1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other TV Shows

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, Netflix cancelled S3. The producers said they were shopping around to maybe find some other network that'd take it, but that's probably not gonna happen.

2. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I've heard a lot of people mention the show Brooklyn 99. Thoughts?

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes.

Best damn comedy on television imo. Think workplace comedy but with cops. Also Andy Samberg.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Let me answer this in the most common Brooklyn 99 meme's format.

"I've only had Brooklyn 99 for six seasons... but if anything happened to it, I would kill everyone in this room and then myself."

5. Arthellion

High Score:
    Still one of the best Cold Opens

6. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I've "finally" checked out the new ST Discovery episode and I didn't expect it to get worse. I was wrong.

This is really Disney Star Wars level bad now.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Wow really? I thought it was loads upon loads better than pretty much all of S1. Burnham is still basically just a dickbag version of Hermione Granger without the fondness for rules (I don't understand why they decided to make her such a stark contrast from the optimistic and idealistic MCs of past shows), but I saw lots of improvement in other areas.

1) They actually had several humorous bits that reminded me a little of TNG style comedy. Saru had some genuinely fun moments.

2) It does sorta look like they're setting up the season to explore the ensemble POVs instead of giving it to us 99% through Mikey's eyes. Also, the bridge crew actually got some lines! Fucking took long enough.

3) The science technobabble was more in line with what I've come to expect from Trek. Still not quite on par though.

4) I thought the introduction of Pike was very well done. Sure, Pike is canonically just a Kirk clone with more discipline, but the actor is quite good, and this show desperately needs some of that federation/starfleet optimistic flavor. I hope his first officer gets some development as well and doesn't go the road of "random douche guy that mansplained at Burnham and who thus had to die horribly".

5) Tig Notaro's character was great. Hope she becomes part of the recurring cast. The show really needs a Geordi/Scotty/B'elanna type of engineer to share in some of the technical solutions. Like, I'm sorry, Burnham being able to solve every problem under the sun herself just makes me roll my eyes.

It seems like at the very least that they internalized some of the more common fan complaints and worked to improve it a bit.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm glad I dropped the series at the midway break in season 1 now. I just think the tone is not ST at all.

9. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    It is definitely the least Trekish Trek to date, and it has been plagued by bad production decisions from the get go.

The first bad decision was deciding to make a Trek for non-Trekkies, then hiding the show behind a subscription service so only the hardcore fans (a la trekkies) would end up watching it.

It was pretty much all downhill from there.

They went with a bleak and gritty tone instead of optimism and hope for the future. They chose single char focus instead of an ensemble cast. They chose plot serialization instead of episodic format and due to high budget per episode there is no room for irreverant scifi or spec fiction filler eps, so all their social commentary is squashed into an already convoluted main plot.

It is the worst Trek to date, imo. But I still keep watching, hoping it will miraculously get better and/or do a 180 and return to formula.

Here's hoping the Picard show will save the franchise and not send it into dormancy for another decade.

Edit: Instead of clogging this further, I'll go necro the Discovery thread.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  10. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The overall story of Rebels was better than all but three of the SW movies and the important arcs of Clone Wars. Fight me.

11. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It got pretty bland for me personally, but still okay. Sabine is def one of my all-time fav Sw characters.

12. Arthellion

High Score:
    Young Justice just had the funniest episode and meta commentary ever.

They literally created Doom Patrol GO! In the same style as Teen Titans GO! with the same voice actors. Fricking hilarious.

13. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I recommend the show "God Friended Me" for anyone looking for something to watch. 13 episodes are out so far and it's great. A nice feel good show that's just really fun to watch.

It's on mid season hiatus until episode 14 so now is a good time to start watching.

14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Started watching Deadly Class, got hooked. It's a cool show with an interesting premise about a secret school for killers and assassins, set in 1987.

15. Arthellion

High Score:
    I've been enjoying it. So much of it should be triggering my cringe factor...but somehow it isn't. The show just works despite the fact it feels like a bad fanfic.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Same. I think my enjoyment despite the cringe can be attributed to the quality acting. The weakest of the bunch is probably the yakuza girl, and she's still probably better than 80% of the people you'd find on the CW.

17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Been enjoying it, but I feel like it's very much an adaptation. There are just stretches of the show that feel like they're skimming over something a lot deeper. The characters feel like realistic teenagers without feeling like they're caricatures, most of the time.

I would like to get into a portion of the story that's more focused, though. At the moment it's kind of just slice of life + death school.

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    I still LOL at the best line of the series (imo) so far:

"I'm going to kill Ronald Reagan."

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

"Step away from the goat, sir."

20. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    “It is I, Aberforth.”

I’ve been watching the Ted Bundy Tapes on Netflix lately. Haven’t finished, as I’m watching in small doses time permitting, but I can recommend it so far.