1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The One Where Harry Potter is Accidentally Super Racist by OlegGunnarsson - K

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Genghiz Khan, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

This is a short oneshot talking about Harry being racist to goblins, almost completely unknowingly. It's small enough to not require a summary bigger than the one I've just given. It's not really a laugh-out-loud fic. It's more of a smile and eyeroll kind of fic. I like it because the premise is kinda new (most authors usually take their Harry in the exact opposite direction) and the author has executed it quite competently. There's no obvious grammatical errors or spelling mistakes other than the consistent "Gringott's", which is bearable. It'll take you five minutes to read, you'll roll your eyes and continue on with whatever else you wanted to do.

I'll give it a 4.5/5 and round it up for the purposes of rating.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  2. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

This is a very short, very quick joke. It's a little predictable from the title what exactly the joke will be, but it's still well executed. It doesn't overstay its welcome and it's a nice palette cleanser for anyone who is goblin-friended out. I think it should be in the library and it's worth the two minute read.

4/5

3. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was short and fun, leaving behind a taste for more, wondering to where it could goes from here.

I think the author rash it little bit and the compression to China doesn't fit completely.

Further if the goblins knew of it, why they didn't attempt to at-least educate him or point him toward better source.
    Kicking him out for ignorance seems extreme?

4/5

4. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Made me smile, and that's all I wanted from it.

4/5

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Real trash bin material here. Wouldn't even put it in almost rec. It's not that it offends me it's just that I didn't find it funny. Shoehorned American insensitivity and just kills me.
    1/5

6. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Extremely meh. Premise is obvious, not very funny, and done before and better.

I guess theres no technical issues?

3/5

7. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Eh

The title gives it away, and I've read the same joke, but better, in other fics as part of a greater story. It could have been worse, but that's not a ringing endorsement by any means.

2/5

8. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

3/5

It's alright-- I was mostly going through it thinking why didn't a goblin say something earlier, especially if Harry is apparently an important business partner. It was funny but I didn't laugh.

9. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Really nice liitle oneshot, though you need to be quite well read in the area of shitty fanfiction for the jokes to land.
    5/5

10. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

It was okay. Made me "hn" in my mind.
    Its short length helps.
    2,5/5 rounded up to 3/5

11. Crownworthy

Crownworthy Banned

There were more than one joke?

I knew where this was going from the very beginning. It's harder for a joke to work when the audience knows it's coming, and this didn't play it different enough for it to surprise me at all. 2/5