1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Entry #3

Discussion in 'Q4.2 2019' started by Xiph0, Dec 23, 2019.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Bane’s Tale

One night, countless moons ago, death spilled from the sky.

While those who did not Know slept and dreamed, all those who could read the stars gazed fearfully at the sight above them. Every constellation as well as each planet and its moons foretold of an inferno of death and destruction that would come.

The centaurs saw it before the clouds even shifted – including Artemis, who cried in the throes of labor as she Saw the world her new foal would enter.

Artemis’s herd did not rest that night. They deliberated under the stars, arguing about what could be done.

"We must stop it!” some of them cried. “We have an obligation!"

“Our obligation is, above all,” the others said, “not to set ourselves against the heavens.”

The factions quarreled till dawn, and Artemis listened quietly as her foal nursed. The herd finally settled into a restless sleep, and as the sun rose, so did she. Artemis knew her path forward.

Her newborn cooed as she gathered him in her arms, and Artemis began the slow trek east to slay the dragon that Mars foretold would one day decimate the forest and the nearby village.

She trudged steadily through miles of forest, sometimes allowing her foal to stumble along beside her. He gasped and gurgled as his mother hunted pheasants with her bow and arrows for sustenance as they journeyed on.

Finally, she reached the cliff she sought and gazed up, up at the cave. She knew it housed the dragon that would destroy all the tribes of beings she’d ever known and hundreds more.

Her eyes sketched out an uncertain path up the cliff face. It would be treacherous, but achievable, with a bit of care and focus. After all, she was a mountain centaur. This would not be her first time scaling steep rock.

She looked over at her foal, who was giggling as he leaped and bucked in a shallow creek. She would have to leave him at the base of the cliff.

He scrambled over to her as she began to scale the cliff face.

Her hooves slipped on shaky ground as she turned back to him. “Stay here, little one,” she said. “I’ll come back for you.”

She fought to block out his piercing wails as she jumped and climbed farther still.

Hours passed as she made careful progress up the wall. She lost her way several times and was forced to retrace her steps whenever she realized parts of the cliff face were insurmountable or that she had strayed too far from the cave.

Finally, as she reached her destination, Artemis peered into the cave.

The Swedish Short-Snout who loomed before her was truly beautiful. The beast’s silvery blue scales caught the sunlight from outside and reflected it softly back, so that Artemis had the vague sense of being underwater as the colored lights moved in slow waves across the walls of the cave as the dragon breathed in and out.

The dragon was splayed out on its side, exposing its belly – and its heart – to Artemis as if it were invincible.

Without a sound, Artemis reached back into her quiver, took an arrow, placed it in her bow, and pointed it at the dragon. Although it was barely perceptible, a weak point between its scales did, in fact, exist. Artemis could see a pathway to the dragon’s heart, though it was as fine and as slight as Eta Carinae in the night sky.

Artemis exhaled as she let go, and she knew even before it hit that the arrow’s aim was true. It plunged deep into the dragon’s body, and the beast never even opened its eyes.

But its roar – oh, its roar.

Artemis ears had never been filled with such perfect agony. Artemis turned and shielded her face as a sudden flock of bats streamed out of the darkness to escape the damnable vibrations of the scream that cracked in a reptilian shriek but reverberated like a lion’s growl. The noise was the sound of punishment preemptively delivered – flailing, wild-eyed innocence grappling with senseless betrayal.

A jet of flame accompanied the sound, and Artemis ran.

She skidded down the cliff face as quickly as she could without falling. The sound died as she ran, and she stopped. She looked up, her hide heaving. She had to know that it was dead.

She climbed once again and stepped into the cave. The beast’s great body was motionless on the cave floor, as still as it had been while in slumber. Except this time, the sunlight from its scales was still. Blood pooled at its heart.

Then, she heard the wings.

An enormous dragon – five times the size of the dragon that Artemis had slain – moved swiftly through the sky, and Artemis heard its quiet flight behind her just in time to gallop to one side of the cave and avoid it crashing into her.

The large dragon, which had been graceful in flight, stumbled as it landed in the cave and encountered the corpse.

The dragon turned to Artemis, agony in its eyes. "Why did you kill my child?"

Artemis began to shiver violently, and she felt Mars tremble with her.

"The stars ... " Artemis whispered. She covered her face, unable to peer into the mother’s eyes a moment longer. "The stars, they ... "

The dragon roared. The noise was tortuously similar to her hatchling's, but deeper, and filled with even more loss. The mother unleashed a jet of flame into the sky, and Artemis wished she would burn her alive.

With another wail of grief, the dragon took flight.

