1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Deverry Cycle by Katharine Kerr

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Majube, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, lately I've been really enjoying this series. I'm going to start in on book 5 soon, but so far I've already finished Act 1 and I admire the high quality of the series. I'd never heard of it before a few weeks ago so I just wanted to recc it to people on DLP because it's definitely worth picking up.

There's a new book in the series coming out in Feb 2020, and I'm looking forward to catching up by then.

e: The first book in the series is called Daggerspell, I randomly picked it up because it was in the fantasy category and I have definitely been grateful these past few weeks that I made that choice.

Daggerspell centers around a girl named Jill and her life and her path to meeting her 'Wyrd' (fate) but its switches pov's a few times throughout and this may be a story about her but she isn't more important then any of the other main characters honestly and thats what makes this book so great. The characters have their high's and lows and you get invested in all their fates and how their character development changes throughout their different lives.

I'd say this book ranked pretty high on my list compared to other epic fantasies,

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    First of all, I would like to apologise for Saez's lacklustre presentation of this series. It's not her fault. She has inhaled the malodorous emanations of too many skunks and suffers from severe neurological damage.

Deverry is a pretty decent series. It's not perfect writing by any means, but it has great worldbuilding in a Celtic styled fantasy setting. The plot features characters being reborn over and over, changing and growing subtly each time. You really root for people seeing them slowly rise above the flaws of their past selves, and the character writing is absolutely on point.

The depiction of the setting is fantastic, as is the way that every single one of the characters is deeply mired within it. Every one of them feels like a Deverry native, not a displaced American. It informs their opinions, motives, and morals to a degree not many authors can pull off.

I'm just on the third book now, but I've already purchased the fourth and have it waiting on my shelf for when I finish.

It was published mid-eighties but I'd never heard of it before Saez brought it up. It's woefully overlooked, so I urge you to give it a shot. It's not a typical action/adventure romp, but it has a unique charm and is made with care.

4/5 is a fair rating.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  3. Dryops

Dryops Second Year DLP Supporter

Well, you've got me sold. Just ordered a copy of Daggerspell, should be getting it in next week. Anything good enough for @Otters is good enough to give a shot on my bookshelf. Once I've had a chance to read, will touch base back here.

4. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

There are e books. It’s 2.50 on kindle and you can also get it on audible it seems, for anyone who’s interested.

I may get this once I dig out the old kindle charger.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

If you want epubs ask me.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you want audiobooks ask me.

7. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you want paperbacks ask me.

8. cucio