1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Riley, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I remembered to find the profession trainers... the one thing I didn't remember was to actually buy the stuff I need to make things. Doesn't seem like there's anyone in all of Voldun who sells tailoring thread. I also still don't have the portal skill to the new place (assuming there is one)

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It took me fucking forever to find the lady who sells Distilled Water for Inscription, he was in such a random place it was absurd, nowhere near the trainers and on the other side of town...

Look up the specific item on WoWhead, it's probably around.

3. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

If anyone is interested it’s Spirit of Eche’ro Archeology time in Dalaran. It’ll be another 6 months I think before it’s available again.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So, possibly stupid question but cut me some slack, I started recently.

I've hit 120 since yesterday, and am friendly with all the factions, yet I can't see World Quests. What's up with that? Google mentioned something about a Quest, but I went to the guy (Wyrmrest or w/e) and he only had a quest for the Horde side area, not the one I saw mentioned.

What am I missing?

5. Anarchy

gotta complete the war campaign i think

6. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Yeah you've got to complete the war campaign.

7. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    What comprises the war campaign exactly?

8. Anarchy

all the stuff at the war table on the banshee's wail. similar to the class campaign in legion.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    In case y'all don't know, before you start world questing, make sure you buy an Inscription contract from the AH for the faction you want.

Single use, in effect until you use another, and gives rep for that faction when you do wq etc.

I think the champion of Azeroth one gives ilvls to the neck, but Tort seekers gives me good recipes...

10. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

In terms of min-maxing, Champions of Azeroth is the way to go. You get 350 helm with azerite traits at exalted, and significant ilevel gains for your neck.

That said, Tortollan is probably the more interesting one to level so whatever.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    I need tortollan for lvl3 darkmoon card plan. Then I'll do CoA.

12. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

The War campaign are the orange quest givers on your boat. They're the big quest chains that is tied to your faction moving against the other faction. So yes, you need to go to the Horde continent to proceed. Once you've done the three foothold quests (Vol'dun, Nazmir, Zaldazar) you get the quest to unlock the WQ.

On another note: I hit 120 the day of release (well...the morning). I was hoping to find some people in my guild to do Heroics dungeons and Mythics as Havoc, but the 4-5 x 120 before me were already in a premade group. So I ended up playing Vengeance and trying my luck at making my own group. Next day, we were entering Mythics with a really weird comp. It made some of the fight super easy, others really really difficult.

DH - Tank
    Shaman - healer
    Warrior -Arms
    Warlock - Aff
    Druid - Boom

But yeah, it's day 3 (4?) and we're keeping up with the "main team". We did all of Kul Tiras' Mythic yesterday, and finished the Zandalar's one today. We had a really rough time with Shrine of the Storm; the last boss was really difficult with the unreliable interrupts that we had for the 2nd phase. Other than that, Waycrest Manor and Temple are probably some of the most difficult wise: you'll want a bit more gear than 300's before attempting them if you're not in a solid group. The mobs hit really hard, and the last boss of Temple requires a lot of healing output from your healer.

The artwork this expansion is freaking awesome. Atal'Dazar, Waycrest Manor, Shrine, and Temple of Sethraliss are gorgeous. The zones are also pretty awesome visually; also goddamn that music is awesome.

I've also really enjoyed the War Campaign, and the world pvp.

_

I had never participated in an expansion launch quite like this, and I suggest it for anyone who truly enjoys wow. It's the perfect opportunity to make new friends as you hit max level and scramble to gear up asap for raids or w/e. People are online all the time, helping each others out, organizing stuff, grouping for WQ. However, I think the best part for me has been to figure out the dungeons. We didn't read guide, we just went in and tried to figure stuff out through the dungeon finder. It was fun. Sure we wiped a lot on some bosses (Shrine), but the camaraderie as everyone was offering suggestions, and trying to figure out the mechanics were well worth it.

Current ilvl: 330! Maintain the cap for Mythic Raid on week 4!

13. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Also, people who're familiar with the Auction House...
    If you want to make some Quick Gold (I play with tokens), stand there for like 2 hours just watching items.
    People who are probably returning players and New players are making some epic mistakes there...
    I just Made about 12000 Gold in 30 minutes. Someone had listed 200 + 112 stacks Tidespray Linen at 1.50. Where as the minimum price other people were selling at was 8.50.
    Storm silver being listed at 8. Whereas standard price is 69.
    It goes on...

Just go to your faction AH if you're on medium/high/Full Server.

And I finally bought my Deathwing... ahem, Arcadian War turtle.
    Must have for people collecting mounts. <3

14. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Having done every mythic this week on day 3, I think the most overturned boss is the Shrine last boss. Every other boss was at most two tries by my group (BrewM, Resto, Havoc, Assassination, Boomkin) but that one dude took us 12 attempts.

On the flip side, Waycrest Manor is a gimme if you have even a little innate cleave.

15. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Carbot Animations is at it again with the BfA trailer.

16. Anarchy

Man, what a long first week, and it's not even technically over yet. I don't even have that much free time. I work 12 hours days, and I had 2 5+ hours magic sessions this week, and I still felt like I played wow for 100 hours. Grinding from 110-120, doing literally every available quest in every zone, clearing every WQ including the pet battles multiple times, it's been fun. I even did about 30-40 dungeons.

So, impressions.

Island expeditions are a fail. It's just such little reward for doing each individual one. There's no real benefit to doing heroic over normal, and heroic is much harder. It takes less of them to get the weekly reward, but it takes longer to complete than a normal, so really all it does is increase stress levels. Either way, it's about 2 hours for 3000k AP, which IS worth it, it just doesn't feel very satisfying. There should be a loot reward at the end or something. And fwiw, there's actually a pretty long wait time for these, which is almost unfathomable since it's 3 player scenarios where spec doesn't matter at all. If they were popular, they should fire instantly. Or something.

I love most of the new dungeons. I've done a lot of them (though probably not even the most in the guild), yet somehow I have yet to get randomized into the Underrot. The first time I did Waycrest Manor was almost a magical experience, I loved it. We got lost multiple times, and the music was perfect. Bosses were pretty easy as well, which is always good. Tol Dagor has got to be my least favorite one. It's not hard (though I still don't know how the third boss works, other than dodge fire), but there's so much fucking trash. I hate that worse than the trash leading up to the last boss in the motherlode (which is pretty much just a Bowser fight). It's kinda crazy how across the spectrum some of the fights are in difficulty, though I suspect a lot of the fights rely solely on the healer. Temple of Sethrallis felt like it has nothing of note except that one suppression room sorta place, and the bosses were jokes. but Atal'Dazar has a bunch of bosses that can easily wipe you if someone isn't paying attention.

As for gear... I sort of like the Heart of Azeroth gimmick. It's kinda like AP, but not as obnoxious. I think? I guess there will be pressure for people to get them to level 60 or whatever early on, which sounds tedious. That being said, I don't like Azerite gear. Well, I like the idea of it. I got some pretty good peices with good abilities. But, I don't like that there's so many dead gear slots. It can't proc warforged, and you can't trade them to other people. Yesterday alone it felt like I got 10 identical ilvl azerite chests. Kinda annoying. And the burnout is kinda real, when you only have 1 or 2 slots that need a serious upgrade and you just keep getting the same item slot from every different dungeon. I will say, I feel a bit robbed that the main campaign didn't reward anything with its completion. Just like 70g or something.

WQ's. I love the WQ system. It was my favorite part of legion. Even with multiple characters, you can just focus what you need. But since I've just got my mage, I can do them all. That being said, I wish there wasn't so many azerite armor rewards. There needs to be some diversification, and it's especially frustration since those can't pop warforged unlike the others, though I do think the threshold for popping up at the next tier (310/325) is useful to target to raise your ilvl earlier. As for the WQ's themselves, some of them are pretty obnoxious. Lots of the ones where you have to do 100% of an area, but there's very little in the way of interactable objects to increase it so you just have to grind 30 mobs or something, those ones kind of suck. Also, the turtle one where you have to shoot birds and crabs, that one's annoying too. I don't mine the turtle track or matching game. Also, I am curious as to when the epic WQ's start, I'm guessing at the same time as normal raids.

