1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction's Worst Summaries v10.0

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I think these summaries are a study in the utter garbage of what people write these days. There's many more things with that story other than the fact that the summary is a fucking horror show.

2. telecaster11

telecaster11 First Year

MudbloodSucker » by NightOfMine At times one is certain of what is to come, yet when they are faced with it they are proved terribly wrong. People are unreasonable and challenges often come with pain. Hermione believes herself above such matters. Still, ever so slowly, she is being enchanted by Bellatrix, who wants nothing but to hurt and kill the Mudblood. That is, until... (See AN - ch.9 - for more information)
    M, English, Angst & Drama, chapters: 11, words: 127k+, favs: 71, follows: 128, updated: 8h agopublished: Mar 20, 2013, [Hermione G., Bellatrix L.] Fleur D., Viktor K.

This summary could be significantly worse, but dear god the name. The premise, as with most pairings involving Hermione, is absurd, but the title is beyond stupid. And the summary is still pretty shit.

3. masterpeng

masterpeng First Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can someone explain please, why half the popular FFs these days are about Snape and Harry fucking? I genuinely don't understand this sickness.

4. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is hardly new.

5. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    13 years old girls. See also BL fandom.

6. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Welcome to 2001.

7. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I have little to no memory of this time, though I wonder what material the first four books could have possibly provided to spawn that.
    This took less than two minutes to find. Incidentally, I don't think I'll be surprised.

8. masterpeng

masterpeng First Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, but at that time they were overshadowed by actually good fics (and other tropes). That's no longer the case with most HP writers moving on with life or to other parts of FF, but unfortunately those "Severus" fans/writers remain. It's not just the pairing, the plot and writing is usually really bad and just an excuse to write smut in the first place.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  9. nevu

nevu First Year

Ao3 is far slashier than FF.net ever was, as well, I think. Not entirely sure if it's because AO3 is a lot more lgbt friendlier or if it is just changing times (some people accused FF of being much faster about taking down explicit slash fics, while being very slow to take down hetero explicit fics).

Draco/Harry seems like a much more popular slash pairings than Harry/Snape now though, Black/Lupin being the second most popular (at least on Ao3, which easily lets you count pairings). Snape is still #3, but both of those other relationships are a lot easier to write outside of being some really weird and morally disturbing smut. Strangely, the most common canon pairing is Hermione/Ron (comes in at #4, with Lily/James at #5).

AO3 suffers from much worse summaries because of tag disease, where an author tags literally every character in the story, or starts making up random commentary in their tags.

Like take this :
    Many of the characters listed play a small role, and it seems pointless to mention that this HP fic HAS hp characters, which is essentially what the tagging of Hannah Abbot and some others are about. This isn't an awful story (one of the better done ones of this variety), but the tags take it from merely a mediocre summary to an irritating one.

10. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

If I see a fic on Ao3 reccomended I'll not hold the site against it, but I cannot be fucked trying to find anything on that disaster myself.

11. Download

High Score:
    It's not so bad now they made it easy to exclude certain tags.

12. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Sorry for necro but reading that first line gave me a stroke .

The next few tags were even worse . What kind of sick brain comes up with this.

13. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

Maybe this isn't the best place to post this, but is there a thread for helping authors improve their summary.

14. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

15. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

16. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Made the mistake of sorting by new on ffnet.... Never again :

Genetically Perfect: Mother and Son Harry reminds Snape of Lily in ways more than one as he didn't only inherit his emerald eyes from his mother...he also inherited her perfect thicc bottom and Snape has finally noticed. Will Snape finally fill the hole in his soul? Lots of fluff, spankfic, EXCLAMATION MARKS!, and Snape POV. Guaranteed to satisfy ;) Will update when have time! Snape/Draco/Harry/Justin/Ron/Seamus
    Harry Potter, M, English, Angst & Hurt/Comfort, words: 1k+, 13m ago

God fuck this gay Earth

17. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

Please tell me you made that up. Nobody's stupid enough to do that!

18. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

I always sort by new on reddit so I thought to do the same on ffnet, not ready for the sheer volume of insanity I was going to experience.

19. Download

High Score:

20. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

And so the mantle of thinly veiled self inserts is passed on to another generation. Godspeed.