1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Out of the Night by Raining Ink - T

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Philly Homer, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Raining Ink

Raining Ink First Year

Thank you for the well-wishes, and thanks for posting the link

@sesc --
    There are a lot of reasons to delete old fan fiction. Many agents/editors in the professional realm like to have that kind of thing brushed as thoroughly under the rug as possible to prevent any potential legal issues or any publicity problems. (If I wanted to write conservative religious fiction, for example, it would be a problem for many people that I had written fan fiction for Harry Potter --WiTcHCRafT!!!-- I don't plan to write that kind of book; but it's still a good policy.)

More to the point though, I intend to ask ff.net to delete my account in a couple of months. I doubt they'll actually do it, but I'm going to give it a shot. I don't intend to make a trolly pest of myself, which I *know* would eventually do the trick, so here's to hoping. Deleting the fic now is the warning shot across the bow for people who want to grab copies before I vanish.

2. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

Sorry to see this story dropped, I quite liked it. Good luck in your endeavors.

Slightly off topic question. I understand why publishers want you to delete fanfiction. But if you don't admit to writing it, how would they know.

3. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I just noticed something about the file I've provided - opening it through Dropbox replaces the special characters (which I went to a lot of trouble to put in) with the 'â€' symbol. The issue seems to be fixed if you download the file, then open it from your computer.

Edit: I've also updated Dropbox - fixed some scene break issues. The new version looks slightly different; probably a result of me removing half the style information. If you don't like it, I can sort something out for you.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

This is the question I had. It doesn't make much sense to me. I'd like to know how this story was going to end up, but it wasn't the plot or the writing that made me enjoy this story. It was the originality. There were quite a few unique ideas that lured me into becoming a massive fan of this story. I'll be sad to see it go for that fact alone.

Good luck with everything.

5. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

You two are so naive. You'd be surprised how much shit can be dug up on a person online, and how easily.

6. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Find my story on AFF, if it's so easy. :sherlock:

Edit: Just realized that I wrote it when I was 14 and haven't touched it since, I doubt it's even still up.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

If you used the same email and real name for everything yeah, but who does this. Maybe I'm ignorant of the thoroughness of publishers, but I wouldn't think it would be necessary to use Tor with custom settings and proxies to remain anonymous. They aren't the FBI.

8. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Is being known that you wrote fanfiction really that harmful to your chances as an author? I mean, it isn't exactly hard to find out that jbern or Cassandra Clare both write/wrote fanfiction.

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    While Cassandra Clare has a multi-book deal with Simon & Schuster, she's the exception and I don't believe that she writes fanfiction anymore. Few fanfiction authors manage to land contracts with major publishing houses (though in fairness, the same could be said about non-fanfiction authors--there's a chicken-and-egg problem with breaking into the industry). I'm told by my professional author friends that fanfiction still carries a stigma within the traditional publishing business.

This may change someday with the "mainstreaming" of fanfiction and the transition that the publishing world is going through, but it's not there yet.

10. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Yup, best of luck Raining Ink. I enjoyed the shit out of it.

11. fanfic-addict

fanfic-addict Muggle

For the disappointed fans of this story who aren't aware of it yet I'd like to tell you that OotN was adopted a few months ago by ff.net author BekkaJane.

The author completely re-posted the whole story on ff.net under his (or her ?) name along with a new original chapter of his own. The re-posted part might be lacking some finer points like italics and stuff compared to the original post though the author apparently corrected at least some of it.

Regarding the new chapter I think that the author managed to do a pretty good job but I also think that only time will tell if he can really continue Raining Ink's work properly. Not to mention that progress is apparently slow-going for now due to real life issues.

12. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

By jove, a decent necro. Thanks, man.

13. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does the new author have anything saying they have permission? or has Raining Ink posted something anywhere? That'd be better.

Edit: I find this especially strange since the original author wanted it down specifically...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  14. fanfic-addict

fanfic-addict Muggle

According to Raining Ink's ff.net profile and her posts in the ff.net OotN discussion forum she pretty much offered the continuation of this story to anyone interested in doing so. She even mentioned that she might post the outline she had in mind for those who want to continue the story... though that was in January and nothing of the sort happened to my knowledge.

Now that I think about it and actually re-read those posts I'm not sure if this offer was only for the first person interested. I believe that anyone can take a shot at this if they are interested and stick to the rules Raining Ink wrote in her ff.net profile regarding continuation.

I don't know anything about that for sure though so people should definitely try to contact Raining Ink or at the very least BekkaJane before they do something hasty and stupid. And blame me for it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, the story is open to continuation by anyone, subject to certain stipulations (a disclaimer, a rating limit).

16. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Awesome was just making sure ^^ guess it's time to read this classic

17. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I have the exact wording ....here:

18. basabbath

basabbath Second Year

Just read the last two chapters (Ink's last and Jane's first) and was impressed by what I seen, if I hadn't known they were written by two different people I'm not sure I would of noticed anything different.

19. Cnr456

Cnr456 Squib

High Score:
    While not the best dark Harry story, definitely a good introduction into the genre. It's moderate enough to where people aren't blindsided by the actions Harry takes while being introspective of his motivations.

20. SPJaymo117

SPJaymo117 Squib

Anyone know what happened to the necro of this story? Or did it suffer the same fate? Can only see that Bekkajane’s profile is no longer in use