1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other TV Shows

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Maybe, but I doubt it. More likely, you'd see the streaming services be fairly similar to now, possibly with the introduction of subscription "tiers", with the pricier ones being required for the more expensive licenses. Except that, for example, HBO and Netflix would be competing for eyeballs on Game of Thrones, so prices would fall and/or feature sets would expand.

The competition would be through value delivered to the customer, rather than through the content, in other words.

Though that said, the biggest impact of such a thing would be in the realm of gaming, and the elimination of platform exclusives.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I feel like the markets too saturated. I already get ill as fuck when I find out a shows on some streaming service I don't have a sub to.

3. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Exactly this. Inexperienced farmboys work so well as protagonists because they know as much as the reader about what's going on. Moraine is supposed to have an agenda that new readers/viewers don't know about. She's supposed to do weird, suspicious things, have her motives questioned, be part of the unfolding mystery.

Plus when a series has such distinct and absolute messianic themes, having a bona fide Chosen One and then picking his aunt to be your hero is a bit of a poor design choice.

Is Rian Johnson directing?

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Dark Crystal prequel is out on Netflix, and I have to say, it's pretty entertaining. The visuals are just fantastic.

5. WierdFoodStuff

WierdFoodStuff Slug Club Member

Piracy is looking more and more like the only viable option.
    Even then ,with the lack of DVDs, if you want to watch something that's been out for a while you won't find a good torrent.

Anyway I've just finished the current The Good Place episodes, I was delightfully surprised by how much I liked it.
    It's nothing ground breaking but it's quite good nonetheless.
    Hyped for the last season.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This looks pretty sick

7. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

I'd recommend Unbound on Amazon Prime.

It's a roto-scoped TV show, so visuals similar to A Scanner Darkly.

I would say if you just watch the first two episodes, which are just a half hour each, without watching any trailers or reading about the plot it's super rewarding. I went in knowing nothing and it really was awesome to discover what the show's about.

8. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

That hasn’t been a thing for five years or so now, dude. Sure, Hulu never had them really beat but the accumulated damage of all the other channel specific streams has really been giving them a run for their money. Not to mention, Amazon.

9. Raigan123

Raigan123 Banned

I agree. And at only 5$/month it's pretty cheap. Apple is about to enter the fray.

10. WierdFoodStuff

WierdFoodStuff Slug Club Member

I just binge watched all of Barry in three days, such an amazing and underrated show.
    Didn't know Bill Hader could play a dramatic role like this but he's really great, the support cast is also amazing: Henry Winkler, Stephen Root and Anthony Carrigan are crushing it.
    It's about a veteran turned hitman trying to leave that life behind him and becoming good, in so doing some pretty awful stuff and yet you still root for him.
    Y'all should give it a go.

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Apparently, either they have enough money to Tom Welling isn't charging much these days.
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/tom-welling-will-play-superman-once-more-in-crisis-on-i-1838255257

Edit: and it now seems that Erica Durance will be playing Lois Lane again, which is going to be a bit weird given that she's also currently Supergirl's mother in the show...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  12. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I-Land on Netflix really, really sucks. Terrible script, awful acting. Truly, deeply terrible.

Could not go past episode 1. I would have quit after 15 minutes, but I figured I'd give it an episode to try to convince me.

0/5

13. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

14. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

If I am comparing the streaming services to their cable competitors Netflix is basic cable with its campy, sub par writing and complete trash they call TV shows and movies. Amazon is making a play to be the HBO of streaming with how great their stuff looks visually and their ambition (Wheel of time, Lord of the Rings, The Guys etc).

Netflix needs to fire whoever is in charge of green lighting their original programming. It’s like they want to give every script passed over by a network a chance.

15. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed. It used to be their Original work was really good, even if it was not watched a lot (I still lament the cancellation of Marco Polo). These days, the gems are hidden amongst tons of utter shit.

For example, the new series Criminal is really good. And it's awesome that they have 4 different versions with 4 different plots and characters in 4 different languages, but using the same set for each.

16. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Titans season 2 is honestly pretty good so far. Huge jump in quality.

Still some budget issue though (going after a villain with no suits on when three of your people are powerless is so dumb).

Also not really feeling this version of Bruce. Too British. But all in all it’s a huge jump in quality

17. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Just blew through the entirety of Fleabag over two days. It's amazing, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge is my new future ex-Mrs. Seattle. Just don't tell the current one.

18. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Ok, I have watched two episodes of the second season of Jack Ryan so far and wtf is going on? How the hell did we go from a mostly realistic portrayal of islamic terrorism and its origin that went to some lengths to humanise all its actors and at least tried to demonstrate that good spy-work means more than just torturing people go to Jack Ryan of all people suddenly advocating that possible Russian arms shipping to Venezuela (where they made a poor replacement of Maduro/Chavez with a standard right-wing military leader) equals nuclear weapons stationed there which in turn equals a dead USA with the only possible action being military force because talking is seemingly for weaklings?

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Main trailer for the Witcher tv series. I'd say I remain cautiously optimistic on this one.

20. James

James Unspeakable

Watched the new Jack Ryan series:

- definitely more of pulp fiction and less of analyst being drafted
    - somee changes from book universe, but the tone fits with some of the later books (though the books felt more “compact” due too greer being basically #2 in cia iirc, not some cog in the machine
    - plot felt definitely less focused and more muddled
    - loved the Jack Ryan more than in books

i’ll rewatch, 100%