1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spiderman [PS4]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Apr 7, 2018.

1. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

Man, fuck Youtubers. I just got spoiled on some big shit from a video's title. God damn it.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Finished the story, about 90% actual completion - mostly challenges, random crimes and warehouses/camps. It's easily the best Spider-Man game I've played, probably the best superhero game full stop, for that matter, and I'll double down on my earlier post about it being my favourite Spider-Man story; I was genuinely welling up by the end.

I don't think it's flat out perfect. Some of the side missions can start to feel like busy work, especially if you're doing a lot of them at once. The suit powers and mods are fun, but I rarely used most of them, because some of them are just endlessly useful even if they're not that flashy. There was one point in the story where Peter seemed to have leapt to a perfectly accurate conclusion without him actually seeing the evidence to support it, and a later one where MJ seemed shocked by a revelation that we'd already had a little earlier, but both of those could just be me missing something. And really, those are the only little nitpicks I can make.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've a few nitpicks too, even though like you I think it's just one of the best games I've ever played (huge bias because Spiderman is my fav character in all fiction):

- Timed challenge missions can fuck fight off, particularly for arbitrary scores and medals. The rest of the side missions made sense contextually, those didn't. You can still do what those missions did narratively, but in a better way imo.

- Bases in general. I'm fine with them as a concept, but my two main gripes are, first, don't give me bonus objectives telling me how to play. Force me to use other moves with better enemy design rather than bonus objectives.

Like instead of forcing me to use trip mines, have powerful enemies set up on pairs. I'll be rewarded for trip mining then together, or I can be stupid and do it the hard way - my choice.

Second gripe is, if I clear the first wave entirely stealthily, don't just nonsensically start wave 2. End it. Reward me for being a ninja.

- Crimes got a bit tedious, maybe should have tuned it to need only three in each district.

- Suit powers need retuning, specifically everything but Web Blossom, quad damage and unrelenting fury needs to be buffed. They just pale in comparison and I don't think nerfing is the answer, they should feel epic.

- zip range should be increased. It just seemed a bit inconsistent and it feels pretty bad to not be able to zip to a building directly on front of you as you slowly drop...

- finally, let me face plant. When you get really low to the ground the animation gets really wonky as it auto stops you from hitting the ground in a really unnatural way. Immersion breaking imo.

These are all nitpicky obviously. I adored the game. I got choked up by the ending too...

and by that, I'm of course referring to Yuri finally acknowledging Spider Cop.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'm only 1/3 through the game so far, but I'm loving it to bits. Slowly working my way through it.

I have some minor gripes with the combat (largely camera issues that arise because of how spread out combat tends to be, where off-screen enemies swing at you and it's nearly impossible to actually dodge the hit without managing a Perfect Dodge, especially from the brutes), but on the whole, it's a whole load of fun.

I don't think I'd call it the best superhero game I've ever played, Arkham Asylum still comfortably wears that crown, but I'd give Spider-Man the #2 slot, marginally ahead of Arkham City.

5. Gengar

High Score:
    Focus on perfect dodge skills, you'll be using it a lot. Later on several snipers at a time will be training on you and it really helps (I'm pretty sure there's a talent that increases the window too, so dodging is rather easy).

Then for most of the game, two of my suit augments were an augment that slowed down time after a perfect dodge and one that increased my damage. The third was always one that increased my damage when above 100 health.

I found that overall combination worked well for me, but combat started off rather rough. I wasn't using my gadgets nearly enough (seriously, drones are busted, and a lot of the rest are just fantastic for crowd control) and I wasn't air juggling enough.

Seriously, stay in the air, pull them up to you and go to town. You're spiderman, not batman. When I got over that mental block and started zipping around and barely ever touching the floor, the combat got way more fun - if you look at one of my earlier posts, I was bitching about the big cunts too.

Also, they backload a lot of the 'epicness' in this game, I'll be really curious to see if your opinion evolves over time!

6. Agayek

Having finished the game, my opinion hasn't changed much. The story's still really good, and the game as a whole is great, but the little niggling issues I had were never resolved.

