1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Intoxication by nos tres reges - T

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Dark-Stallion, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

T_T

I need a suitable image macro for this, but I don't have one so...

What's so fucked up about my morality? I'm saying that Harry didn't seem to be that fucked up. Maybe my perception's wrong, but the story was either too subtle for my pea-brain to handle, or the author wasn't using enough hints to suggest that Harry was more than a slightly crazy, love-struck admirer. How does that make my morality... fucked up? During his "stalking", at least the parts we saw, he didn't do anything morally wrong – just unsual. I think his actions (following Daphne around to find out her tastes) are permissible in today's society. Sure, stalking is wrong, but we don't know the extent of his actions to truly judge them completely.

If you're talking about my judgment on how he handled the Slytherin, let's see you get cornered by three people with weapons and a history of deliquency (and possibly physical violence) and deal with them in a nice manner and/or not cause them any pain whatsoever while not getting hurt yourself.

Did they disappear? I might have skipped over that, sometimes I read a little too fast and miss details. Killing them is extreme, don't think I condone intentional, meditated killing like that.

Finally, concluding that my "morals" are wholly out of line while only having snippets of my moral theory is a gross misstep. Are you telling me you're the perfect moral character? I'm sure you've said something on this forum that would make people pause from giving you some kind of authority.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dude, I don't know where you live but I've never been to a place where stalking a girl is considered an acceptable way to try and make her go out with you. To learn the things he did he must have devoted days of time to observing her, and that's just not acceptable.

Secondly, your explanation about Harry's treatment of the Slytherins fails somewhat since all they were doing was trying to intimidate him. For crying out loud, he was so far out of their league that you could compare it to Mike Tyson having a match against a ten year old. There is such a thing as proportionate response, and using the fucking CRUCIATUS CURSE is NOT fucking proportionate! He escalated the situation and tortured schoolchildren (bolded for emphasis) and you say he wasn't acting out of line? These aren't soldiers or Death Eaters, these are a few kids who made the mistake of trying to intimidate someone much stronger than them.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What Aekiel said.

And my main thing is, just because they don't remember what happened to them, doesn't mean that the cruciatus is acceptable.

4. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Of course it was acceptable. They're Slytherins.

5. cold burn

cold burn Third Year

See I'm going to have to side with 'Chime??' on this one. I mean if nobody remembers that something happens and there are no injuries did it ever even happen? And as someone who has been jumped I can say that reciprocity is the only response that is natural. Was the stalking bit kinda off? sure but not that terribly different from asking people about a girl you want to go out with.

That said I enjoyed the story and it all felt like it went exactly as it it should, although I could have gone a bit more stuff between Daphne's death and the change to Parkinson. I'd rate this a 4/5

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  6. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I heard that some people who get sexually abused really hard means they forget it. Therefore, hardcore sexual abuse is okay as long as the victim forgets it.

7. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

This. If I followed a chick around without her knowing in an attempt to find out personal information about her, and she found out, I'd get pepper-sprayed, and possibly stabbed.

8. turtle7

turtle7 Backtraced

Drugs are always a touchy subject in real life but they make for good entertainment, taken or observed.

9. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

Way to be a douche and necro two threads within two minutes.

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Way to realize that he's been doing this for ages. The non-necro in library thing doesn't apply here because of his useless post however.

He's just waiting to get neutered.

11. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Reading this was quite strange for me. One hand the authors wrote it extremely well. The writing was very refined and definitely much improved when they started VINCET. However, the story itself, especially the ending was very much different than what I'd expected. The ending was rather depressing. I can very much say that this isn't the usual fan-fiction.

There were a few points that I especially enjoyed. The reverse prejudice that Harry was shown to posses was refreshing. In all together too many stories do the author make Harry hate the Slytheirn house, only for Harry to later realise that he was mistaken. I liked how NTR reversed that particular cliche.

The duel between Harry and the Slytherins was very nicely done as was the one between him and Daphne.

Harry's psyche and his stalking tendencies were nicely described and had a feeling of creepiness to it.

And finally the scene where Harry calls for Fawkes to heal Daphne and he doesn't respond right after Harry claims that the phoenix would come if he called for it, was wonderful. It was a rather unique idea and very nicely executed.

Overall, I'd rate this story as 5/5. It's awesome, despite the fact that it rather leaves the reader feeling disturbed, which I assume was the authors intention. I have rarely seen a story crafted so brilliantly.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  12. Phantasm

Phantasm Second Year DLP Supporter

Broken link, shame cause it was an excellent fic. Anyone have it archived?

13. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I attached the story here.
    Hope that's okay.

Attached Files:

14. Cirion E. G. Coewund

Cirion E. G. Coewund Squib

High Score:
    I expected this story's Harry to know the countercurse for Sectumsempra, but the way the author chose to end the story works. It's weird and disturbing but it works.

I will agree that some of the young people sex referred to in the story was unnecessary and a bit offputting. That said, perhaps offputting was the point. This Harry is very offputting, this Daphne's background is rather offputting, and the implications for the setting are enormously offputting.

4/5

15. poopmonster7

poopmonster7 Squib

High Score:
    Great story, the kind that makes you think once it is over. Harry's behavior initially is off putting but he manages to grow on you as a character nonetheless, making the ending all the more powerful. 5/5

16. Athreya V

Athreya V Squib

This file doesn't work for me does anyone have another?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Could someone give me anotthe copy of this story?

17. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Dont' keep doing this. You're probably going to get warned (or banned depending on the mod active) if you keep it up. https://forums.darklordpotter.net/threads/ressurection-dlp-net-archives-03-15-08-version.8894/
    Check here, if its not there, then post in the thread there to see if someone has it. But don't keep necroing old review threads. Its one thing to say that the links dead or whatever, but we're not your personal service for finding fics. You've got the same resources at hand that we do.

18. poopmonster7

poopmonster7 Squib

High Score:
    It was weird to be both rooting for and against harry during his attempted seduction of Daphne. Ending wrapped things up perfectly

19. John Nash

John Nash Squib DLP Supporter

I agree.

While I wanted things to work out between Harry and Daphne, sadly that was not the intent of this story.

Despite that, I have to say this story has by far the best, in my opinion, romance between Harry and Daphne. The story had a way of initially making me feel creeped out by Harry's actions, but as things went on I started rooting for things to work out between them. Especially as they got to know one another better and I learned more about Daphne's past. So hats off to this story for really making me empathize and feel a bit of Harry's grief. Romantic tragedy on par with Romeo and Juliet.

However, I found the ending rather strange.

While the circularity of him falling in love with Tracey is an interesting literary device, it felt out of place to me. Maybe that's the intent of the story, the author convinced me that Harry's love was genuine, but the ending has me questioning that.

On another note, any works of fiction that have similar characterizations? I rather enjoyed that aspect of this piece

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020