1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Order of the Stick By Richard Burlew - T - Original Webcomic

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Quiddity, Jun 21, 2015.

1. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

4 exclusive content books(3 black-and-white prequels and I can't recall what the other one was) and the webcomic itself shouldn't be far from a new release to catch up with the site since latest ends with the reveal of Durkon being trapped with the vampire in control.

2. Stealthy

Stealthy Groundskeeper

After every major story arc, he takes the collection and releases it as a book. I think the current arc (since the art change) is Book 6? Regardless, those are more collector's items/how he makes his money more than anything.

Relevant ones are the four books of exclusive content. Start of Darkness (prequel centered on Xykon, Redcloak, and the Monster) is the only must-read imo, though the O-Chul origin story in the latest one (a collection of stories based on the Azure City characters) is pretty damn good. There's also one about how the Order got together, but it's not story-critical or anything. Fourth is literally just bonus content he made for a magazine and has nothing to do with the main story.

3. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yes, there's books. You can find them here. There's 3 which are fully original content, as well as book versions of the main comic (which contain lots of bonus material. You can buy them as PDF's or (if you live in the US), as proper paper comics.

Highly recommended. Start of Darkness and the last story of Good Deeds Gone Unpunished are arguably better than the main comic story, and largely self-contained.

4. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Holy shit that last panel of #1139 was so well done.

5. Quiddity

High Score:
    Major update

Obviously I don't normally link to new updates, but this one is special. Apart from being packed with major revelations, it's packed full of discussion of "quiddity", the first time I've ever seen my handle in the wild.

6. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Just did my annual OotS catchup, and ooph. I really should have seen that coming, but I didn't, and it was a great reveal.

I'm not too plugged in to the Giant in the Playground community, but I have to think that we're probably entering the endgame? Crazy to think that the next time I catch up on this it might be over.

This is still a really fantastic strip. The author's narrative tricks are maybe starting to wear a little thin, but considering how long the thing's been running, the fact that it manages to stay as fresh as it does is laudable.

7. Quiddity

High Score:
    @Newcomb do you mean the ending of this book? We know we're in the sixth of seven books rn

8. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I meant the end of the series as a whole. I'm not super shocked this is only six of seven, but I'm a little skeptical there are enough legs for another ~400 strips.

9. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    We're up to chapter 1154 now, and we got a funny little detail that I wanted to point people to in the bottom left panel. Just goes to show that the gods are petty little bastards all the way through.

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That was a fun tidbit but I think my favorite moment of the last few strips was the "oh you must be Elan" moment because that had to sting. I just know Roy is going to lie awake in the future, thinking about that and kicking himself.