"No!" Artemis cried out after it. "No!"

#​

The dragon decimated the forest that night.

Creatures died while racing in vain to escape the wall of flames. Thestrals and unicorns suffocated in the smoke. Phoenixes and fairies were burned even in the sky by the dragon’s unquenchable thirst for destruction.

Screams and screeches and howls and hoots mingled in the smoke for days until, finally, it was silent.

Artemis lived out the rest of her years with her foal, who she raised in the barren wasteland, alone.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

1028 words - and this is a neat story, though a bit slow to start. The ending helped to 'make' this one, for sure.

This is a bit too abstract to grab me at the start.

So one night all the centaurs noticed that the starts foretold their deaths… except Artemis, who not only saw that part but also sorted out exactly where it was going to come from and set out to fix things? With her newborn in hand? Or did they all get that part too, she just decided not to bother with the debate portion having already made up her mind? I wasn’t quite clear enough on that bit.

That said, I liked the overall goal of this story and the ‘lesson’ it points out.

She tried to fix things and ended up causing them. A nice little analogy in a way to LV and the prophecy – he set it in motion by trying to kill Harry, just as Artemis set in motion the deaths of her people by trying to pre-emptively kill the dragon.

At first I thought momma dragon was gonna go for her foal somehow, but I’m glad you went this direction instead. Going for the foal would have felt like too deliberate a tug on the heartstrings, while this actually works well narratively (and, again, I like the comparison to the canon!prophecy in terms of the person trying to stop being the one to set it in motion, in a sense).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  3. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm sorry to say I didn't like this.

You invoke the name of a god you did not give yourself the right to via the story - the Moon, the Hunt, chastity and sacrifice.

This suffers first from being a story and not a fairy tale. It has none of the trappings of a fairy tale. A fairy tale doesn't operate on the rule of cool, it dulls those edges into whimsy. A fairy tale doesn't name a Swedish Short Snout, that is the purview of science: if you feel the need to borrow from our pool of shared knowledge for description, in the writing of a fairy tale you're better off letting us come to the conclusion that this is, in fact, a Swedish Short Snout. You could even mention its short snout. By making it Swedish and capitalizing, you've capsized yourself.

There is another issue which makes it wholly not fairy tale - it's the delineation of complex emotion.

In another piece, this might be serviceable writing. In a fairy tale, this contorts the imagination and stifles the artistry by being too true. This is only the easiest example of this - it's present throughout the piece.

4. Utsane

Utsane Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Woah, this is really well done.

I'm a really big fan of this, because of the parallels to the Harry Potter series. I really like the idea of self fulfilling prophecies in general, so this story checks all the boxes for me.

5. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This could've been a fairy tale (a dark one) but instead it's more of a Greek tragedy, with aversion to a prophecy bringing about the very result that was feared. You eschew a lot of fairy tale trademarks, and I don't think this quite qualifies for the prompt as a result.

And honestly, I don't quite like it. For a proper slowly-unfolding reveal you need at the very least an undercurrent of "wait, hold on..." which is lacking here. We don't have any indication of the dragon being a mere child. And if Artemis can read the stars well enough to know where the dragon is, shouldn't those very same stars have some indication of how everything will play out? Why did she take her foal with her? Where's the baby daddy? Why is she named Artemis, why doesn't the kid have a name?

Also, a centaur is a foal and a baby both? How the hell does that work, biologically speaking? Foals can stand up incredibly quickly after being born, while babies - need I remind you - cannot. I could've excused this if it was a fairy tale but it isn't, so I'm just left with questions.

6. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I think this would read better as 'to come' rather than 'that would come'.
    I think your first comma should be after the 'and' not before it.
    This is a very, very clunky sentence. You have a propensity, I think, for going for very overwrought poorly-verbed sentences. Possibly to capture that fairy tale tone but it's failing you.
    Can probably just get rid of this. It costs more emphasis than it adds.
    This is a very clunky sentence. Maybe you felt beings was the best way to describe it because that's what they're called by the MoM. But it reads odd. That she should refer to her peoples this way.
    Again, not ideal. I'd rephrase.
    Over-detailed
    loomed and truly beautiful are words quite at odds. I think your sentence is confused.
    Reflecting softly is an odd one again, on reading it in the context it is in.
    You have a tendency to making things more passive than active. In a flash competition with word counts this tight, you can sacrifice words like this to make the story definite, powerful and evocative.
    Clunky.
    Missing a comma before this clause.
    Can probably just get rid of this.
    'Path' would be better than pathway.
    This sentence. Even not reading it aloud, I stumble over it as if I was trying to read it aloud.
    I think this final section is unnecessary. Think about the end of the Hobbit part 2. They ended on Smaug flying towards inevitable death and destruction, and this whole story is showing that by trying to prevent fate she caused it, you should be doing the same thing. You should be hinting at that inevitability (and you probably should've killed her foal from the scree of momma dragon rushing out her cave or something). This epilogue is like the yellow text over the story, saying what they went on to do post film. In this story, this short, this doom-driven, it completely robs the ending of the impact it should've had.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  7. Microwave

Microwave Professor

I liked it enough.

