1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Anyone want to put up 'Life and Honor' as well? Might do it, but I probably won't do it justice...

2. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Just do it man, Jesus . It's not that crucial.

3. invinoveri

invinoveri Third Year

Hey, damn everyone in here for making me think A Song for Dragons wasn't good. It's a cool fic. Just the Jaime tidbits would make it worth reading.

4. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

To be fair - not everyone using DLP has the same taste. You tend to learn which people has the same taste as you eventually if you pay attention to it.

5. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    The Hostage Prince
    Jon Connington isn't exiled after his defeat at Stoney Sept, leading him to stop Rhaegers death on The Trident but not saving him completely from Roberts blow.

The rebellion is quelled with Roberts death and on his death bed Rhaeger pardons the surviving Lords due to a promise he made Lyanna (bitch loves promises) in an unknowing last decree before his wounds kill him. Lyanna is brought back alive and heavily pregnant to Kings Landing but still dies from child birth after Lord Connington is named Regent. Bittered by the pardoning and Rhaegers death, Elia's warm treatment of Lyanna and having to burden the responsibilities of the realm.. Jon becomes petty. He claims the newly born Jon Targaryen as a hostage of the North and ensures he grows up alone and unloved at KL while Rhaenys and Aegon are sent to foster in Dorne.

Hopefully I did that right, bit of a mouthful though. Story follows Prince Jon as he grows up amongst those who see him as his mothers son and not his fathers due to Conningtons leadership, neglected by all but Oswell Whent who is one of the sole remaining Kingsguard in KL as the others went with his siblings and Elia to Dorne or watch over his aunt and uncle. Spiteful and bitter, Connington has managed to piss off the rebellious kingdoms during his regency and only manages to set the stage for a second rebellion when Aegon returns when he is old enough to bare the crown.

Honestly going to give up trying to explain it, it's a decent fic with good characterisations and well written. Give it a crack.

Edit: Clarified Jons where-abouts.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  6. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really want to like it just because of the unique premise but reading the first couple of chapters so far the writing is kind of bland, and the characterization of Connington and Jon are like caricatures.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

so my bad, gettem lads.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  8. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wrong thread man.

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

lmao rip.

10. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I like it. The characters are nice and partially OC (but not more than can explained by the departure from the books storyline).
    I agree with your assessment that Jon Connington reads like a charicature of himself, but thankfully
    He gets deposed as a regent relatively soon in the story.
    Aegon and his sister Rhaenys seem like a do-it-all power couple in the beginning but thankfully it takes a turn

My main issue so far is Jon being a bit of a fix-it-all
    and the Starks' overwhelming love straight out
    , but it's not too bad. I've bookmarked the story to follow future updates

11. invinoveri

invinoveri Third Year

It's pretty bad I skipped around a bit. The characterization is forced, Jon is hard to read for example, every chapter had Jon blushing, he's *shy*. Some of the characters actions are hard to believe. The worst part is it doesn't feel like ASOIAF in tone. Oh and it's Jon/Arya; maybe someone could do a good one but I've never seen it.

Here is an example, this is way later on in the story. And Jon is still slinky

“You’re being quiet,” Robb commented, steering his horse to trot along next to Jon’s. “What are you thinking so hard about?”

“You and Loras both like to point out that I’m always quiet,” Jon retorted, not really wanting to bring up what was on his mind. Not with Robb, at least. It would likely be taken the wrong way and he really didn’t want to cause offense.

“No, we like to point out that you have a tendency to brood when it may behoove you to confide your worries in your trusted friends,” Robb replied with a triumphant smirk. “Which is what you are doing now.”

Jon shifted in his saddle and sighed. Robb wasn’t likely to let this go. Ever since the dismissal of Septa Mordane, and his cousin’s realization that his sisters’ lives had not been as good as he had though, Robb had begun taking his role as “big brother” very seriously. Somehow, Jon, despite only being a few moons younger than Robb, had gotten lumped in as a younger sibling to be protected.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  12. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

And they call him Dragonwolf. This Jon is part vagina; he's not just shy, he's a fucking wimp. The crying and the angst make a ruin of what could be a good story. As is, it's guilty pleasure level right now. The writing isn't bad, persay, but almost everything else is.

13. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When it comes to Asoiaf I trust @Cxjenious.

Still surprised at the lack of stories where Robert survives against the boar.

What about one where Theon doesn't act like a fucktard and keeps faith with Robb?

14. Donimo

Donimo Auror

If Robert doesn't die than the stations of canon are butterflied away. What will they write about then?

15. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    White walkers, dragons, civil war. Y'know, the usual.

16. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

On a related note, are there any decent stories where Robert actually makes the transition from rebel leader to warrior-king? Not like he actually becomes a competent administrator or anything, but simply where he mans up and actually (tries to) deals with the bullshit instead of spiraling into depression and becoming a sloppy fat fuck.

There's all kinds of interesting ripple effects from that, and I'm curious if anyone's actually written it.

17. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Eh you're basically asking for him to be a better king, which is a fine prompt, but it also seems based in that fanon belief that he was grossly incompetent. The fact that he actually held the realm together is a considerable accomplishment. We know what happened pretty much the moment he died.

18. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I always thought that Bobby B trying to take revenge against those involved in Lyannas kidnapping would make for a good pod and could fit into The Good king trope.

If Robert is busy laying siege to the Hightower and trying to reconquer Dorne there is no time to drink, where and grow fat.

19. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I mean... he didnt really hold the realm together. Jon Arryn and Bobby B having marriage ties to 4 of the realms is what kept the peace. I love Bobby B and I hate his representation in fanon- but lets not pretend for a moment he was a competent king.

20. Catman

Catman DA Member

On the subject of The Hostage Prince, I quite like it but I do enjoy Targaryen still in power stories as it is. It's fair to not like it based on Jon's characterization, but his characterization is kind of the point of the story. I think one of the tags is emotional abuse or something. His character is the result of being mistreated and more specifically feeling alone during his childhood raised in King's Landing. There's this whole sequence when Aegon / Rhaenys / the Dornish as a whole return to court where Aegon and more specifically Rhaenys try to make friends with him and he is very mistrustful of them. Understandable this isn't to some peoples taste. But the writing is good enough to get it a 3/5 imo and if you enjoy this type of story then it's a 4/5 and worth reading.