fell off a few months ago and never got back on, but i think it's a good time waster. It's a crossover between aSoIaF and DnD featuring a sane Viserys as the main character. The SV personalities driving the vote can be irritating at times, but I think the QM has done a good job of writing and keeping the plot flowing for the most part.

8. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only quest I'm following at the moment isMachine in the Ghost, a Ryouko and Clarisse from the Madoka Magica epic To The Stars (It's in the library, go take a read) timetravel fic where they end up in Pre-Madokami Mitikihara during the events of part of the anime.

I generally have little interest in quests and I'm not really sure why I'm following Machine in the Ghost. I haven't done any voting participation though, just read the story.

9. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:

Sure thing!

Paths of Industrialisation by Academia Nut

A quest in which the players guide a nation through the tumultuous nineteenth century, where the old orders have fallen, and a new paradigm has emerged; industrialise or die. Do try and avoid all those revolutionaries whilst you're at it.

Sequel to Paths of Civilisation, which I recommend a read through - player created nation was guided through the stone age until the early medieval. Noted to be an absolute saltmine, though remarkably less so in the sequel. PoI also has a pretty damn high level of discussion (from invested players anyway), which has kinda spoiled me for a lot of other quests.

Now You Feel Like Number None by Omicron

Probably the best Bleach fanwork on the internet, by a huge margin. The player character was the last arrancar created before Aizen returned with the completed Hokyoku and instituted the new generation. Really calls back to early Bleach's horror themes, plays fast and loose with canon, discarding the bits that don't make sense.

The protagonist is adorable as well, with aesthetics similar to Hollow Knight. Extremely active fan community, with some fabulous artwork/sidestories produced. I've done some artwork for it as well.

Just look at this (image credit to Krekalie):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nemoball :D

[​IMG]

Of Noble Purpose by Maugan Ra

Maugan Ra's second Bleach quest, a massive improvement over his first, the infamous We Stand in Awe (which went off the rails rather quickly due to rampant power growth from fanworks/omakes). Follows a young Shihoin noble in the wake of Yorouichi's betrayal as she enters the ranks of the Shinigami, and tries to claw back her family's good name.

The Second Uchiha by Rep

Also hosted here on DLP. Sasuke is the player character, and his family trauma is somehow even more apparent. Wonderfully written.

To Be a Master by Red Flag

Kimi no Na Wa (Your Name) in Pokemon. Very mechanics heavy quest if you want to actually participate in it, but updates extremely frequently, and the overall narrative is really enjoyable.

Beyond Our Reach by Ensou

This one is in its early stages, but Ensou is a great writer. Think... sci-fi superpower academy thing? Not quite sure how to describe it. Looks very promising, but slow update rate.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  10. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

If it wasn't obvious it's a player driven storyline in which you vote on outcomes. Most Fandoms have atleast one quest, but yeah lots of anime.

Recently started Of Nobel Purpose. But otherwise I don't follow quest too heavily because it's hard too find one I like.

11. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

12. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    If you're following Noble Purpose, would definitely recommend Number None as your next port of call.

13. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I quite like the concept of quests, I have to say. Sure, there is of course an advantage to a story that is told and crafted with a single voice and vision that is impossible to capture with that format but it has its own advantages in turn. Your level of engagement, for one and the discussions that can arise from it. There is a certain unpredictability to quests and if dice are involved there is a randomness and more importantly, the possibility of failure, which really adds to the experience if you like that sort of thing.

It's also always cool when a medium takes advantage of its unique features. Promises of Power is a quest that is quite excellent for the most part and it for example had a feature where once you rolled for an action, if you failed, you could reroll but if you did your character would gain demonic corruption, making her lose her humanity and thus a worse person and as such it could do something a book or a movie can't do. It had a tangible effect on the character and story.

Sure, it can also be frustrating, not going to deny that. Discussions can run in circles, people can vote for the objectively worse choice for dumb reasons and yeah, depending on where the quest is, the audience can be rather toxic and notably very unfun but once all the conditions are met, quests can be rather entertaining.

I don't always check omakes, but the idea that producing content (fanart, one shots, etc) as a fan of the story is giving experience or otherwise benefits to the main character is a pretty cool thing, imo. Interesting stuff, but I can understand how it is not everyone's thing.

Anyone know a good/famous Harry Potter Quest?

14. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    I can't recall any. Certainly seems like a massive gap in the market :V

15. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Only one I kinda keep tabs on is Dragon in the North but I hate pretty much everything about it these days...

16. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I have to admit that this is similar for me too. A few years ago I really liked quests but nowadays I struggle to find much enjoyment from them and have really come to dislike the culture and behaviour around them. Though there are still a few I follow around, mostly using reader mode.

Xeph already mentioned "Of Noble Purpose" which I think is certainly one of the more interesting quests out there. If you are interested in xianxia I would also suggest Forge of Destiny which is probably better written than most "real" webnovels in the genre and an entertaining read even if I personally dropped it due to not really liking where the thread wanted to take the story. And then there isMagna Graecia and its sequel which are about a greek colony in southern Italy around 470 BCE. Here it is less the storytelling and more the setting itself that made me really enjoy the story (Be warned though that updates tend to be quite sporadic and the quest goes from one hiatus to another).

And in my opinion the new Path of Industrialization is nowhere near as interesting as its predecessor which had far more diversity and seemed less bound towards a single interpretation. And certainly less of the whole "rational and smart leader making necessary decisions" trope that plaques most of the quest genre.

17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty much Zenzao's Pokemon quest, which I love.

I do wish there were more good Pokemon ones, as I'm pretty sure I've run out of any fics to do with Pokemon at this point. It's a desolate place.

18. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Zenzao's quest is really fun but give the above linked To Be A Master quest a shot @Rehio. Watch Your Name first, though. Once I catch up on it, might put it up for review unless Esper Jones does it first, of course.

19. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

20. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    Having read through Destiny of Strife, it's alright. Don't think it comes close to Number None though, which is my absolute favourite thing in the fandom :V

going to keep shilling number none, because it has BestMoth.

On a side note, I'm currently in the process of adapting the ONP system for a pure HP quest, which is in the planning stage atm.