1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the NofP by S'Tarkan - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Did anyone else shit their pants when they saw this updated? What's the point in still even writing this story if you don't update frequently enough to have the story go anywhere >.>

and yeah definitely disappointing considering its a 3 year wait, but I guess hoping for a 20k+ mega chapter is a bit too much.

It's also amazing just how dated this fic feels when you go back and reread it now. Which isn't surprising because it basically invented like half of the now cliches it uses. But this was the first HP fanfic I ever read, and is still one of the best intro to fanfiction pieces you can have.

edit: Also now that I think about it. When I first read this fic I preferred Harry/Ginny and now I loathe that pairing. Why don't people like Fleur the most again?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Chances are your standards have improved since the last chapter too.

3. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I suppose it shouldn't be surprising to see, but I am mystified by the reviews this chapter has received. Nothing but lavish praise, especially on the 'battle'.

From what I've seen, I'm the only one who has posted a negative review. Gah.

Stupid me; when the idea of IRA mercenaries descending upon Hogwarts was introduced, I had visions of men in fatigues ducking into classrooms, spraying off quick bursts of machine-gun fire into unsuspecting students, before moving onto the next room.

Ah well.

4. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I think this story outlived its durability date years ago.

5. brad

brad Third Year

I think it will be worth it even if the story isn't finished until ~2035 when the author is retired and has the free time to complete it. A good story is a good story. And a good completed story is better than one that's abandoned. Even if we'd prefer it to go faster.

It's the H/G that dates it; Harry/Ginny is just so uncool these days. :)

It's a bit of an adjustment, trying to fight off the memories of Rowling's nasty little girl and instead try and see the Ginny of this story, isn't it? So far the author has refrained from making Ginny into too perfect, smarter than Hermione (although he's gotten close), etc. I hope he doesn't cross the line and do a Rowling with Ginny.

With a hundred dementors patrolling the boundaries of the castle, the downfall of the mercenaries before they even got started makes perfect sense, don't you think? If the dementors hadn't been around, then sure, maybe you would have seen your corridors running with blood (although the muggle-repelling charms would have still been a hurdle. How do you enter a castle you can't see?)

6. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, only that the outcome was disappointing. I expected that there would be more to the plan than inciting the Dementors to attack Hogwarts.

7. Gurukid

Gurukid Third Year

8. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

Wow, I never really liked this fic and skimmed over many parts I didn´t like but I thought it was ok

But this is terrible, I get that he used many cliches in the old chapters but come on this is 2015 and he should really drop shit like martial arts teacher, finding your inner animal and power levels in hp magic

Glad I skipped so much of it maybe it was ok back in the day but he still using terrible cliches now

And why the fuck does Harry don´t know shit about transfiguration (or is he just acting and let sirius explain stuff) I thought he killed LV in the past this doesn´t make any sense

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  9. Stan

Stan Order Member

Heh, an update. I wasn't expecting one for at least another three years.

As for the story, it was definitely one of my favorites once upon a time, but I very much doubt I would enjoy the story nearly as much if I read it now. The inevitable comparisons to Backwards with a Purpose -- a superior story in every possible way -- probably won't help matters. I am considering not reading the update and keeping my fond-ish memories of the story intact (I didn't read the previous update either), but I don't want to miss out if the chapter is actually good.

10. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I too, have chosen to keep this in fond memories. This and her Naruto story team 8. Even if this next chapter is awesome, I still bide my time to see the conclusion. So much has happened in the fandom since the start of this fic, and what was once an innovation is now part of the pack.

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    The author is Matthew Schocke, likely a dude given the name. (I'm not reading either story anymore as a matter of principle--I don't dig the whole beg for donations to write fanfiction thing.)

12. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I started to re-read this after last update, and it's aged about as well as cheese. In the sun. Pretty good for its time, but just isn't holding up at all.

13. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

so NoFP updated again. maybe it's just the absurd amount of time between, but has it always been so heavy on time-is-passing-here's-what-we-did exposition? i don't remember it being quite this blatant before.

the first few sections weren't too bad. but then there are several in a row where there was literally no dialogue, but semi-important things being described.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Huh, yeah, @Perspicacity. I think Patreon in general is great, and I donate to nobody103 for writing "Mother of Learning," but for fanfiction? Seems too much like getting paid for it, and feels a bit wrong.

I too have fond memories of this fic. It used to be one of my favorites. I never got into Naruto Team8, but I think that was in large part because I never liked Kurenai much. Regardless I might go back and re-read it one day, but as others have said newer fics have done the premise better since a decade ago.

Edit: Okay, it looks like he's got his Patreon set up for 'original fiction' but seems to imply that he still gets donations for the fanfiction chapters as well? It's not clear. But if he only gets a donation for the original fiction, then more power to him.

Interesting though that if you pledge $50 per update, he'll read and critique your work (up to 10k words! o_O

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  15. Stan

Stan Order Member

About the donations thing. Apparently:

I think the controversy comes from this:

Since this 'reward' seems to be the most popular among his patrons, it can be read as people paying to get his updates early. It is easy to why it would rub some people the wrong way.

Heh. DLP would do it better and for free. Assuming he's speaking about fanfiction/web-fiction, of course.

16. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 43
    Words: 419,789
    Updated: 2019-03-22 23:53:24 UTC
    Published: 2005-10-28 08:02:54 UTC
    Previously updated: over 3 years ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

17. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy shit man. Talk about the waybackmachine.

18. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

"Four years... four years since last we met. Yet you update your story as though it were yesterday, we are still united under the In Progress tag, then! Or are we?"

I remember this story as having those
    workout and magical core
    cliches, I wonder if it is as good as I found it earlier?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  19. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Three years between updates, crazy. This story def. hasn't aged all that well. Its kind sad I used to like this I'm pretty sure.

20. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 44
    Words: 429,782
    Updated: 2019-04-02 22:25:05 UTC
    Published: 2005-10-28 08:02:54 UTC
    Previously updated: 11 days ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.