1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

About the curse on the DA parchment and why it was wrong

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThatGreekLady, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In addition to punishment, the purpose is identification of the traitor so that they can be excluded from the group.

2. ThatGreekLady

ThatGreekLady Fourth Year

High Score:
    Criminal records are one thing, scarring the faces of criminals for life is another. Also, don't even get me started on what happens if someone innocent gets permanently branded as a criminal. At least criminal records can be erased.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  3. kelkorkesis

kelkorkesis DA Member

High Score:
    There is no risk of false conviction here though.

4. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

In hindsight, that didn't count for much either, since Umbridge didn't seem to care enough to conceal her identity. Not that she could have, of course, but she also wanted Marietta to testify to Fudge with Harry and Dumbledore present, so they would probably have found out regardless.

5. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

There were different ways of betraying the group than directly telling Umbridge and testifying about the whole thing later. If she wanted to conceal her identity, she could have given an anonymous tip, possibly through a third party. If the Inquisitorial Squad broke into one of their meetings while in session, that would have provided them with more than enough evidence. Marietta could have even been absent the day of the raid.

6. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Snitches get stitches permanent facial scarring, bitches.

7. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Snitches get bitches???? Must be a new witness protection program perk.

8. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter DA Member

The mechanism of identification leaves something to be desired. As was said before, it requires that either Hermione see Marietta or rely upon the rumor mill for word that the jinx had activated; not the most reliable way of knowing, especially if the violator were to be able to cover it up somehow or be held out of the public eye for a period of time in custody until a raid may be arranged.

It was mentioned before that Umbridge didn't care to conceal Marietta's identity as the collaborator. how very fortunate. This relies upon the enemy being incompetent which a terrible strategy to base anything off of. What if Umbridge was just a little more competent in concealing the snitch?
    "Oh, have you guys seen that Edgecome girl anywhere? " said Ron.
    "No, she's not at the meeting today." replied Hermione.
    "Marietta was given detention by that wretched Umbridge woman for calling her a toad's arse where she could hear. I heard Malfoy bragging loudly in the Great hall to his inquistorial squad goons about it." Said Cho breaking into the private conversation and coming in like a wrecking ball.
    "Hey guys, what's that noise?" said Harry.

This seems to be a situation where being as it is a school setting the punishment/identifier could only be so severe before crossing into curse territory and becoming blatantly criminal (ie. something more deadly/immediate/permanent) in it's effects. Which would bring unneeded heat upon Hermione.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  9. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

"You know somethin', Utivich Harry? I think this just might be my masterpiece!" /roll credits.

10. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

The simplest explanation for this is that JKR didn't think about it. It doesn't make any sense. Punishment are there to keep people in line, and they lose potency if nobody is told about them. I also now will never consider Hermione the same after realizing the scars are permanent.

11. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Well, Hermione could have easily triggered some sort of tongue tying curse in the event of a betrayal. There was no real reason for the curse to be have bad as it was.

12. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I mean, I think its perfectly logical. They're not going to forget it by any means.

13. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

But scars for the rest of her life? For snitching? I mean this takes 'snitches get stitches' to a whole new level, and personally I would much rather get beat up then have that scar.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  14. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

But, I mean, its better than Snitches get ditches.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And we all know that bitches never catch Snitches.

16. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    But do they get knishes?

-----

As for the discussion, let's not confuse Muggle morality with Wizarding morality. It seems they're more accepting of the dangers of magic all the way around. I'd argue that extends to dangers one can place another in for violating trust. Think of the goblins dropping someone in front of a dragon for wearing a disguise going to a vault. (unless that was only in the movies, it's been a long time since I read book 7).

17. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Was just the movies.

18. eeleht

eeleht Squib

The parchment was enchanted to scar the traitor until they felt remorse for their actions, therefore this is irrelevant, poor decision or not.

19. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

I agree with the OP. Hermione's objective was to cause permanent facial scarring and it was effective. No questions asked.

I think that it was deliberate to not mention the curse because it would have caused tension within the group due to the threat hanging over their heads . Maybe, it would have prevented new members from joining as well .

20. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think it's quite karmic.

Umbridge was permanently scarring students with the blood quill. People that collaborate with Umbridge get permanently scarred.

100% Fair. 100% Moral.

If Rowling has been writing a more gritty/realistic work, then 6th year would have seen massive retaliation against Umbridge and Fudge outside of Hogwarts, and Inquistorial Squad collaborations within.