1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q2 2019 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q2 2019' started by Ched, Mar 30, 2019.

?

How many prompts could Polly pick if a parrot could pick a prompt?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2019.
  1. Daphne Greengrass

29 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. "You track a wolf, you track a dog - pretty soon you know the difference."

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  3. Azkaban

29 vote(s)
    42.0%
  4. "I saw the time knife?!"

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I voted for Azkaban. I have an idea for an alternate version of Azkaban that's based on a video game I like. I suppose I could include Daphne. In fact, I have an idea to marry those two prompts. So yeah. I'll make an honest effort to submit. It'll be my first competition since the ones we held in the Super Secret Flamingo Lounge.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I consider the books to be canon and nothing else, personally. Information from JKR or the movies, to me, are secondary canon. A step above fanon, of course, but not quite there.

Regardless whenever we end up writing about Daphne I'll probably include a write-up about what's in the books, what's from JKR/movies, and a link to the ice-queen trope or whatever people usually use for her.

3. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I don't really post much on here anymore cause I don’t have time for competitions, but I feel like everyone in this thread is being pointlessly obtuse.

Yes, there is no explicit information about Daphne Greengrass from canon. That is undeniable. But most everyone here knows who, or what, Daphne Greengrass is generally thought to be. It like the letter versus the spirit of the law (or spirit of the prompt, in this case).

The literal interpretation of Daphne Greengrass is that "she" is an OC. But we all know the intent of the prompt for those who suggested it and voted on it. Honestly, to deviate in a large sense from the near uniform 2-3 established characterizations of Daphne Greengrass just screams "I'm woke and want attention" and not in a good way.

4. Ched

Honestly the entire reason I started to trying to figure out what we knew about Daphne from canon is that I don't know much about her in fanon either.

The only Harry/Daphne I've ever read that I remember is the Downward Spiral saga, in which she was a terrifying murderer who made horcruxes along with a Harry who was Voldemort's right hand man.

I had to look up "Ice Queen" on TVTropes to figure out what the hell everyone meant with regards to her 'characterization' because to my knowledge I have never read it in a fanfic before. I mean, yes, I could guess what it meant, but I figured I'd be missing something. And if I have read her written this way before (and I have read a lot of fanfics, so it's quite possible) then it was entirely forgettable. And I forgot.

I avoid the shit out of fanfics that focus on shipping Harry with someone, which most Daphne fics apparently are, because in my experience if a fanfic brags about it's 'ship' then there is going to be far too much focus on romance/relationships for me to want to read it at all. So I don't.

So, in short, fuck you. :D

I'm trying to figure this out so that when I run a competition with a Daphne focus I can summarize what we know and from where for people like me who don't give two shits about an OC everyone decided was a bitch from Slytherin for purposes of shipping Harry with a specific type of OC.

Deviate from the 'established characterizations' and be aware that people might not vote for your story because of it. That's fair and expected. But technically there's no requirement to follow those tropes.

5. Ched

Ah, well, damn. There's my temper.

Edit: I should have left out the blatant "fuck you" in there, Sey, but otherwise I stand by everything I said as my opinion on the matter.

6. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'm just going to name one of the Dementors Daphne Greengrass and call it a day.

7. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Well said. I just discussed something similar with Scott in the Worst Reviews thread. Established characterisations in fanfiction are not a pillar, but ultimately a hindrance to the community writing some unique and worthy stories.

8. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Honestly, could we do open polling next time? Where a name is attached to a vote. I have a strong suspicion that people voting for romance, Daphne, etc are neither submitting nor reviewing.

9. Ched

Already mentioned that.

Red
  10. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Why? Other writers made their own, you can make your own. Some of the writers contributing to the established characterizations are cartoonishly terrible writers, why do they get to decide who she is? If she were really an OC, that would be different, but she's not. People who are writing her character in their own way are making fanfics of the canon, not other fanfics, and I would go so far as to say that's the better way of doing it, though if you want to create an OC that's similar to someone else's, I suppose you could do that.

11. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Guys Daphne is losing!

Band Together!

In Vlad We Trust!

12. Mal'sSerenity

Mal'sSerenity Second Year

High Score:
    Hey, I just voted Daphne to troll you Red. My motives and actions are transparent. I've got nothing to hide and I have no shame.

13. Ched

I look forward to reading your entry :p

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When does the vote close? Watching the two prompts neck and neck is giving me great anxiety.

15. Ched

I think it closes April 4th @ 7:16 AM Central. My screen says 7:16 AM anyway, and I know that's not my current time zone, so probably my home one. Or thereabouts.

Personally I'm hoping Azkaban wins. Then we can do that one for Q2 and run an extra, shorter competition for Daphne (not flash, because people are really into this idea, but shorter & quicker).

16. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I bailed ship a couple hours ago to Azkaban since my response can fall into either category and I honestly do think we would see a more positive turn out there. But Daphne has regained the lead so who knows.

17. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Please don't do Azkaban ffs.

18. Joe

High Score:
    I voted for Azkaban. I intend to write something for it.

I think the prompt has plenty of angles not yet explored. Personally, I'm going with Azkaban... on the moon.

19. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pull a Joe and throw the whole damn prison away and build a new one. And just as I'm writing this Joe does in fact post to say more or less just that so...

20. Joe

High Score:
    Get out of my head, Zenzao.

Not open for further replies.