1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Craft Sequence, Max Gladstone

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Zombie, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

upload_2018-3-27_18-48-28.png

These better not suck. I'm reading these off your recommendation.

2. Zombie

So, I split this out of the old thread. Its been a while since I read a fantasy series that made me want to read more. The summaries of these books don't do it justice. I find myself saying this for the second time, but this was really better than I expected.

So far, each book has been in the same world and not following the same MC. Each story is also multi-pov.

From the author:
    But its more than that. There is glimmers of urban society, however things have been drastically tilted on their head. Gods are real, and so are wizards, and they hate each other. In a few pages (IMO) the author is able to get you enthralled in the world and engaged with the MCs of the given book. I've found myself more than once trying to figure out what's going on and being amused when I was either off base, or I was close, but not close enough.

I haven't read a series in a while that made me think about it in that way, and its been enjoyable making it to the end of each one. Currently I'm on Full Fathom Five. Which centers around Idols and false gods and how people store their spirit in them like a bank instead of letting someone else manage their soul in a Concern (lots of people contracted to one person) or giving their faith to a god.

Two Serpents Rise has been my favorite so far because it deals with Quechual, the city organization and the history of their lore all take me back to listening to my grandmother telling me stories in the evening, which my grandfather passed to her, about being a young boy in Guatemala.

Mayan, Aztec and the Nahuatl life in general.

It took me a while to actually pick them up, but I'm glad I did.

3. James

James Unspeakable

Is this better in the "Gods are real" sense, compared to American Gods? Because in my opinion, that sucked major balls, but this sounds interesting. I'm just vary of the concept after AG

4. Zombie

It's nothing like American Gods. They play a role but very indirectly. No back room deals. It's mostly humanity post the age of Gods and how the people that over threw the gods are making do now that they're not there to just do everything based on a whim and prayer. Craft or magic in this case is what allowed humanity to fight the gods and it comes from the stars and the darkness in between. So like Godcraft and human craft are distinct.