Professions. My mage is a tailor and enchanter. I made a decent amount of money selling all the dust and stuff. Enchant actually seems pretty useless. The profession-only enchant is a hearthstone thing, which is completely useless for a mage. Probably completely useless for anybody. The ring enchant if fine, and the weapon ones are ok. Just not very exciting. The anti-daze cloak one is the most interesting, even though I have ice shield and azerite armor which makes a bubble. Tailoring is a bit more interesting, and I pretty much maxed it out. The main issue I have is that the blue gear just isn't that good. It's ilvl 300, but it takes only a couple of hours at 120 to progress beyond that. And that shit is expensive right now. Like, 35 deep sea linen at 100g each is not a joke, and that's just for 1 item, which gives you 1 level up. And, ranking up in that item requires honor marks or whatever, so you have to pvp to improve them. I'm mostly funding it with profits from enchanting (I was lucky and got 3 veiled crystals from random epic upgrades). But, we get 2 bop items that start at 355, but need a bunch of the mythic dungeon reagents, so there's at least something to shoot for.

War Campaign. I honestly feel like this is kind of lacking. In Suramar, it actually felt like the zone was progressing. Here, it kind of doesn't. And the rep gating feels a lot more painful this time. Like, it took 6k rep just to get the next part, which gave like 8 quests, and then a need for another 6k rep to get to the next part. I know that's the point, but I wish there was at least something tangible. Similarly, the war table stuff just seems pointless. At this point, they should just cut that sort of thing altogether and just chalk it up as a failed experiment from WoD and come up with something new.

The item squish. Honestly, it feels like I'm playing in cataclysm again. It's the same ilvl range. It's kind of weird. Like, it even feels like the ability to earn gold has been significantly reduced. It feels intentional, as a method to suck gold out of the economy. We got like 10k gold from leveling to 120, which isn't that much. Going from level 60-70 was about 5k back in the day, just enough to buy your flying mount. But, that amount buys you one stack of mats from the auction house. I have a ton of gold from playing in Legion, and I stopped playing before the Tomb of Sargeras came out, so I can only imagine how many millions people have who actually played through the whole thing. It's just... weird. Just picture that a +15 item today would have been a +45 item before the squish.

Final thoughts. I think my favorite zone is Drustvar. Amazing ambience and music. I like more than any of the Horde Zones, though I guess Nazmir would be my second. Voldun is the worst, which is a shame because thats the one I picked to start it. It's just endless sand and rock. As for my plans going forward... I kind of want to raid. My schedule kind of sucks, so it makes it difficult. But, last expansion I had a guild that raided twice a week for 3 hours which worked perfectly for me, so something like that would be great. But until then, I guess I have to start grinding mythic. Which is easier said than done, when I'm a random dps class competing with a million other higher ilvl dps.

17. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I agree that Island Expeditions haven't worked out very well, but there are things to consider. Heroic IE are asking for a minimum ilvl; having tried to do it with said ilvl I'll confirm that it's really hard. Mobs are hitting super hard, and unless you have a tank or a healer to keep you up, you will die a lot trying to break those mobs whereas the AI has no such problem. The ilvl is the minimum and even then, I would recommend you overgear it by a wide margin before doing them.

Additionally, make a group for it. The coordination is super important, and I feel like PUG just scramble and end up dying for nothing. Also, if you happen to be ahead of the curve in term of ilvl (330+), doing the PVP one is super easy. We stomped the opposite faction thrice with like 8k ahead of them. We could destroy them without even fearing for our lives most of the time.

More tips: Be opportunistic. Wait for the enemy to engage an elite boss, and then jump them when they and the boss are low. Exploit the mechanics. Have someone engage and kite the big guardians while the other two (without aggro) just walk past and pick the loot behind. You don't have to kill the stuff to get the most azerite. Use the map resources. There is food scattered about that will restore hp. When killing an elite or a horde player, you get an azerite orb which will rez your allies, and bring you all back to full health.

