1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Anonymous Game Signup thread - read, do not post. 1/5 start date.

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by Eidolonic, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Sup.

This is a game I've been considering hosting for a long time. I originally had a game designed around the anonymous mechanic that actively encouraged masking and rewarded the scum team for matching players to their real identities, but decided on running an already established anonymous-based setup instead.

This will be hosted on MU (Mafia Universe), not on DLP, due to me needing to create a bunch of accounts just for the game, and the accounts changing hands mid-game. Signups will be 100% private. Do not post in this thread. Do not talk to anyone else about the game until it is over, either expressing interest in playing, or saying you will not be playing. You can either PM me on the site, or (preferrably) PM me on discord (Cynical#2964 username there, or can just find me on DLP/Little Italy discord servers to poke me).

The game will start January 5th. Phases will be 5/2, Sunday evening through Friday evening. Day start/end will be 8pm eastern/5pm pacific. Lynch will be different than my usual on DLP - it will be plurality. Whoever has the most votes at EoD will be lynched, regardless of whether or not there is a majority. Yes, this is mostly because that's the default on MU's automated software and when in Rome, or something like that.

About the setup:

15 players.

12 vanilla town
    3 mafia goon.

So yes, it's mountainous...but on top of being anonymous, there's a twist. Each night, the scum team can choose to do one of two things - make a standard night kill, killing a town member of their choice, or "kill" one of the mafia, jumping ship into a town member's account of their choice. There be alignments revealed for lynches, but not for the night kill.

So, night result will just be 'Player X has died.'

The question just will be if Player X was a villager or a wolf initially - and if you think they are a wolf, who is no longer still their original self that is living? It creates interesting gameplay for wolves and village alike.

This setup has historically been hosted as a 17 player game, with 14 town and 3 mafia. Mafia even win a decent % of the games hosted. I'm leaning towards hosting it as a 15 player game with the people I anticipate signing up, though this isn't 100% confirmed, it might still end up being a 17 if I'm talked into the anon mechanic and body snatching mechanic being sufficiently mafia sided that it'd still be a competitive game at 17. Mountainous requires pretty hefty balance changes in a meta free environment, as there's no mechanical clears, and unlike most games on DLP, you won't be able to hard clear half the game on D1 without knowing who is even in the game.

And, on that front - please respect the spirit of the game. Yes, you all are going to have a rough idea of who is in the game. You know the people seeing this post (though I'm going to poke at some people who don't exclusively play on DLP, too), and you know who will be interested in a game like this.

Don't signal who you are. Don't deliberately say things that point to you being X. Don't outright claim to be X, and therefore you are town. Yes, you might get lynched even as town, and you might think it's dumb because you never get lynched when people know who you are.

Deal with it.

I'm also banning codes/ciphers for this game. No spelling things out with the second word of every post each day phase, to point back to late game and prove you are still the same person. You'll have to argue you're still yourself based on read consistency, post consistency, and effort. You can post stylistically unique in a way that is hard to mimic, that is fine. You can choose to capitalize/not capitalize things, etc. But deliberately doing something in a way that wolves can't fake by just reading your posts/analysing things is against spirit of the game. Obey it. Also, don't (publicly) speculate on who other people are either!

Also: this setup REALLY sucks to have to have subs for, because subbing players into an anonymous game sucks, and subbing players in to a game where there is body snatching/account jumping sucks even more. Because it's basically a fresh slate and impossible to tell if it's a different person than the original mid-late game. Please, please, please only sign up if you are sure you will commit to the full game. There are long phases, and the game could go one quite a while with 15/17 players, and no vig shots.

There will be a minimum of 15 posts per day phase. With 5 days per phase, that's 3 posts per 24 hours. This is reasonable as a minimum, and MU tracks your daily post count in the automated vote counts. You don't have to post every 24 hours, I'm just using that as an example.

There is no automerge, so 15 posts is not all that many, this is just for 'bare minimum of participation'. Yes, I'm looking at you. You know who you are.

Anyways. This should be a fun game to play in and to follow - hit me up with your /in, your /replace, or your /observer, though I really hope to get sufficient amounts of the first two <3

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  2. Eidolonic

This game starts today. If you want to spectate, or be a sub, hit me up on discord (or PM here I guess), and I'll shoot you link to the spec chat/game thread/whatever you need.

Do not talk about this game publicly, do not mention you are/aren't in a game, whatever. Use brains folks. Good luck to those playing!

3. Eidolonic

Derp.

Here's a link to the game thread itself, if anyone wants to follow (possible subs, spectators that don't want obs chat, etc).

4. Eidolonic

This game ended!