1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fandom from When Your Grampa was Your Age

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vlad, Feb 6, 2019.

1. quixoticcool

quixoticcool Third Year

High Score:
    Much like how she did with Dumbledore once it becomes socially acceptable we'll hear about how Tom Riddle was sexually attracted to children and how society's disapproval is what made him evil.

2. Dirty Puzzle

Dirty Puzzle Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ugh all the really, really bad anime crossovers where no explanation was given for why Naruto could go to Hogwarts. Not even a Hogwarts AU or anything (which I generally loathe), but just an anime character going to Hogwarts to bodyguard Harry or some shit.

3. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

The thing that sticks with me the most was how shit it was to navigate all the different sites. I'll bitch all day about AO3's overutilized-to-the-point-of-uselessness tagging system, but trying to find a specific ship or character focus on FictionAlley was an excercise in frustration. Even browsing their archives was unnecessarily unintuitive unless you were looking for just the last dozen or so stories published/updated.

Also, Livejournal fic recs. Not just the fandom update pages that were basically proto-reddit, but when your best bet for finding good new fics was to find someone with tastes compatible with yours and get them to rec and link all their favorite fics. A good rec list with a decent comment section could keep you entertained for a week or two.

At least I'm not quite old enough to remember getting my only fanfiction fix from fanzines.

4. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

The illustrious Robst, not content with staying in the 2000s where he belongs, put out Harry murdering Death Eaters using "piercing" charms in the October of 2018! It also has a severe case of muggle wank as well if you for some reason miss that phenomenon as well .

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  5. valrie

valrie Fifth Year

Oh man, that was the Harry Crow guy right? One of the first fics I read and I somehow finished it even though it was the cringiest thing I've ever read. I looked up best Harry Potter fanfiction after reading HPMOR and someone put that on Nr.2 or 3... The only good thing I can think of about his fics is that there are not many spelling errors.

Looking back I don't know why I even continued reading HP fics after that start.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Damn... I'm looking at his profile and this guy has written a lot of fics with more than 100k words. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else who has written that much and especially with every fic at least a decent length.

6. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Is this actually new? From what I remember of robst, his biggest problem was that he kept writing the same fic over and over again with minor cast/setting changes.

7. James

James Unspeakable

Lol, look up megamatt09. He writes the worst smut possible, it's always harem where HP gets every girl possible.

He wrote 16M words of this. #truestory

8. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really want to like MegaMatt, because the volume of their work would keep me occupied for ages.

But it was just so bad, I couldn't. Unless he's gotten better

9. James

James Unspeakable

When we've talked about this on the IRC, back when I totalled his works on ff.net, someone said that Matt is mentally disabled in some way. What it boils down to, though, is that all of those stories basically boil down to 4 paragraphs of bad smut, repeated with different girls (in name only) until you get to 16M.

10. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Just going through some old fics. Don’t see many stories today doing the old Harry steals a time turner during OotP and uses it to cram years of training into the summer.

Speaking of which I’d love to see a Harry Potter story based on Mother of Learning https://m.fictionpress.com/s/2961893/1/Mother-of-Learning#end I know there’s that timeloop story by Perfect Lionheart, but it’s garbage.

11. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Pretty sure that Perfect Lionheart story was Naruto, not Harry Potter. The Harry Potter one was the cartoonishly-evil Dumbledore one.

12. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

He has honestly gotten worse.

13. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

The whole idea behind Light Lord Dumbledore with the Light Phoenix by his side. Is this still a thing? Or has it finally started dying down. Though CoG did make the phoenix more of a bloodline thing than any kind of light/dark thing. I wonder if that makes people want to write about manipulative Dumbledore even more now?

14. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Turning Wizards into the fucking Jedi was such an annoying thing. "He's a Light Wizard, he's a Dark Wizard- Harry is a Grey Wizard!!!"

I still have angry 'Nam flashbacks when I think about it.

15. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

The hilarious thing was authors dividing the Wizengamot into the "light bloc", "dark bloc" and the "moderates".

Apparently in the Wizarding world there are people whose entire political identity is based around using dark magic .

16. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

They've stopped doing that? I guess it has been a minute since I saw that in a story.

17. quixoticcool

quixoticcool Third Year

High Score:
    I don't think it's that they've stopped doing it as such but more that they have become more subtle. For a while very other fic had harry as a "grey wizard". Nowadays they have Harry toe the line between Good and Evil like he's doing the hokey pokey but avoid slapping it with labels that instantly tun off readers.