Waycrest Manor is really cool. It's one of my favorite as well. Atal'Dazar is closed second, if only because of the theme.

If you're interested in raiding, most hardcore guild are aiming for azerite neck level 21 so you can unlock the 2nd traits of raiding azerite gear. Something else I learned (and which might seemed obvious to others, but was not for me): the traits are not randomized. The head piece from that Atal'Dazar boss will always have the exact same traits. So feel free to scrap or sell those once you have 1 or 2 (depending on your spec/offspec) version of them, and seek out which of those pieces would be your BiS.

The Main Campaign rewards you with a bunch of Azerite power (which in turn pushes you to unlock more traits on your gear). Additionally, it also unlocks the Siege of Boralus Mythic Dungeon, and gives a shit ton of 7th Legion rep.

Profession took a downturn this expansion, but I think it's a result of the woweconomy in general. WoW tokens are down to 140k on US, whereas they were 220k by the end of Legion if I remember correctly. Most professions items are tanking hard: the BiS darkmoon card for melee is dirt cheap at 110k-200k on my server. Crafted gear being 300ilvl and then 355 is a fucking joke. Where's the in-between? I'm pretty sure things will settle down a bit in a week or two when people go back to work instead of supplying waaaay too much the AH.

I disagree on that front. War Campaign is one of the major feature which has been lacking from WoW in term of promoting PvP but also Faction pride. To get rep, you need to do WQs on the opposite faction's territory. It leads to interesting encounters between Horde and Alliance. It forces conflict for the sake of loot. You get the expand your hold on the opposite continent, securing missions to get flight path further inland, upgrading your outpost, unlocking the other faction's M+ Dungeon (siege, king's rest).

It also provides rewards (355 ilvl piece, recipes, more outposts, etc.) Don't forget that there are items to make war missions more profitable (bringing back herbs from every successful mission for example). While the gold mission are less than profitable, the azerite and rep one are very valuable right now. I'm expecting we'll see a bunch of new missions pop up with the release of Uldir and of the warfronts.

18. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Yeah, most of the gold and reward changes are for reducing token prices.
    Or conversely, to make people buy more tokens with real money.
    My dumb ass bought 2 tokens for around 210k each in the last week of legion, since I thought I should enjoy the game in peace for the first 2 months.
    I already have enough gold for 2 tokens now (~125k each), after maxing my professions , within 5 days of playing. Lol.

On the other hand, I've decided Imma lvl my alt only after Pathfinder 2 gets released. I want flying damnit.

Completed everything apart from rep and 100 WQ, for Pathfinder 1.
    At 1/2 way mark honored with all factions now, except tortollans.

Edit:

Also, If some of you guys missed it and/or the quest did not show up...
    Every time you reach friendly/honored/revered/etc with Champions of Azeroth, there's a quest that should pop up which will give you 15 iLvls (Not AP, just ilvls) to your Heart of Azeroth.
    If it didn't pop up (It did NOT for me), take the portal to Magni in Silithus. He should have that quest for ya.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  19. Gengar

High Score:
    Completed the Jaina story with Mythic Siege.

I went in there originally at 311 ilvl, man that wasn't fun. Did it at 325.

20. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Just an FYI, you do not get the ilevel boost for getting Exalted. Once you get revered, your neck is as high as it's going to get from Magni.

I'm 110% with you on the mission table. They need to ditch the thing and replace it with daily login rewards, because an obnoxious version of daily login rewards is all it really is.

As for the War Campaign though, I disagree. Suramar was much more obnoxious in terms of rep gain and progression, both in terms of time and effort to progress through (ancient mana, I'm looking at you). By and large, the War Campaign is significantly less painful to complete.

However, Suramar definitely did at least one thing better. Namely, there were more obvious impacts as you progressed through it, what with that expansion into the city of Suramar. That made it feel more impactful and interesting, and I'm definitely with you that it would have felt better if we'd been building up a proper stronghold on the other faction's continent, instead of making a couple of small camps and then them never growing or evolving as we progressed.