1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ray243, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Now there's something I thought I'd never see. I'd stopped looking at his LJ even. Have to re-read the first books when it gets close.

2. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

Christmas certainly came early this year. I did not think we would be getting this ever. An early 2019 start hopefully means before March. Will definitely start doing a bit of rereading to refresh myself as I haven't touched these since 2012.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well damn, that's been a while. Anyone re-read the first stories recently? Not sure how they will hold up, though I do recall the later stories smoothed out a bit. Been a while.

And thanks for the reminder about the author's LJ - I haven't looked at it in years but I used to check it for his book reviews. Usually had some interesting insight into novels.

4. thejabber27

5. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
  6. sildet

sildet Sixth Year

7. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Inverarity's said on their blog back in May that their beta's have all finished reviewing it and that they're still going over it but it's for certain going to start being released at the end of the summer. I already reread the series around March, so I might do a quick skim again before it's released.

So now that it's closer to the date it's time for speculation. I'm guessing that Jezebel back in the prologue was
    a sacrifice for the Deathly Regiment and that Quimley was more sad about her passing then the General was, or that it was instead supposed to be Livia who was to be sacrificed and that's why he has such a grudge against Thorn

I'm also keen on finding out who exactly Claudia's mother was, or was that said already?

I think that she'll probably head to one of the smaller charms schools and like what some people on the reddit said, this will probably be the book with peak asshole Alexandra behaviour, or she might've been humbled by what happened. I wonder if she'll get an apprenticeship eventually? Out of her determination to fix her mother she might try an start learning from someone experienced.

Also, I was hoping some Larry/Alexandra might come this book or the next. Probably not though because Alexandra is the reason why he lost some fingers/his hand pretty much. Alexandra being the shit that she is will probably blame him for messing up her plan because she's stubborn.

So, I think Charmbridge will definitely be one of the schools taken down in this book, so we might see more of her friends after that happens. Besides that though this is the book where more Circle action should start to happen. I think Alexandra will probably be harassed more by agents and it'll certainly be darker then past books.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  8. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I really don't want more peak!asshole Alexandria.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I can't wait to see more headfirst-into-the-wall!Alex and watching the wall crumble :p

10. thejabber27

Inverarity posted on July 7th that the theoretical last draft has been submitted to Betas. As it stands it's 59 chapters and around 1000 pages though that will fluctuate a bit after the edits. This is really happening.

11. sildet

sildet Sixth Year

12. RabidAsparagus

RabidAsparagus Fifth Year

13. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    That's great news!

Those who, after all these years, can't precisely recall who's who in Abe 'Stud' Thorn's intricate family tree, can re-read the four first books or perhaps take some abridged refresher course at the Quickipedia.

https://quickipedia.fandom.com

14. Darth

Darth Third Year

I cannot believe the day is here after so many years.

I re-read the series recently and two parts jumped out at me in the Stars Above. When she is conversing with the Stars Above, they prophesise:
    And later, she says to her biological mother, Hecate:
    The two things taken together made me have the startling triumvirate conclusion

1. Alex will "take" a life - her own life, in order to save
    2. Her mother's life - by restoring her memories - and this is necessary because
    3. The only way to restore her memories is by losing her own for some reason.

Rather than literally dying, I think they are referring memory loss and gain. I think there is some connection between Hecate's memory and Alexandra. The Stars Above also say "But can't say what she knows." which lends to the idea that Alexandra has something in her head other than the Thorn Circle secret which she couldn't say either.

In particular, Diana says ""I don't have another sister, Alexandra. Not anymore." and "Hecate is gone, Alexandra. That... shell, that creature, that's not my sister. It's not your mother. Don't hope for anything from her; she's gone". Lending to the idea of total memory loss = death.

Or, perhaps Alexandra's simple, determined speech to her Mother just captivated me :)

(Also, can I just say how annoyed I was and am that Alexandra didn't murder Darla to save Max, which led to Darla trying to sacrifice Innocence, which led to Alex being fated to die, and then after all that Darla kills herself anyway.)

I'm also curious what the Stars Above meant by:

(Edit: My first post on DLP after 4 years - that's how much I missed this story!)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  15. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

This is so exciting, going to reread the other books now. How often do we get this kind of follow through from fan fix authors?

16. Darth

Darth Third Year

Second chapter is up: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13353323/2/Alexandra-Quick-and-the-World-Away

I'm not particularly engrossed by Alexandra's love life (perhaps just grossed ;), but it's clear this is a subplot that is not going to be dropped.

I really don't think the appeal is going to work out in any way, but it will bring Claudia and Livia together in a magical setting and hopefully lead to more details about what happened to them. At least, I'm looking forward to more interaction between the three of them. I liked Alex and Livia's little adventure at the sweet factory in Larkin Mills in Stars Above.

17. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Alexandra Quick and the World Away has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 2
    Words: 4,435
    Updated: 2019-08-05 13:51:24 UTC
    Published: 2019-08-02 10:55:08 UTC
    Previously updated: 3 days ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

18. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Xion will let us know about the updates going forward. FYI for everyone in the library. If the OP has a FFN link added to it for the sequel, Xion reads more than the first FFN link now. Thanks Raven for doing that.

So if in the future a thread needs to have another book edited in, lemme know and I'll get it added.

19. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Yup, same here.

A way Alex's trysts might be relevant to the plot is if later it is revealed that the Thorn line has some affinity with fertility magic, so they are naturally inclined to be promiscuous. After all, Abe's record is pretty impressive: six daughters and a son from four different mothers, as far as we know.

Otherwise, I suppose it tells us something about Alex as a person. However, I don't feel run-of-the-mill teen sex filler merits that much space in books I am reading for the fantasy, the magic, the world building... I can't get myself to care about it.

20. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Sorta unrealistic for the teenage dude to be the moderating force.

Not a huge fan of teen romance scenes but it fits Alex's personality-- forceful, independent, does what she wants, etc.