1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Is A Dragon, And That's Okay by Saphroneth - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by James, Apr 17, 2019.

1. James

James Unspeakable

Title: Harry Is A Dragon, And That's Okay
    Author: Saphroneth
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    Library Category: General Fics
    Pairings:
    Summary: Harry Potter is a dragon. He's been a dragon for several years, and frankly he's quite used to the idea - after all, in his experience nobody ever comments about it, so presumably it's just what happens sometimes. Magic, though, THAT is something entirely new. Comedy fic, leading on from the consequenes of one... admittedly quite large... change. Cover art by amalgamzaku.
    Link: FFN SB

Harry is a dragon. Muggles don't see anything weird, due to various magic all over the world to keep muggles from noticing things out of the ordinary, so the first time he gets any reaction is when he is introduced to magical world.

It's written technically well, has quite a few of nice moments, and has generally well done atmosphere. First year is finished, so we'll see where this goes, but as of now, it's an interesting fic to read to counter many other fics currently written. It's a little light on any kind of 'oomph', and can be best described as a collection of slices of life of a dragon Harry Potter.

I don't quite think this fic is a library material, but it's a nice way to pass the time and will be a nice addition to Almost Recommended category, I think.

3/5 from me.

Added link to SB since there are more updates there. --Zombie

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2019
  2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is vaguely entertaining, in a 'turn your brain off' kind of way. Now and then there are nice ideas that really deserve a more serious fic to flesh them out in, but otherwise it's a fairly casual ride. Not bad, not amazing. 3/5.

3. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've been following this for a while now.

The writing's decent enough, the idea is interesting, and the update rate is pretty good - generally we're getting one or two >1K updates a day. There's been some changes from canon, which is expected, given that Harry's a dragon, but it feels quite downplayed - people are shocked, and there's some bigger responses. But generally speaking, everything is a pretty quiet SoL fic.

Light, fun, but lacking any major sparks. 3/5

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I...

What in the exact fuck did I just read?

3.5/5 for an original idea done pretty well. :)

5. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I mean ... it's interesting, and done pretty well. But...
    This. It's not crack, I guess, but it is absurd. I just couldn't really get into it. I don't want to rate it though, because it was more personal preference than about the quality.

6. DeathShade

DeathShade Fourth Year

I liked it, but nothing much happens. It's almost like a slice-of-life novel with the main plot points of Harry Potter inserted with a twist.
    The humor is okay. Not really laugh out loud, but better than many other attempts at a humor fic.
    I especially like how the fic handles Dumbledore.
    I would give this 3.5/5 rounded down to 3/5.

7. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Blitzed through it on my flight. It's nothing amazing, but it kept a smile on my face throughout so I'd say it did its job just fine. Doesn't take itself too seriously, but doesn't go all the way to crack either. It's a nice halfway point.

3/5 from me

8. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

If you liked ashes of the past, the authors other work, you’ll probably like this. Both have this vague sort of interesting but no agency thing going on. Just imagine if Joey from friends was suddenly a dragon and everything went on as normal. That kind of shut your brain off, spend some time in a familiar situation with people you’re fond of and an amusing but inconsequential twist with zero stakes.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The best way I can find to describe this is that a 6-year old fan of PS/SS would enjoy having it read to them after the first book had been read to them.

It's cute, I guess? The author deliberately cut out any and all tension from the original stories which makes this just... sweet, maybe? I don't know, it's hard to describe.

I don't know how to rate this. Doesn't belong in the library. In my opinion it's too long for what it is, which is a cute little story about Harry being a dragon (and that's okay!). But it's written well enough and I'm reasonably sure it hits the mark it meant to hit.

3/5 - and only because I do think this qualifies as a nice almost recommended story for extremely light reading. I just wish it was complete at ~50k and not hitting the end of first year at ~100k.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  10. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I found this to be a drag and boring to read - far too long for what it tries to do (a cute Harry-is-a-dragon story), I think. I agree with Ched - this is something I can see my 5 yr old daughter really enjoying.

Written well enough to not deserve a poor rating, so 3/5.

11. Changes

Changes Muggle

It's okay, but clearly not the best, it's definitely a tad boring. However, it's a great way to blow time off. There was nothing special about the writer's writing style but nothing terribly wrong either, it just met all the criteria to an ok story but didn't bother to go past the boundaries.
    3/5 for me.

12. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Too long. It would have worked better as a short story with vignettes hitting the highlights.

Still, it was fun and certainly unique premise. 3/5.

13. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Harry Is A Dragon, And That's Okay has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 37
    Words: 230,773
    Updated: 2019-08-08 10:56:38 UTC
    Published: 2019-03-10 19:37:40 UTC
    Previously updated: 14 days ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

14. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

A better link to go in the OP might be the SpaceBattles thread: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/harry-is-a-dragon-and-thats-okay-hp-au-crack.731548/ That one gets updated, like Thaumologist said, about once to twice a day in 1k+ increments. The FFN link seems to only update once the individual mini-arcs are complete.

I actually kind of enjoy this story. Sure, it's never going to be a great story, what with the extremely casual slice of life feel, but it's got some interesting elements and ideas.

One of the things I like most about this story is how it portrays Dumbledore. He was always supposed to be somewhat quirky, which I feel gets lost in the more serious fics, but here he's a genuinely enjoyable character. Some examples:
    I mean this in the absolutely best way: This story is probably the equivalent of a crossword puzzle. Something enjoyable to pass the time, a way to relax and enjoy the setting of the Wizarding World without the tension of the later books.

3.5/5

15. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Cute" is a pretty apt word to describe this. Very slice-of-life, too.

I've never been a fan of child!Harry fics where the poor, naive, mistreated boy acts more like a mix between the author's mouthpiece and a pet dog than a realistic person. He's always this bright, optimistic, open boy who says just the right things to make the currently surrounding adults open their hearts a little. This fic hit quite a few of those notes for me.

It says humor, but I found it quite dry. Albus is nice, but everybody else is pretty meh. It didn't really keep my interest, I found myself skimming for anything to capture my attention.

I can see why people would rate it 3/5, but it's more like a 2/5 for me.

16. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

17. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 39
    Words: 245,997
    Updated: 2019-08-23 15:49:44 UTC
    Previously updated: 15 days ago

18. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 41
    Words: 259,583
    Updated: 2019-09-06 15:06:52 UTC
    Previously updated: 14 days ago

19. thattin

thattin Second Year

This started okay but has definitely started to drag. The introduction of new OC's and lack of any sort of interesting plot has killed any interest I had. First year would be a good 3/5 but second year is a 2/5 and third year probably 1/5?

The whole premise of the fic (Harry being a dragon) pretty much stops mattering after first year and it really starts getting hit with indy cliches. Like why on earth does a dragon need to learn how to dodge spells? Why is becoming an animagus suddenly something everyone should do (with a new super easy way which noone had ever thought of before). Why Marauder names for everyone?

Eh, this had promise but overall 2/5

20. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 43
    Words: 273,116
    Updated: 2019-09-26 11:56:39 UTC
    Previously updated: 20 days ago