1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Anticlockwise by Sorrows - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Nerdman3000, Oct 3, 2018.

1. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I'm enjoying this so far. I didn't really want to rate it yet, because it's still early on, but here we are.

The writing has a few minor technical issues, as others have noted, but that's easily overlooked in a story that does other things well. The characterization is great. You can still see the echoes of the canon characters in those who time-traveled. It's also great that we see things through the POV of someone who didn't time travel. I don't think I've ever seen that before, and it adds to the intrigue.

'What happened? Why are they back? And have they made a huge mistake?' are the questions that make it interesting. There are hints about an apocalyptic future, but we don't know any details. There's a mission with multiple players, but it might already be messed up. Are Harry and Draco friends, reluctant allies, or borderline enemies? Plus Luna seems pissed at everyone, so is the mission itself a mistake?

Right now the story is really great at building suspense, which is obviously a good thing for a horror story. Ultimately it will stand or fall on the big reveal. My only suggestion is that we continue to see things through Hermione's POV. If she serves as a stand-in for the reader, that gives us a layer of both objectivity and confusion that keeps things interesting.

4/5 so far. Good stuff.

2. telecaster11

telecaster11 First Year

I've found this excellent so far. The alternate POV is really what makes this fic exceptional- It's fascinating to read what is something of a timeworn cliche in such a new way. Whereas most time travel fics establish the future before returning to the past, this one leaves you in the dark about the future Harry and Draco come from. That's what makes this fic so captivating: we, like Hermione, don't understand what is really going on. The questions you have push you to keep reading.

Harry is clearly a very different person from canon, but I found other character's reactions to the new Harry realistic and well written. There's some confusion, but Hermione (and perhaps Luna- her actions cause fresh questions) is the only one who is truly bothered by the change (for now at least). I'm interested to see how long Harry and Draco will be able continue their plans without discovery. It seems like their plans are already beginning to fall apart, but we will see.

Overall I found this excellent and really captivating. The use of Hermione's POV is a clever twist on a cliche, and makes for an intriguing read.
    4/5

3. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

Wow, I've gotta say this really caught me by surprise. I mean seriously, you've done so many things here that I just loved.

A story tagged as "third-year, Hermione-centric, time travel" on the surface level seems like something that's just not for me at all. But then I started reading and you came out of the gate throwing haymakers.

As others have said, I find it so incredibly refreshing to read a Peggy Sue fic where the POV character is not the Peggy Sue. Also, I think you've struck the perfect balance for me where you're keeping a lot of information secret, but letting just enough slip so that the story remains interesting, the narrative moves forward, but the suspense is still there.

That first experience of reading it, where my thought process went: what's wrong with Harry>>>Harry's a time traveler>>>wait, Draco's a time traveler>>>and now Luna>>>and also maybe Neville? (I feel like he seems much more calm and self assured here. Is it simply the influence of having friends? Am I just barking up the wrong tree? Maybe. Can't wait to read and find out)

I appreciate how you've characterized Harry. He's obviously more powerful, but within him there's so much sadness and regret. The fact that he can't even cast his Patronus, possibly his crowning magical achievement in Canon, is so emblematic of this. I can only imagine what a lifetime of "wrong moral decisions for the right reasons" would do to a person's psyche. Using Legilimency and then Obliviating Hermione is one of these hard choices, and you really made me feel both Hermione's pain and betrayal and Harry's regret in that scene.

The way you've described magic is very cool. Harry v. Luna is a great description of wizards dueling in a more dynamic way than simply batting flashing lights back and forth.

I'm rambling, but I feel like I could go on and on. The dialogue is great, the fact that the characters have agency is great, Harry's plan to expose Wormtail was very clever, and the fact that Ron is horrified because he knows Peter watched him jackin' it is superb.

So yeah, summary: great POV gimmick that makes the time travel feel fresh, engaging writing, mature story without being completely devoid of humor, excellent characterization. I think I rate it 4/5 for simply because it's still short. I don't know how lengthy you expect this to be, but keep on with this quality and it's an easy 5/5. No question. Love it.

4. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Thank you for your nice review.

I finally got myself a beta, so I've actually been modifying and cleaning up these first four chapters to the point that I'm considering reposting this as a new story rather than just updating the ongoing WBA and ffn story since quite a lot has changed/been modified in my current version and people who've only read this version might get real confused going forward.

Once I've got the first two chapters totally clean I think I'll put up a new thread. Hopefully there will be few typos this time around .

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

@Sorrows - I just moved this into "General" in the library but if it should be in another category let me know. I haven't read it so I don't know if it's general or AU or what have you, and the OP didn't list.

Grats on making the library! :D

I'll have to check this out soon, actually. I keep intending to do so.