1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

System spec thread

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Alright guys, it's building time, looking for some advice for a computer for my wife. I'll link all the parts and you guys see how I did for staying in the budget/ getting good deals. We still need to get a monitor, keyboard and mouse for her so we're trying to keep the budget pretty tight. She will mostly be browsing the internet or playing WoW with me.

Hard Drive (wife doesn't need an SSD, not sure a hybrid is worth it or not)
    GPU
    Processor
    MOBO
    RAM
    Case
    (wife's choice of course)

I used the recommendations from this article but downgraded the video card. Looking to order in the next few days or so in order to get it ready for Christmas.

Sey
  2. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Decent build but I would argue the value of the SSD. Upgrading mates and family members old computers, the first thing they all love is the boot time and how fast an SSD in everyday use is. Whenever someone asks to upgrade a old computer the cheapest and fastest option is usually just chuck in a SSD, I would never consider building a comp now without a SSD, even a budget one. If your wife needs massive amounts of storage for whatever she will be using the comp for than go SSD + HDD combo.

8gb of memory is more than enough for everyday use now and mostly everything you'll do, but considering going 16gb for that little bit of futureproof. If she games than I would definitely consider 16gb.

So yeah, definitely recommend the SSD and for the memory get 8gb now and you can always add more later if needed.

3. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Okay, my current computer is about seven years old(!!), so I'm building up a PC right now during sale time(missed the Ryzen 2700X + cooler deal for $250, so it's back at $360, but the 1700X for $100 off at $200 is still available), and this is what I tentatively have:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8GsW7W
    -- The monitor will actually be $50 less if I can pick it up from a local-ish(about hour and a quarter drive) Office Max, for $189. The guy on the phone claimed they have "like, five of them," but wouldn't hold any for myself or my friend.
    -- The case is not the exact model, any recommendations here are also welcomed in general, but overall, I'm imagining about $30-$50, based on what I've been browsing.
    -- A mouse will likely be around $45. Not mandatory, but not a bad idea to get it along with everything else at this time. A friend recommended this model: (I just use a completely basic optical mouse at this time)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1543319922&sr=1-3
    -- Need to get new ear pads for my headset, at $15 for the pair, but the headset is still working great otherwise.

Critiques? I imagine the graphics card may get the most recommendations, but I may be wrong. Some of the items(CPU Cooler, and certain other alternatives, such as an 8GB RX580) have their sale prices ending within about 3 hours, so I would appreciate if I could get a quick look-over. Most of the stuff has their sale pricing continuing for a few more days.

Currently the total build is at around $1200 (plus any applicable taxes). I'm willing to go up to around $1500 or so at most.

[EDIT]
    Unfortunately, the $200 Ryzen 1700X went out of stock, and it's back to $250, so I'll probably just bump up to the 2700X for $350, with cooler included. Real shame I missed the deal for that same 2700X for $250, due to the sale randomly ending around 10p.m. Central. on Monday.
    Also went up to RX580 for $50 more.

[Second Edit]
    Went ahead and completed the purchase, including a similarly priced case and two extra fans to fill in some optional slots(three of five are pre-filled). Just need to get Windows and the peripherals now. All in all, an extremely nice upgrade from my current computer.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just finished building my computer this weekend.
    I'm testing stability right now with a decent overclock on the CPU and Memory.

i9-9900K @ 5100 MHz (1.315 Vcore)
    Corsair Dominator Ram 32G @ 3460 MHz (1.344 Dram)
    MSI MEG ACE MB
    MSI GeForce 970 (old gpu in previous system.
    M.2 Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
    EKWB Watercooling

While testing, all 6 physical cores are at 5100 MHz and the highest temp I've hit is 82c with the highest average for a core at 66c.

And, here's where I was pushing it to see what I could do.

[​IMG]

5. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

I really hope you meant 8 physical cores there, cause 9900k is an 8core cpu.

6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, there's that, too.

7. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Im curious what you are using this comp for cause that CPU seems very excessive for the GPU you have, not even taking into account the overclocking which seems redundant because your GPU would bottleneck even at stock CPU speeds.

Unless you are doing it for shits and giggles which I can understand.

8. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I built my rig this January after a friend had a brand new sealed 9700k lying around for approx. 330 eur.
    Some parts I stole from my old build though.

Specs:
    i7-9700k @ Stock
    Crucial Ballistix LT DDR4-2400 16 GB @ 2400 MHz (Shoddy, but they were leftovers)
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
    Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3G @ Stock (From old rig, seeking an upgrade to 1080 or better once I get the money)
    Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Cooled with a Kraken x62
    It's all placed in an NZXT H500i, which I adore the look of.

Also have an old 1 TB Hitachi hard drive for mass storage, but I know next to nothing about it.

9. Ludwig

Ludwig Fourth Year

High Score:
    I spent around a month on and off researching and I finally finished my new build.

My dad is keeping my old PC and I got a budget of around 2000 CAD to build this, I'd love for people more experienced than me to give their opinion on it.

PCPartPicker : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J2TnD2

For those who don't like clicking links :

CPU : Intel - Core i7-8700k
    CPU Cooler : Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO
    Motherboard : Asus - Rog STRIX Z390-H Gaming
    Memory : Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB
    Storage : WD - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
    GPU : Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce
    Case : NZXT H700
    PSU : EVGA - BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze

10. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Shit psu, I would also recommand diffrent case I have h700 and I am not happy with it the fan controler is useless in my opinion and make case more expensive but it has nice solutions like back panel and it’s pretty big. I would recommand cheaper case and better power supply something with at least gold certificate and maybe 700W would be better as with 650 you don’t have much room for expansions.

11. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

PSU certification is largely marketing, it doesn't imply quality of parts or construction. I would gladly take a bronze PSU over a platinum in many situations.

That PSU isn't terrible and it's not great, but PSU is one component you want to get quality for if possible. I recommend something from the SeaSonic M12II line, or for something with a higher certification, EVGA G3. I wouldn't recommend spending full price on the BQ line, but if you get it on sale or discounted they're fine PSUs.

Cases are largely preference- and needs-oriented, and the H700 is fine. I've built several computers in the H700 and the H500 and never had any problems, and almost rebuilt my computer in an H500.

I would carefully consider the SSD though. It's been my experience that the WD Blue are subpar compared to Crucial's and Samsung's offerings. Nothing about the Blues are gamebreaking or anything, but they're worse enough that I would strongly consider other offerings first.

12. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

A thing to consider about the case is size. You might realize that the H700 is a good tad larger than the smaller H500.
    Considering you don't have to mount a radiator for watercooling, it might look a bit empty in one side.
    I used to have a large case but a Micro-atx motherboard and no watercooling. It looked a bit empty to me, but you have a larger motherboard, and as Zansa said, it's largely preference.

13. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I pulled the trigger on a new primary PC rig. For those who don't like links:
    • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    • Noctua NH-D15 Cooler
    • MSI MEG X570 Unify ATX AM4 Motherboard
    • G.Skill Rippjaws V Series 16 GB DDR4-3200
    • Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 1 TB M.2 SSD
    • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super GPU
    • EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold PSU
    • Fractal Design R7 Mid Tower Case
    I really like AMD's newest processors, a first for me, and the motherboard gives me room to grow over the next few years with more M.2 drives and RAM. Depending on how things shake out, I think it will also last at least one or two CPU and GPU upgrade cycles.

14. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I got a new laptop. The Lenovo y540. It's my first experience with a SSD and it's a trip every time the computer boots up in 5 seconds. The heat dispersal system is great too. 1660 TI graphics card which is a monster step up from the 860M I was using in the laptop I got in 2013. I was going to wait for the new line of AMD Ryzen notebooks that are starting to come out - ASUS has a few, but I have brand loyalty to Lenovo at this point and this machine has good reviews. No post-purchase regret here

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...-y-series/Lenovo-Legion-Y540-15/p/88GMY501214

15. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Really thinking about building a new PC. I haven't built one in 6 years (my current one has a 970 GTX and a i5 4460 for comparison) and figured I can afford a nice one (which would ideally last me another 6-7 years). Main use case is: Photo editing (Lightroom, Photoshop) and gaming/content (Ideally 4k movies/videos would be cool, gaming wise I only really always play Dota2 but I might dabble in other shit)

So far I've come up with this:

• AMD Ryzen5 3600
    • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max MOBO
    • Zotac RTX2060 Super Mini 8GB GDDR6
    • 16GB (2x8) 3200Mhz DDR4 G-Skill Aegis series RAM
    • Intel 1TB M.2 SSD (SSDPEKNW010T8X1)
    • WD Blue 2TB SATA HDD
    • NZXT H700 Matte White Case
    • Corsair 650W 80 Plus Bronze PSU
    • Noctua U12S Chromax Black CPU fan
    Wondering if theres anything egregious here and if it will do everything I want. Could go for 32GB RAM cause I have lots of tabs open and Lightroom is pretty intensive but I don't know if thats overkill. Or if I picked a bad version of a RTX2060. Or the SSD. Would love some feedback and my budget is pretty flexible (This comes out to about 6k NIS which is roughly 1750$, I imagine if I could get this thing off Newegg or something it'd be 500$ cheaper but... those are the prices here so what can I do.), I don't mind sizing down for similar performance or sizing up if theres something really good to get.

16. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Why do you need a 1 TB SSD? Mind you, if you're getting it for cheap that's a different thing, but I suppose most of your work is going to be stored on the HDD anyway? If so, I'd probably downsize the SSD to 500 gigs for the OS and my work software and invest in 2 hard disks and make a RAID 1 out of them. You can get 2 4TB disks fairly cheaply these days iirc.

Also, more RAM. If you can afford it, always more RAM. You're working on Lightroom. I used to work with ImageJ for some biological imaging related work and 16 GB was often not enough when working with various focii/time series.

17. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Dunno when was the last time you looked at prices, but it's about a $30 difference [in the US].

18. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Huh. My bad. Been a while since I built a rig.

19. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I have a older 256 SSD (or is it 128? not at home to check) and it fills up so fast its annoying. It makes Lightroom a lot faster to import the photos onto the SSD rather than a HDD so I'd want to have - OS, Games, Photos that im editing (I save backups/past imports onto the HDD's but I'd rather not have to do it every time) on the SSD. Plus I just want a huge M.2 SSD cause fuck it. Might just get 32GB RAM and the 1TB SSD instead.

I've been advised to get a 570x MOBO incase I want to upgrade but knowing myself I never do incremental upgrades, so I might just take the current build and add 16GB of the same RAM (G-Skill Aegis 16x2) and be done with it - WDYT? and either 2x2TB for RAID or 1x4TB? I haven't had a HDD fail on me yet but I guess I don't want to have it happen...

EDIT: Since no replies: Here's an updated list of what I'm currently looking to get, would love thoughts. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nQnnPn

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Oz
  20. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

About to dive back into PC gaming, with the current line up of PS5 games not looking promising beyond 1 or 2, I thought I'd get myself something that'll do me for some time as well as be useful for video editing.

I went with

• AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT
    • ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
    • 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 2666MHz
    • 10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080
    • 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA HDD

Feedback/comments welcome :)