1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP But Doctor, I Am Pagliacci by Acyl - T - DC Comics

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Halt, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Title: But Doctor, I Am Pagliacci
    Author: Acyl AKA Acylion
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action / Mystery
    Fandom: DC Comics
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: Jack Napier, a.k.a. the Joker. After years of madness, he's finally sane. But there's something wrong. Something's not right. According to his psychiatrist, there's no Bat. Nobody in Gotham City has heard of a superhero named Batman. The Justice League doesn't have a guy who dresses like a bat.

And that's wrong. That can't be. Because if there's one thing that Jack knows, it's that there can't be a Joker without a Batman.
    Link: SB | SV | AO3

This is a fascinating Joker-centric fic, and I think easily one of the best stories I've ever read that's based on the comics, besting those two Shocker-centric fics, although perhaps not as good as Metropolitan Man. The prose is serviceable, and the technical writing allows you to muddle through.

The real hook for me so far has been the mystery. From the first chapter, I'm curious what it is that's happened here. Why is the Joker sane? Why is Batman gone? Jack makes for a surprisingly compelling protagonist as we follow along trying to piece together the clues.

After the first mystery is answered (the why), it never sheds it's mystery aspects completely. It keeps you guessing what it is Joker plans to do through some clever narrative arrangements which have been a treat to read.

An easy 5/5 from me.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Very interesting. The premise far outstrips the execution, although that isn't bad by any stretch. The mystery isn't a total shock, once revealed, at least in the broad points, but it's undoubtedly effective, and I'm looking forward to finding out what the resolution is, and how things are going to develop and deviate further - which shouldn't take too long; the update rate looks very promising, including one between me starting to type this review and finishing it.

My main criticism, and it's more of a niggle really, is the wiki/image linking. Sometimes it's useful, filling in background and the like, but at other points it felt a little like the author not trusting his audience.

4/5 for the moment, but definitely potential for full marks by the end.

3. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is much more solid than I expected. A pretty solid 4/5, I think. The linking is a big malus in my book, but I could ignore it.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm not sure about their approach to updating. On the one hand, three updates in two days, two of them since last night, is good...but on the other, it feels like they finish a scene and then upload it immediately, rather than wait until they've got a full chapter. If the updates keep coming, that's fine, but if they slow down it's going to get annoying.

5. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

It's okay? For the premise I honestly think it would benefit from being almost entirely outside of the Joker's PoV as it flattens the character into a generic SB lead when you're seeing through his eyes

6. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

Yes, I hate this. I kind of feel that they should trust their audience and their own writing abilities in order to introduce new characters or elements and if they still feel the need to explain themselves then they should put it in an author's note at the end. It is the equivalent, in my opinion, of sticking author's notes in the middle of text.

Overall, it's a good bit of fun. It's been quite clever and interesting in how it's using various niche elements from the comics and I'm intrigued about where it's going.

7. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I feel like I’m alone in liking/not minding the links. I feel like I’m pretty knowledgable about DC, and it’s easy enough to ignore when I do know so-and-so or a reference.

But when I don’t, it’s nice to be saved the five seconds it’d take me to Google lol.

Anyway- I like the story a lot. It’s an easy read, and like Shinysavage said I hope the updates keep coming because they’re good at whetting the appetite but not very filling.

I’d say an easy 4/5 for me

8. Halt

I don't mind the links all that much. I really don't care to click them, because I'm a big believer thar your story should as much as possible be a self contained narrative that even someone with 0 idea of the fandom can enjoy. Extra knowledge just makes it more enjoyable.

9. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

The links are fine given that the author wants to do a tour de force of DC comics history

10. Halt

This needs one more vote before it can be moved out of For Review.

11. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

I'd say that this is a solid 4/5, as although early on I really did love seeing how the Joker was trying to adapt into a world without Batman, as it went on it just became such a generic spacebattles story, where it's just a constant parade of niche DC characters showing off their shit, and the Joker becoming so much more bland than he should be. It's still a good read, just not as good as what it could have been.