I think it's really just a story that could work better with a bit more length. The big reveal doesn't feel all that big. There's no real buildup that makes it feel meaningful, which is mostly an issue with the constraints.

It's a bit too complex to really be told in a proper fairy tale format, I guess, but it'd be a nice enough standalone story if it was longer and a bit more prose-y.

8. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

So Artemis as a character’s name could work, but I think because she senselessly kills a young dragon and she misreads the stars, her name doesn’t quite work. Artemis in mythology is a peculiar composite of the goddess of the hunt but also a goddess of fertility, wildness, etc., so she also cares about life (especially nonhuman life).

I like the idea of setting events in motion accidentally as a kind of lesson for magical children to be wary of prophecies.

as for the title, should we imagine Bane telling the story? Is he the foal? Or is it a tale of bane, i.e. destruction?

9. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I like this idea of a cautionary tale that centaurs would tell their children. Is that what this is? It’s more than a little unclear what the moral is. Don't fuck with fate? Fate is inevitable? The latter is kind of obvious, no?

Sometimes I like the prose here, and sometimes I don’t. You would benefit from a beta who could take a red pen to this. You need to fix your run-on sentences and cut superfluous words.

10. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like that you told a tale through the perspective of a magical race, but not wizards and witches. This reads like the classic self-fulfilling prophecy, and how despite the power of their gaze, the centaurs-- or rather Artemis-- was blinded to her role. I could see this serving as a centaur fairy tale told to their young, as a caution against ignoring the tribe's wisdom(let this thing come to pass, don't try and fight it).

There might be some flaws here, but on the whole you did your idea justice. Good work.

11. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Damn, this one was really neat.
    I liked the idea of making it a twist on the common dragon slayer fairy tale trope, and also making it a twist on hpcanon as this could be a true fable for why Centaurs can never meddle with what they see as they might not interpret it right.

A nod that I really liked in this is that I can see Artemis from greek mythology being rash like this as well.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  12. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

Your story lives and dies by this line:
    By which I mean than in itself it is quite evocative, and yet the events that occur for it to be possible make little sense.

I'll get the fact that this barely amounts to a fairy tale out of the way, since I tire of repeating my points. Suffice it to say that ill-fate is more a theme for a Greek tragedy than a fairy-tale; accepting your destiny is neither an universal truth nor is something that you should teach your children (and I don't accept that this could be a fairy-tale told to little centaurs, despite the title, this ending is for adults, and the image speaks to adult minds.)

Why did you make Artemis just give birth? I'll answer myself, its for the ending. But it also raises several questions, like, where is daddy centaur? and also, why the fuck would you go on a death-defying adventure with a literal newborn at your side? It really boggles my mind. I don't understand why she is named Artemis either. Ok, she is good at hunting, but unless she is the holy Mary of centaurs she isn't a virgin either.

I love that she leaves her foal at the foot of the mountain where she knows a dragon lies, really working hard for that mother of the year award, but what really annoys me is that after Artemis kills her child momma dragon spares her life for apparently no particular reason. But of course we know that there is a particular reason, its for that ending -_-.

I'll try to be constructive: I believe this story would have fit the mold far better if the protagonist had been a centaur-child, believing that she knows better than the elders (because of her mad skills with a bow) and causing calamity due to her foolishness. But then... (I'll stop).

Not to be brusque, but you overuse paragraphs. There are a whooping 39 in a tale that if Ched is to believed is no longer than a thousand-odd words. And it's not like it's dialogue heavy. Basically you have no excuse missy. Anyhow I caught a few things you might be interested in.

Artemis must be godly strong to be able to pick up a foal in her arms.

I laughed at this, and I don't think I was supposed to. It just brought to me the image of a mountain goat (omit this would be my advice, if you cannot come up with a better name).

I'm not in love with this second part of the sentence. I get what you are going for but you over explain it. Also the usage of 'waves' right after you tell us Artemis has the sense of being underwater feels a bit cheap.

Phoenixes? Aren't they like firey bois?

And here is your Christmas present:

,' " `.
    / \
    : :
    : :
    `.___,'