The problem was never the difficulty of the combat (I think I died all of twice in the whole playground), it was simply mechanical issues that made it less enjoyable to play. Like, it's not fun to be fighting a group of enemies and have no idea where half of them are at a given time, or what direction you're supposed to be dodging in when spidey-sense goes off. Or for the controls to be occasionally sticky.

None of them were major issues on the whole, and it's still a wonderful game that i was very happy to play. It simply doesn't manage to dislodge Arkham Asylum, and to be fair, I have my doubts anything ever will.

EDIT: Also, I feel the need to say that I am very impressed with the confidence of the writers and the way the game's story ended. It takes a brave person to remind the Spiderman audience of One More Day, and an even more talented person to make it work. They get all kinds of kudos for that.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  7. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Finished the game 100%, all in game objectives and trophies unlocked - the first game ever that I've done that with. Some of the challenges were just obnoxious, and if you're going for the secret photos I'd recommend trying to leave a few other things to do alongside them, because as much fun as web swinging is, swinging around the city waiting for an icon to flash onto your map (or snapping everything potentially interesting if you're going hard-core) can get a little tedious, but otherwise it's a delight to complete, tbh.

8. Gengar

High Score:
    The drone challenges had me frothing at the mouth.

9. Shinysavage

High Score:
    For me it was one of the stealth challenges, which was one of the only times I can think of that the game had any glitches - specifically, a teleporting guard, which is really fucking annoying when a) you fail if you get seen, b) getting higher scores relies on you doing the challenge quickly and racking up combos. More generally, stealth challenges where the guards move ever so slightly just before you take them down, changing your stealth attack to a normal punch.

10. Gengar

High Score:
    Huh, weird. I blitzed all the stealth challenges by just triangle zipping to every safe enemy then zipping out again.

Had I known at the time you could web mine two unsafe enemies together it'd have been even easier.

Those challenges just seemed to be set up in a way that there's a correct order to taking them out where each previous target made the next one a safe one...

The bomb ones were hard only until I realised you could slow time mid air and zip to and surface too.

By and large though, if you removed the timing aspect of each challenge, ramped up the difficulty and treated it like an actual story quest where Taskmaster is properly assessing his abilities under duress, they'd have been much better.

Peter claiming he's neurotic because he cares what a villain thinks of his skills isn't clever. It's not clever to point out flaws in your own game design.

I'm mostly annoyed because I don't think it'd have been that hard to tweak them all to make that side story way more interesting.

11. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I came into this thread looking for bad reviews to put me off spending what little money I have on this.

God damn it.

See you in NYC.

12. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I just completed the story after a good long while.

That had some heft to it, it didn't go the way I was expecting it to from about the halfway mark. Really enjoyable.

Also, fuck that Rhino/scorpion fight. I don't know why but it took me like three goes.

13. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Has anyone looked into the New Game +? Not normally something I'd particularly bother with, but given how much I enjoyed it the first time round...

14. Gengar

High Score:
    No really my thing. I'll be coming back next week to do the Cat stuff though.

15. Agayek

First thing I did after beating the game was check if there was a NG+, and was sad that there wasn't.

I might get around to checking that out soonish, though I think I'm gonna do the Black Cat DLC first.

16. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Played the DLC for a couple of hours, and it's pretty fun so far, with one exception: there's a new challenge mode which I found very frustrating. There's only a couple of them though, as far as I can see, so not that big a problem.

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Time to set my ps4 up again lul.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    I think I've decided to leave the DLC until all three are out. I want to collect the rest of the trophies in one swoop and it'll be perfectly timed for the Christmas holidays.

Might even do it with NG+, unfortunately I hear there's trophies tied to it.

19. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

Yeah, probably smart. The DLC ends with a "To be continued..." and the whole thing is 3 hours long at most.

20. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Finished the final chunk of DLC tonight, and it's pretty fun all in all. I think it might benefit from one long play through rather than a few hours per month though; I found the plot tailed off quite a bit in the third act, although it's never bad, just a bit bland. It does have some good character stuff though, and in that regard works as a good semi-sequel to the main game, with some promising signs for the plot of the hopefully inevitable actual sequel.

On the other hand, the DLC does introduce Screwball Challenges, and they can honestly fuck off.