1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HBO's Watchmen [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Arthellion, May 8, 2019.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This looks interesting...

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's just a teaser, but at the moment if they changed a title and nothing else, they could pass it as an original setting.

3. MF DOOM

MF DOOM Second Year

Watchmen without blue dong, is no Watchman.

4. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I'm intrigued. The end of the original put Veidt's save-the-world plan in jeopardy due to Rorschach's journal. This looks like the logical extension of what happens next. If Jon appears at all, I could see him being Adrian Veidt's personal hallucination of God laying judgment on him. The other heroes (aside from being targeted for assassination for being part of the conspiracy) would be motivated at least a little to help preserve the lie that 'caused' world peace (assuming it did), and the whole arc could be an extended rumination on the social impact and value of exposing truth over sustaining diplomatic collusion, which is a timely concern.

5. blob

blob Seventh Year

Watchmen is one of my fave movies of all time so I'm definitely interested.

That being said, I agree with Celestin - I don't really see much of a connection between the movie and this teaser. Is it based on something or just the setting? The few people I think I recognized look way older (about 20 years or so) so if it's original series it could really go anywhere.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  6. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

At a guess, it looks like this is set post-movie, and it's about the effects of Rorshach's journal tearing down the new world order Ozymandias established with his "Dr. Manhattan is attacking" scheme. It's hard to say anything concrete, but the cult-esque dudes wearing the Rorshach masks in the opening scream "Adherents to Rorshach's final message", who refuse to accept unification-through-lies and have become terrorists trying to tear it down. The show seems like it'll be following the Watchmen 2.0, the masked vigilantes that crop up to combat them.

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm fucking sick of seeing Watchmen getting prequels and sequels and having all this junk attached to it. Leave it the hell alone.

"Modern day reimagining," ugh, that's even worse.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    According to reddit this is going to be set in the graphic novels universe, not the movie one. I'll spoiler what the GN fake threat was in case anyone wants to go and read ahead of the TV show.

So the Big Bad in the backstory was a fake giant, telepathic, alien squid monster that attacked New York.

9. Celestin

Watchmen - Official Comic-Con Trailer.

Unlike the previous one, this is clearly a trailer for Watchmen sequel with the modern setting and themes. If they handle it right, we may even get something really good out of it instead of an unnecessary continuation that would play it safe by basically redoing the original.

10. Celestin

After the first episode I'm a little conflicted.

On the one hand, I like the general setup and that they went all out of the modern themes. On the other, it feels like it forces it's connection to the comic and some interpretations, like Rorschach's mask being used by the white supremacists, are rather jarring.

At the moment the show would be better if it was a completely new setting inspired by Watchmen instead of its sequel.

Spoiler for the ending of the episode.

I'm surprised that they killed the boss. Not that it was unexpected turn of events, but rather Don Johnson was the most charismatic actor of the episode. The rest was rather lacking. Maybe Jeremy Iron will have more to do in the next one?

11. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I absolutely loved it. I thought it was a great way to show how you cannot control who takes up your ideology and how they'll interpret it and twist it to suit their own ideals. Its a really good analogue of something like Religion and its related extremists.

I am not invested in the Watchmen univerese whatsoever. I only watched the movie and thought it was an ok movie overall.

However, I really love everything about this new show so far. I love that cops hide their identities for the same reason that Superheroes do. Its a really good way to show how the excuse for hidden identities don't make sense.
    I love Regina King and I love her performance so far. She absolutely rocks/

I also really like how the cops and the 7th cavalry are very similar, each believing they are right and justified in their actions, therefore, they are willing to do despicable things to get what they want.

I also really liked the reverse of the cop and white/black man dynamic at the beginning of the episode. That was great for me.

Can't wait to see more of this show. I am completely and utterly hooked.(and yes a large part of it is because black folks are getting a major role in the story)

12. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I enjoyed the hell out of that. But the white supremacists using him as a martyr makes perfect sense, especially if you read the background materials on the website. He sent his stuff out to a far right rag in the end, conspiracy theorists tend to have heavy racist overlaps, that sort of thing

13. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Yeah, I have no idea how well it connects to the canon universe, but I thought that first episode was fantastic. Great acting, great characters, and confusing enough to keep you watching. I thought the white supremacist stuff was handled well. It connected to the modern era without getting preachy.

I'm guessing from that Don Johnson's character wasn't all that he appeared to be. Maybe a secret agent of the Kavalry? There was that old picture that they focused on as he was dressing himself. He might have wanted to get back to the cop who got shot and kill him before he had a chance to talk

14. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Season finale tonight was badass.

15. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    The last episode was beyond phenomenal. The way that they were able to tie up the various plot lines from across the season, the emotional ending to the relationship, and all the little homages to the comics.

Season felt more and more and more watchmen as it progressed, and this episode felt very much like the comics. Tbh with that comics' story told over and over again, this imagining of the world after the end of the comics was much better, and the producers had the freedom to really dig in to the sandbox.

Everyone's been pretty coy about season 2, and I'm not quite sure if I want one. I like this miniseries the way it is.