1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ours Is The Fury - House Baratheon Quest by Charcolt - Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones / ASoIaF' started by TheWiseTomato, Sep 15, 2018.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Ours Is The Fury - House Baratheon Quest
    Author: Charcolt
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Humour
    Fandom: Game of Thrones
    Pairings: Bobby B/His Hammer/Lyanna Stark
    Summary: You are Robert Baratheon, Lord of Storm’s End and heir to Durran Godsgrief. And, some would say, rightful ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.

This is your legacy.

Link: Link is to the reader mode of the SV thread.

Right. So this fic saw me outright laughing a number of times, and is just littered with one liners and little amusing absurdities. It is not a serious fic, but it's complete, of a decent length, and the best example of King Bobby B I've come across. I'd share some of my favourite lines, but that'd only deprive you of coming across them properly yourselves.

As a rock 'em sock adventure and un/subtle comedy, I'd give it a 5/5.

2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good honest fun. As always with quests, it could have been so much better if it hadn't been written in second person or subject to voter autism, but the oneliners more than make up for it. I'm not all the way through yet, but so far Bobby B's sheer charisma is leading the way. And that's kinda how things went down in canon until he became a fat drunken cunt.

The writing is quite poor, if I'm honest, but that's okay. It's just a vessel to get to the humour. I wouldn't always, but this time I'm giving the author a pass because it works with their particular style. It's not classy, but it's entertaining.

5/5

3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Really funny stuff. Some great one liners and very whimsical (at least in the earlier parts). Much later on, it bogs down a bit as it takes on a more "serious" note.

The writing is serviceable, but its really the humor that does it for me. I do have my doubts whether I'd enjoy it as much if I reread it.

Bobby B is great. Comes across real charismatic.

4/5

4. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Is there a way to automatically open the spoilers boxes on SV? The continual clicking is tedious.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's okay as far as mildly amusing power rides go. Some lines were funny, the way things developed was interesting enough but it wasn't exactly good or memorable, but then again it never tried to be anything but amusing.

So, 3/5, was entertained enough to keep reading and I will almost certainly never return to this story again.

6. Hopper

Hopper Fourth Year

I remember being a part of this quest as it was happening. It was an absolute blast and thrill ride, so there's a nostalgia factor here. The writing, however, doesn't hold up the best. 4/5

7. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A solid story, it definitely sets out what it wants to - telling the story of Bobby Fucking B being fucking awesome.

Typos are scattered throughout, and the story isn't the best one I've read, but I really enjoyed it.

My only real issue is one that I feel most quests have - the winning vote isn't included in the next post, and you often only find out two or three posts later, when it's a throwaway line. There's a few examples of this, but the last one to spring to mind was the Unsullied. This happens quite a lot in quests with multiple votes per chapter, and it's only really an issue if you're not reading them live.

4/5

8. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Fun and entertaining, but more a slog than a great fiction. 3/5.

It has good ideas stolen from other places and keeps good humor focused as it's target. But I was laughing more at the characters than with them.

9. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It’s a fun read, and if it took itself more seriously than it does, it would have been a miserable slog. It’s funny for the repeated jokes and dumb shit that happens, but that’s about it.

It is otherwise purely average.

3.5/5