1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Why isn't the Wizarding World more separate from the muggle world?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mal'sSerenity, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Mal'sSerenity

Mal'sSerenity Second Year

High Score:
    By this I mean why are places such as the entrance to the Ministry at a phone booth in muggle London or the entrance to the Hogwarts Express at a pillar in King's Cross? I mean wizards obviously don't think much of muggles so why do they have such places where they would interact with them? Why not just have these sort of places at Diagon Alley or some other purely magical place and keep everything magical together?

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I would assume their entrances existed before the Muggles did in the area. They were just adapted to the times.

Why keep things grouped together when you have magic. There's no point.

3. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I would assume wizarding and muggle presence at those locations existed before Secrecy. Similarly, despite the freakout when Harry and Ron flew a car to Scotland, most wizards assume the secret is basically safe.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

You mean one entrance is through the phone booth and the barrier, respectively.

For the Ministry we know that there are floos, and I see no reason why there shouldn't be floos at platform 9-3/4, other than the fact that they aren't mentioned. Plus, I presume you can apparate there. If you're asking for the reason those entrances (also the Leaky Cauldron Charing Cross entry) exist, I presume it's a backup for Muggleborns, mostly. It's unfortunate that Harry is basically a Muggleborn in this regard; we get a warped perspective. It's entirely possible (even plausible, given their ignorance) that the average wizard goes about their life, including travelling, without ever even seeing a Muggle.

If that's true, it doesn't really get any more separate.

5. Mal'sSerenity

Mal'sSerenity Second Year

High Score:
    Yeah, your right. I haven't brought the somewhat warped view that we get from Harry's perspective into consideration.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not sure that Platform 9 3/4 has Floo. The Weasleys go there by car in CoS (Ford Anglia), PoA (Ministry cars), and GoF (Muggle taxi). We also see them using the entrance to the Muggle station in PS.

While they are poor, the Weasleys do use the Floo freely, as seen in CoS and GoF. So I don't think there can be Floo entrances on the platform.

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well, possibly. I would only raise that (i) I see no reason why the Ministry couldn't install floos there, so it makes no sense to have none, and (ii) the Weasleys go through the barrier for plot reasons in PS, because Harry needs to encounter them.

The latter naturally means that if asked, Rowling could make up any arbitrary reason why connecting platform 9-3/4 with floos does not work, and neither apparating there, and that would be that, but from a structural point of view, to behave as the rest of the wizarding world does, you'd expect ways to travel there, without moving through the Muggle world -- precisely because they are so separate.