1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TOOL: Fear Inoculum

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Zombie, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

[​IMG]
    Since everyone seems to be listening to it, here's a place to discuss the nuances and what drugs you're on while listening to it. I'll post my reactions later.

Code:
    Physical:

1. Fear Inoculum
    2. Pneuma
    3. Invincible
    4. Descending
    5. Culling Voices
    6. Chocolate Chip Trip
    7. 7empest

Digital:

1) Fear Inoculum
    2) Pneuma
    3) Litanie contre la Peur
    4) Invincible
    5) Legion Inoculant
    6) Descending
    7) Culling Voices
    8) Chocolate Chip Trip
    9) 7empest
    10) Mockingbeat

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  2. Zombie

So bump on this as if anyone gives a shit.

I found this to be both enjoyable and disappointing. Overall I'm excited to have a new album and saddened by the fact that there was a two min interlude in which they played synth and static. If I wanted that I'd just turn the TV to the snow channels.

3. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm of a mind with you, Zombie. I downloaded the album and listened to the whole thing, but nothing really grabbed me. If I were going to pull up some Tool, I'd be looking at Schism or Vicarious instead of one of the tracks I already can't remember from this one. Maybe my opinion will change upon further listening, we'll see.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not sure a tool album exists in which I don't skip interludes.

Pneuma and Invincible are my top two tracks. Both are excellent. I'd put them in my all time favourites for the band. Ultimately, I thought this album was traditional tool, but slower. I liked that a lot about it. Means I can listen to it for longer.

Overall, I'm just so happy to not be disappointed.

5. Zombie

Pnuema and 7emptest for me by far. Like I said, happy but kinda let down. And it's not just the interludes themselves. I bought the actual album which was didn't come with the interludes and I still felt like it was missing something.

Now I'm not a super hardcore fan but all this album made me want to do was listen to A Perfect Circle or their earlier tracks.

6. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

I think there would be less disappointment if it hadn't taken 13 years. That's probably unfair but with the wait comes expectations, whether you want them or not. I'm not a hardcore fan of the band either but I like them well enough. I see myself coming back to pretty much any of their other albums before this one, though.

7. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Pretty much it here - Songs are great, interludes of radiohead outtakes not so much. I hate radiohead, but even if I liked it I wouldn't want it here.

Fear Inoculum is pretty good. 7empest is probably my favorite, seems kind of like something that came from Opiate in a way I can't put my finger on, Pneuma is probably my favorite.

I think what's going to really disappoint most people is the lack of an identifiable radio single type song. Tool diehards are going to find something they'll like here, but a lot of people like the band for stuff like Vicarious (my favorite song of multiple decades, really), Sober, H, and the like and aren't as jazzed by prog.

8. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Fear Inoculum is my favorite out of the album. Just a spectacular buildup that is quintessentially Tool. Second is probably Pneuma, though Invincible is pretty close behind.
    Fear Inoculum kind of has that element. The whole drum opener really gets you moving, but the song certainly doesn’t have the immediacy and soul wrenching lyrics Sober had.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Am I the only one that really likes Descending? I think it's Pneuma/Descending, Invincible, Fear Inoculum as a ranking for me now.

I've been listening to this album a lot since it's release. Still really enjoying it, but I find the last two songs forgettable.

This album has cemented Tool as one of my favourite bands of all time.